• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have your ever had a skidloader rollover

Fishfiles

I admit it

Yes , many years ago I flipped a 763 with tracks over foward will back filling the flood wall along the river in the French Quarters with pea gravel , they had install a French drain system and needed a layer of gravel , the gravel doesn't support well , got too close to the edge and it slid forward and rolled over onto it's roof , I was not hurt and able to get out it took two machines to get it back on it's feet and up the enbankment which was about 8 ft , minor damages and it was working again before the day was over ---------

Serv

It happened to me in my current skid steer about 8 years ago while clearing brush around a pond by my workplace. What happened was the dead tree I was knocking down kept my front tires off the ground while I was moving forward and next thing I knew, my front tires were over some severe erosion and when the tree branches stopped holding my front tires up, it went over on it's left side.

It went over about 45 degrees more than sideways (kinda halfway to upside down) and I hit the cage pretty hard with my left upper body. First instinct was to shut the engine down then I called in a Cat backhoe for help. He flipped me straight up with no problem whatsoever. I checked the fluids, fired her back up and was back in business. I've been a lot more careful since then and still use the machine on a daily basis. :D

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Never rolled over, but I stood mine up on the rear door. I had been telling my dealer that I couldn't load the machine on my trailer without an attachment up front, that the front end was too light and would come up in the air. He told me to just ride it out, that it would come back down after a bit. A few weeks later I was in the position where I was trying to get up on without the attachment and rode it out like he suggested. I ended up seated like an astronaut at liftoff, staring straight up at the blue sky.

I shut the machine down right away and went to get my come along. I attached the come along to the attachment plate on front and then to a D ring on the trailer and winched it down. I crept the machine forward until it was level and would stay down on it's own. So much for riding it out!!

I've been in spots a couple times where I thought the machine was going to go over, but I had the backhoe on in each case, that boom makes an excellent counterweight and can get you out of some precarious spots!

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I was on a job site once and saw one on its side, while grinding trees. The "driver" was backfilling a trench that was like 10 ft wide and 8-12ft deep. He was between the trench and a block retaining wall :)beatsme why the backhoe operator would put his spoiles on that side of the trench is beyond me) and had very little room to move. This guy was going balls out, the front left tire went off the edge. That was all it took, and she was over. When i got there about 2 min latter the dumb azz was trying to right himself!:eek:

TALLRICK

The only mishap I ever had was 20 years ago when I was operating a Bobcat for a summer job. I was removing debris from a fence destroyed by a car crash. After loading the dumpster I was waiting on the front lawn of the home for the truck to come back and get the Bobcat when I was rear ended by an out of control pickup truck and flipped me over. I did hit my head on the cage and felt a bit dizzy , but otherwise was unhurt The driver who hit me flipped over and hit the remaining block fence and left in an ambulance. I was told that if the Bobcat was not there the truck would have hit the house instead.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
The only mishap I ever had was 20 years ago when I was operating a Bobcat for a summer job. I was removing debris from a fence destroyed by a car crash. After loading the dumpster I was waiting on the front lawn of the home for the truck to come back and get the Bobcat when I was rear ended by an out of control pickup truck and flipped me over. I did hit my head on the cage and felt a bit dizzy , but otherwise was unhurt The driver who hit me flipped over and hit the remaining block fence and left in an ambulance. I was told that if the Bobcat was not there the truck would have hit the house instead.
amazing how crashing in a certain spot is contagous. We have a corner on the other side of town that seems to go 10 or so months between wrecks, then we get 3 in a month or so all in the exact same spot. Never have figured that one out. Be careful when working somewhere that someone has crashed, the next lemming might be on the way.:pointhead

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
When I was buying my first skid steer I went to test drive a low hour machine Cat were offering. It was on loan at the time and I asked about the machines background; Most skids steers here in the West will get Sand Tyres fitted at the dealer. A popular tyre for sand work at the time was called an EcoCat or something similar...a radial road bias tyre. Anyway, the machine I was looking at was (when new) fitted with sand tyres and sent down south to its new owner.

The owner decided oneday to pop a wheelie for the boys and one of the rear tyres blew out when it was up on the back wheels. The machine went over hard and the impact (inside the cab) resulted in head injuries that were fatal. I didn't buy that machine and I've pretty much stuck to plys in my tyre choice. The dealer of those particular tyres stopped importing them for awhile...I believe.

Ralph

Only a young fool would tip a skid steer…

So how come this old fool ended up on his side joining this exclusive club?

My mission was to remove a pesky little holly tree up the hill next to Hole 11. www.stonemountainclub.com/page21.php There was a stump right above it so I had to work at a slight angle. Little did I know that little tree was a judo expert.

Now that we had the skid steer lying on the side of the mountain, we had a good excuse to interrupt the manager’s Sunday afternoon to bring out the back hoe. “After you’re done putting it right side up, how about taking out the holly tree and the stump”. Mission accomplished. Love it when a plan comes together…

I highly recommend hard hats and seat belts to you young fools so you can grow up to be a old fools!

By the way, if you are a golfer, Stone Mountain Golf Club is really a great mountain course that overlooks the NC Blue Ridge Parkway. It's one of the hidden gems. The golfing is almost as good as the skid steering!

Simbo

Count me in

Cleaning up over 200 fifty year old plus trees blown down by Katrina on my property and racing to complete before the FEMA deadline for picking up debris by the side of the road.
The stump I was hauling had a root ball too large to carry the weight low so I lifted it high enough to keep from dragging. The right tire spun off the rim of the LS170 while going up a slight incline and next thing I know I'm brushing dirt off the side of my bald head.
Wenched it over checked the fluids and fired it up. Ran great till it burned to the ground last year. (check your fire extinguisher mine did not work) Really upset that I lost it till I figured out it gave me excuse to go bigger.

TALLRICK

It's funny that the ctl stayed attatched to the trailer, and the trailer stayed hitched to the truck. I remember seeing the result of a trailer with a backhoe on it disconnecting and going over an embankment years back.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
Wasnt there someone on the board talking about towing a large skid with a Dakota? That is a good example of why it is a bad idea.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
There's a discussion here somewhere about this accident. These same pictures made an appearance a year or so ago. I think the question here was if anyone had rolled a skid steer while operating it.

PROCUT1

That certainly is a small truck for that size machine. Hell if you go on any lawnmowing message boards guys are worried about towing a 5x8 trailer with a pushmower using anything less than an F-550

HeyUvaVT

Steve I was the one that posted those pics last year..found them on a site that shall remain nameless...

To add to this topic however...I have not rolled our RC100 but I have very nearly tipped it over forwards and I know of someone in Georgia with the same ctl and mulching head we have that did in fact tip it forward and nearly took a log to the face...I will look for some pics to post this evening when I get home....

BIGBEN2004

Steve I was the one that posted those pics last year..found them on a site that shall remain nameless...

To add to this topic however...I have not rolled our RC100 but I have very nearly tipped it over forwards and I know of someone in Georgia with the same ctl and mulching head we have that did in fact tip it forward and nearly took a log to the face...I will look for some pics to post this evening when I get home....
I have heard of incidents where people have raised the bucket or attachment over something and then tipped the machine over and had an object come in the cab and stab though them and into the seat and pin them in or kill them instantly. As operators sometimes we need to think more before we do something.