• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have your ever had a skidloader rollover

Wawrecker

In doing interior demo we use 453/463 Bobcats alot which are about 35" wide. Driving over a 2x4 too fast will put them on there side. Happens fairly regularly with guys that havent run this size. Also its easy to bend the lift arms if you have the bucket over 70% up and you pull down on a ceiling or something, something to watch out for. Its kinda funny is that you dont know you bent them until you smell the seals burning.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
A self leveling bucket is a savior in that case. First time I was in a skid no one had told me about that problem and I had only run self leveling wheel loaders before. I dumped a load of dirt on the roof and in my lap, fortunately it was just dirt. My Cat has a self leveling switch that is a Godsend.

I've had the machine tip forward due to too heavy a load in the bucket, but was able to react quick enough to lower the boom to avoid standing on the nose.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I haven't put one on its side, but I did have the bank give way a little when backfilling a sewer tap. I ended up with the 4" PVC cleanout stack pointing at my head, about 18" away. :eek:

I was on a job once, with another operator on the (tracked) skidsteer, carrying away the spoil pile I was making with the excavator. Somehow, he planted it on its side, (with his boss about 50 feet way.) After the initial OH ****! moment had passed, (and he'd exited the machine), I just motioned for him to be quiet, and I reached over with the excavator, grabbed the side of the skidder bucket, and stood it back up. To this day, only he and I know it ever happened. :cool2

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
Never rolled over, but I stood mine up on the rear door. I had been telling my dealer that I couldn't load the machine on my trailer without an attachment up front, that the front end was too light and would come up in the air. He told me to just ride it out, that it would come back down after a bit. A few weeks later I was in the position where I was trying to get up on without the attachment and rode it out like he suggested. I ended up seated like an astronaut at liftoff, staring straight up at the blue sky.

I shut the machine down right away and went to get my come along. I attached the come along to the attachment plate on front and then to a D ring on the trailer and winched it down. I crept the machine forward until it was level and would stay down on it's own. So much for riding it out!!

I've been in spots a couple times where I thought the machine was going to go over, but I had the backhoe on in each case, that boom makes an excellent counterweight and can get you out of some precarious spots!

Steve, I have the same problem and found that I can back it up the ramps with no problem by keeping the bucket close to the gound.

BIGBEN2004

Steve, I have the same problem and found that I can back it up the ramps with no problem by keeping the bucket close to the gound.

Yea that would be my suggestions is to back it on if the front is light without a bucket on the machine. We have a 1845C on the farm with 200 pounds of counterweight on the back and when their is no attachment on it the front won't stay down for nothing and will never even begin to climb a ramp on a trailer.:eek:

ronburgandy

I haven't put one on its side, but I did have the bank give way a little when backfilling a sewer tap. I ended up with the 4" PVC cleanout stack pointing at my head, about 18" away. :eek:

I was on a job once, with another operator on the (tracked) skidsteer, carrying away the spoil pile I was making with the excavator. Somehow, he planted it on its side, (with his boss about 50 feet way.) After the initial OH ****! moment had passed, (and he'd exited the machine), I just motioned for him to be quiet, and I reached over with the excavator, grabbed the side of the skidder bucket, and stood it back up. To this day, only he and I know it ever happened. :cool2

hey, lots of guys would have pointed and laughed... KARMA

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
The trailer rollover reminded me of my buddy who forgot to close the pintle hitch. He was going down the road and got passed by the trailer with 1845 on it. he later said when he saw it passing him "Hey that looks just like the one behind me."
It was....... it yanked the safety chain loops open, passed him, blast threw a huge wooden billboard, clipped a telephone pole on right side ripping the axles out from underneath the trailer (I mean the whole way out, nothing half about!) spinning it so the left side dug in the ground and over on to its side. The skid loader managed to stay on the trailer though bout the same as that one!
Not sure which was the biggest mess; the trailer and its path of carnage or the one in his pants!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ronburgandy! :drinkup

Abe0389

thats how a trailer rollover should look. The skiddy should stay on the trailer..to many times i see the skiddy break loose cuz being poorly chained and it causing more injurys.

