• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy equipment Welding repair

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
This is the short cut I use when replacing cutting edges on mini with dozer blade . Clean up old blade stitch weld new blade top and bottom to old one. I like using a tapered loader edge ,putting taper up so dirt doesn’t get stuck on blade. This way takes about 3 hours compared to removing blade air arcing old edge off cleaning up and rewelding. I’ve done a few this way and never had problem

Bls repair

Occupation
Talk about not having a clue , had a guy call me to repair a jbc skid steer he said it had crack take about a hour to fix . I told him I get four minimum on road calls . He said ok. This is what I found.

Bls repair

Occupation
I fixed it . Had to get creative with repair because he bent the l shaped boom trying to knock out a big stump .
By continually using it while under stress from bent boom ripped it apart ,lack of grease didn’t help. Ground broken welds and cracks to get ready for welding. Welded up all the cracks left mounting ear loose to adjust for bent boom .mounted back on machine ,rolled bucket bucket back and forth so it would find it’s happy spot . Put a baby tack on it for test to see if it would bind and break . All good welded it all up . The ear moved 1/4 to3/32” from original position .. 5 hours prep ,2hours welding , sorry forgot finished photo

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Don't you just love it when they call and know exactly how long it will take to fix something. I am to the point I tell them " If you know so much how come you don't fix it yourself"

Bls repair

Occupation
Had a guy that wanted a deck fixed on a cub cadet zero turn . It was bent down 2” in the center .i gave him a rough price of $200-$300 to straighten , reinforce with a guarantee for1 year . He told me another guy fixed for $50 last year . He asked if it was a bad design. I said yes it was . He told me he was going to take his 5 year old mower back to the dealer and demand a new deck because it was a bad design. I told him “good for you”.:rolleyes:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Know the type all too well
Was also my response as to knowing the time to repair have at it. I would decline to entertain wasting my time proving them wrong!!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm mostly an electrician.
Don't you just love it when they call and know exactly how long it will take to fix something. I am to the point I tell them " If you know so much how come you don't fix it yourself"
That makes it cheaper if they make it clear it's a little job. I'm an electrician. They usually go on to explain they could do it themselves, but don't have time.
I hand these people a screwdriver, and tell them "That'll be $11.63." If they seem confused, I explain; "You don't need an electrician. You need a screwdriver."

Bls repair

Occupation
Did some work for local paving contractor ,his truck drivers weren’t fond of cranking up the jack on tag along up very high. Took out four of them in a years time. I finally suggested putting a 6x6 under the jack so the foot would start out higher . Cheaper to replace a 6x6 then a jack:D

Bls repair

Occupation
Just had a call from a guy wanting me to fix an edge on his bucket . He said it was just put on ,hit a stump and broke half of it off. Told him my rate and minimum hours for a road call ,said it was to much ,only a little job

My question is why didn’t he get the original welder to fix it?