1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Heavy equipment Welding repair

Discussion in 'Welding' started by Bls repair, Nov 18, 2017.

1. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

On flat work, you can really go to town, though. I like 7014, too. 7014 will glue rust particles together.

DMiller likes this.
  2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Burned a lot of 1/4" 7024 building large oilfield tanks. Also burned a lot of 1/4" 7018 working on vessels. 7024 is fairly easy to burn as it's basically a drag rod but there's a big difference going from 3/16" 7018 to 1/4" 7018. 1/4" runs around 350 amps and welds a lot nicer when the piece is hot but preheat is usually required when using it. Spent 2 full 10 hour night shifts working with a buddy welding a nozzle and repad on a 2-1/2" thick vessel. The repad was cut for a 24" nozzle but the nozzle was only 20". They figured is was less expensive to weld it up than have a new repad made. Everything was beveled for 100% penetration and the repad was cut in half because there wasn't enough room to weld the nozzle with it tied to the flange on the nozzle. So 2 more fully beveled welds to do. Had to use 2 tiger torches for initial preheat. Time went by pretty fast welding it and it was still pretty hot when we came in for the next shift. I don't how many hundreds of pounds of rod went into that weld. Flux-Core wasn't approved for vessels at the time. All the weld on the repad had to be ground flat with only a 3/8" fillet weld showing around the nozzle. We made sure not to be build up the weld too much or we'd be grinding for hours.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    DMiller and DB2 like this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Laid on my back on a creeper under a inner hull on a barge laying 7/32 drag rod
    Believe it was 7024 but been 35+ years ago sewing replacement hull plates together
    Hard to weld in less than 24” headroom.

Coaldust, Paul Council and DB2 like this.
  4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I'm an electrician. I've no choice but to be multilingual.
    A customer calls it a plug, a plug in, a socket, a switch, an outlet. Code calls it a receptacle. My supplier only recognizes a number, typically T5320-I. NEMA calls it CR15T-I in any case it is a 15 amp duplex receptacle, with tamper resistant feature.

I try to be tolerant of translation issues within a given language. The thing that really brings out the ire in me is the term 110 or 220. With the exception of translation problems from Chinese products, I have not seen a device designed for 110 or 220 in my 64 year lifespan!

Tinkerer, DMiller and John C. like this.
  5. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Harder still to squirm when a big one goes inside your clothes

DMiller likes this.
  6. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I don't know why but I call 110-220 when I know there is no such thing. I don't know why it's in my head but it's stuck there. No idea why those numbers are used.

PLEWLANDSBOB and DMiller like this.
  7. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

1/4" 7024 or jet rod . we used to burn that on A C machines

DMiller likes this.
  8. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I try to keep my ability to weld and fabricate under the radar, im no pro but can do ok, i will stick with the truck repair of given a choice. Became real fond of Lincoln dual shield in 1/16 forget which product exactly, only thing i didnt like was how hot it was. FB_IMG_1603456055809.jpg

Tugger2, DMiller, John C. and 4 others like this.
  9. Welder Dave

Not fun in tight area's. I had to crawl 15' inside an 18" pipe to back weld the 45 deg. corner of a fire tube. You can barely move let alone weld. You can get pretty cramped up if you're in there for awhile and then you have back out.

DMiller likes this.
  10. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    I am tired of welding and grinding really. I dont mind little bits when I got to but big dirty projects are work for sure. I know a lot of guys looking fwd to retirement and rebuilding rusty cars,,,, not for me. But if I gotta mechanic would just as soon do a hard ass fix it job vs the endless trouble shooting of modern problems. The bad news is,,,,, its broke. The good is,,, we will have it running again working like it should a couple 3 hrs from noe with the scrap pile and 15$ worth of welding materials and even smear some right color paint over it on occasion.
    But then again we tend to fix a lot of stuff others replace. I pulled a turn sig lever assembly out the other day. Was easy to jump that new was 28 and on the shelf, 10 minutes each way or wait on delivery and I hate to run them ragged. But, loose screw and rebenda tab and a shot of spray and stuck it back in 10 minutes later. Old ass car/truck and its gonna outlast it easy, worse thing can happen is it fail and we already have it out, we fix it again but given the amount we do this its well worth the risk.
    Throwing another 30 at it for a new China part wasnt gonna mkake it work any better. Generic cheap parts are cool though, a voltage regulator but we fix anything given its practical.
    Its hard to get customers to calm down on occasion. Was gonna charge off and buy a 400$ junk generator an hour away, one of those spray painted deals but often hard tosell the hour or 2 for 100$ toget the old one working, should always tell them I do it for 2,,,, ha but shate. If I have to buy all brand new everythime a brake stuck I would never go anywhere.

DMiller likes this.
  11. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Because at one time they were. My Grandpa used to tell me to "Pour on the coal" when we were driving around and he thought I was going too slow, lol. We still use HP when KW makes much more sense...

DMiller likes this.
  12. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    The welder has a huge advantage in equipment repair even if it aint 40 hrs of the week. I know guys build a lot of their biz around it in some sense, lawn care, ag,,, the equipment looks different in mine than some others where we weld and paint.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Building some barn doors for a small dump truck 83C7A34C-8E42-4378-B10A-4106B5590637.jpeg 37DB1191-2CA1-41FD-95AA-5A71FAE7F9F3.jpeg D36C2C69-4688-4B59-B300-ED0701A49F51.jpeg D36C2C69-4688-4B59-B300-ED0701A49F51.jpeg

14. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    A few more 5F8A0E9A-B7A7-4E45-BD13-7C011DEFA65D.jpeg E27F41C9-2FDF-47D4-9D6A-30581F2F9E12.jpeg 440EC2B6-AC7F-41F7-A4C3-8E9C955E9360.jpeg 278E7783-1141-4221-91AB-0149B7354323.jpeg

Tugger2, John C., DMiller and 2 others like this.
  15. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Waiting for parts for my LN7 wirefeed,but needed to get some production with stick. P5282523.JPG P5282522.JPG
    3 3/16" 7016 tacked together with the mig . Arc air for a stinger + 350 amps on the old Lincoln.

Attached Files:

Jonas302, DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  16. Welder Dave

350 Amps is really hot for 3/16in. rods. Sometimes you gotta make use with what got.

DMiller likes this.
  17. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Works great when you burn them 3 at a time though

TNB, John C. and DMiller like this.
  18. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Woa! I have not seen that trick thank you tugger. Of course I have nothing available to me that would even heat up a single 3/16 much. My old tombstone would have a really short duty cycle.

DMiller likes this.
  19. Welder Dave

You learn something new every day. Have never heard of burning 3 rods at a time. I burned some 3/32 Innershield wire (NS3M) that could easily go through a 50lb. spool in under 2 1/2 hours. It comes in 1/8 too. A 600 amp Innershield gun needs the big heat shield on it.

DMiller likes this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    What is that you are constructing, with a weight over 5200lbs?