• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help buying a tag trailer

superdigger

I am looking to upgrade my current triaxle 9 ton trailer to a 15 ton tandem tag trailer. I need the trailer to be 30' long including the 5' beavertail, with pintle hitch, and electric brakes. I'm using a GMC 7500 to pull it and it and it does not have air. I am using the trailer to move a Bobcat T190 and Bobcat E42 with a few extra buckets/attachments. These 2 machines weight about 18000lbs together plus the weight of a few attachments. I am looking for a good trailer for $15,000 or less, I've looked at cam superline, gatormade, PJ, Corn Pro, Millano and maybe a couple more. I have NO IDEA what one is a good trailer and what one isn't. I've done a lot of research on trailers and it always seams that each brand has a few haters and haters always seem to be the most vocal. Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I've had a few Eager Beavers over the years--always were good to me as is my present 10 ton Evans trailer.Look for structural details like pierced frame rails and the beefiness of those rails.Beaver tail angle,apitong or oak decking,amount of tie downs,type of lighting also should be scrutinized.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a Betterbuilt 50K+ tag, a TrailKing 12K lb, a Trailer World 14K gooseneck and a skid steer trailer I can't remember who makes it. Out of the trailers I have owned, the Trailking is by far and away the best made trailer. I have always heard good things about Eager Beavers but never owned one.

This is what my recommendation would be - http://www.trailking.com/trailers/?trailer_id=18

Just be sure when you are comparing Manufacturers, you look at how they rate the payload on the trailer. Not all 10 ton trailers will haul 10 tons, some manufacturers rate their trailers less the weight of the trailer, so a 10 ton less 2500 lb trailer weight for example, would only give you 17,500 lb of payload.

TrailKing rates their trailers for the payload they carry.;)

superdigger

thanks, i sent an email to trailking, we'll see what they come up with. Ive contacted PJ trailers today as well, might go with these guys, decent price and from the reviews Ive read on them, seem to be a decent trailer...

lumberjack

...TrailKing rates their trailers for the payload they carry.;)

The specs I looked at didn't, and I don't recall seeing anyone rate a vehicle like that.

Another thing that's rarely included on smaller trailers in the rating is the weight you carry on the pin/ball/pintle. GVW is usually just the axle rating.

Jim Dandy

I have a 20 ton Eager Beaver (2000) which as been a good trailer. I just bought a Felling 6 ton tilt deck for skid steers and minis. I am very pleased with the trailer. I paid 7500 for the Felling and have no regrets. My research indicated trail king was also a very good trailer. Research the trailer posts on this forum and you will learn a lot. Someone here had a rough time with a Cam Superliner. Dexter axles apparently have readily available parts. So if it doesn't have Dexters that would be an issue for me. Good luck

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
105_0359.JPG

I would second the Trail King. I have this 25T triaxle Trail King that I use to transport a 160 primarily. However I also use it to haul a mini ex and skid steer. I also think Towmaster is an excellent trailer OEM. They also rate their trailers by their actual capacity. Very well built and well thought out.

superdigger

anyone have an idea what a 12 or 15 ton trailking is worth?
I have sent them an email, just waiting for a reply...

superdigger

i have been looking for used ones but it is very hard to find one that is 30' long with electric brakes. For me to buy something out of the states is the same as buying locally, canadian dollar is basically the same as the USD, I would just have to pay the taxes at thr boarder.

superdigger

so I think i have it narrowed down to either a PJ or Gatormade trailer. The other guys dont seem to interested in taking my $15,000. My gatormade dealer that I was talking with said that he could take a 12 ton trailer and upgrade the tires to a heavier tire which would enable him to rate the trailer for 30,000lbs instead of 24,000lbs. Even though the axels stay the same...? Not sure about how that works, or if I'd just be overloading and wrecking my new trailer...
Both PJ and Gatormade have quoted me around 13000+tax for basically the same trailer.

Mapleleaftrucks

Did you try J C Trailers in Keswick, Ontario. I have one of there tag a long trailers thats rated for 48000 lbs it has been a good trailer and well built cause i have had as much as 70000 lbs on it and never had any troubles.

Mapleleaftrucks

They manufacture them there and you can order what ever you want, I went there and looked at there trailers and plans and then they built the trail the way i wanted it with a 8'6" x 30' deck,3' beaver tail, and 5' ramps, tri axle with duals, Idid not have a truck with air brakes at the time and did not want electic brakes so i went with vaccum over hydralic, Was just a small vaccum pump to install on the truck that was belt driven. That was 20 yrs ago now and i still have the float, never had any trouble with the frame only been painted once and looks like new, have broke a lot of springs and blown tires but thats my fault for over loading it, No idea what they are worth now but i paid $17 k back then but it was worth it

superdigger

I called them, they didnt seem too interested. They gave me a phone number to arbour welding, and told me to talk to Arbour welding about trailers and if that didnt work out to call them back. Seems like another company that is not interested in my money... I think I'm going to order a PJ trailer, they have been good to deal with and I have read some really good reviews on them. They also have no problem building the trailer the way I want it... anyone have some more info on PJ trailers?

dumptruck

We have two Kaufman tag trailers at work. We have a tri axle 35000gvw electric braked trailer. They tow real nice. The only thing to watch for with these guys if you spec a new trailer make sure to ask for dexter axles and brakes. Right now were trying to figure out wich axles are under neath ours because there not 10000lb dexter axles like they said.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I called them, they didnt seem too interested. They gave me a phone number to arbour welding, and told me to talk to Arbour welding about trailers and if that didnt work out to call them back. Seems like another company that is not interested in my money... I think I'm going to order a PJ trailer, they have been good to deal with and I have read some really good reviews on them. They also have no problem building the trailer the way I want it... anyone have some more info on PJ trailers?

When I first bought my larger mini (12K machine) I needed a bigger trailer. I bought a 20', 14k PJ. I used it for one year and sold it. It was a complete POS. It just was not built well enough. The first time I drove the Takeuchi up on to the trailer the ramps bent. The hitch mount was too light. I dont think that all PJ trailers are built like the one I had but, I am done with PJ trailer.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Have you checked out JC trailers ? .... i'm thinking they're maybe in your back-yard ..... they are located in Keswick Ont. ......a local Contractor out here has a single axle double drop low-bed w/ a jeep and booster that he adds when the road restrictions come on this time of year .... I know you are looking for a pintle hitch and not a king-pin style, but this trailer the way it was custom built for him REALLY impressed me ........... Check them out .... www.jctrailers.ca

superdigger

Craft, if you look back in this thread I posted about them. I called them and they passed me on to some welding shop as soon as I told them what I was looking for. Guessing they don't make those kind of trailers anymore?? But thanks for the tip!