7AXLES

Occupation
Haul big toys
Never quite understood why people want to pull a skidloader witha 1/2 ton pickup truck AND usually no trailer brakes.....I got grandkids out there on the road!!!

dngrdave2000

My Dad dumped the 1814 (36" wide) on it's side in the basement (lowering the floor) it banged him up pretty good, he was sore for a couple of days. We just hooked up a cable come along and pulled it back upright, it ran no problem.

I'm a bit paranoid about rolling it myself, I'm always ready to put the arms down, and I don't do side inclines. I've scared my self straight with too many near misses.

30 dirty years

Occupation
Jak of all trades
We pulled an 8000 gallon tank out and I was back filling the hole with sand, I was using an 1845 case with an oversized bucket on it , I raised it a little to high and with the bucket over the hole it rolled in.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,725

xcavator120

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I've never tipped one, but came close. Boss had me take the Case 1845 and scrape the mud/dirt we had tracked onto the street. I had the bucket tipped forward, and enough down pressure to raise the front wheels off the ground. This was the common way we do this. Well I hit a joint that stuck up just enough for the bucket to catch on. The next thing I know it was sky-street, sky-street. I has hanging on as tight as I could to those handles. Couldn't convince myself at first to let go of them. Luckily there was no traffic, and if I had not been wearing a seatbelt, I would have been pitched out the front like a rag doll.

henrysdad

my husband just bought a bobcat. i'm on here looking for an answer to a question he has. can't post a thread quite yet. but you guys are scaring me now, he's already had one small mishap with it while i wasn't home. have already figured out i can't leave home when he's running it. A WOMAN'S WORK IS NEVER DONE!!!

k45

my husband just bought a bobcat. i'm on here looking for an answer to a question he has. can't post a thread quite yet. but you guys are scaring me now, he's already had one small mishap with it while i wasn't home. have already figured out i can't leave home when he's running it. A WOMAN'S WORK IS NEVER DONE!!!

Yes, they can be tippy but the occupant is heavily protected, more so than in probably any other piece of farm or construction equipment. Yes, there have been mishaps noted here, but I don't think anyone has gotten hurt in them.

Ken

Allgood

I've gone over several times on an old junk machine a neighbor owns. The worst was when I was unloading some marble slabs for him and he had loads of counter weights on the back. I managed to just back over the side of his driveway where it goes about 200 yards down a mild grade to his pond. The machine went over backwards as soon as I started to move back up onto the driveway. I have no idea how many times it went over, but those rear weights were scattered all over the place by the time it quit flipping. I was so ticked because I kept telling him that the machine was waaaay over loaded with counter weights but he kept assuring me that it was just fine and he used it that way all the time. Found out later that he'd never had that many weights on the back before. :mad:

I'm now looking to buy my own machine and was wondering if the newer tracked machines are more stable? I think his was some older Gehl machine. I'm looking at a little ASV RC50 machine. Any comments on how it's stability would be compared to older wheeled machines? Thanks in advance for advice on the matter.

Wolf

Yes, they can be tippy but the occupant is heavily protected, more so than in probably any other piece of farm or construction equipment. Yes, there have been mishaps noted here, but I don't think anyone has gotten hurt in them.

Ken

You are right about the protection, but tipping can still be dangerous. At the minimum, you will pull muscles straining as a natural reaction against the skid steer going over. Be careful and safe out there, and of course, wear your seat belts.

tacotory

I came really close to rolling mine a month or so ago. I was mowing along the side of the road to goes into our house and there was a drainage ditch that was covered with grass that I couldn't see. I dropped down into it and nearly rolled over the edge, but the mower had made it to the other side and I was being held up by the mower. The right front was completely off the ground with about 10' of air below.