• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Welder Dave

Wow! I certainly I wasn't trying to poke the fire. Being a welder I think the machine is quite interesting from a fabrication and design stand point. I'd sure be proud if I was involved in building something unique like that. Would be interested in knowing what it does.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Was looking at the very first couple of pages of this thread recently, the initial involvement in buying this truck and the history of the 13/14 builds. Scrub puller's comments and the answers supplied about the desire for a robust vehicle that could be repaired by parts on hand down the far end of a logging show really summed it up. Really good to see the resto of this classic, thanks.

callingtheshop

Diamongtguy, I thought of something a few days ago about a hydraulic clutch that might be helpful.
A few years ago my 2008 Mazda pickup had a pilot bearing failure so I had it replaced and the hydraulic clutch felt "different".
The service man suggested I keep the clutch peddle depressed overnight to help bleed the system.
I was skeptical but got the correct length of a 2x4 and left it depressed for nearly 24 hours and it actually worked and the clutch felt good again.
I didn't want to jinx the results so I was about 3 months before I went and thanked him for the tip.
Just an idea...

Born2clearcut

I had trouble bleeding a Ranger. Ended up taking out clutch pedal master cylinder off the firewall and reservoir put in vise . primed it in the vise plugged exit line on master cylinder installed back onto fire wall hooked everything back up and worked better then ever.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I understand what you are saying...I have seen people having problems before with bleeding the system.I have a South Bend hyd system in the truck.Very nice stuff and comes all pre bled.Pretty sure its a stroke issue...Just need to get a OEM pedal and do the math....

callingtheshop

I had trouble bleeding a Ranger. Ended up taking out clutch pedal master cylinder off the firewall and reservoir put in vise . primed it in the vise plugged exit line on master cylinder installed back onto fire wall hooked everything back up and worked better then ever.
Ouch! A lot of screwing around. I had a 2004 Ranger and a 2008 Mazda and both had the pilot bearing fail. So the one now, a 2010 Ranger is an automatic and I hate the damm thing with a passion! Forever shifting when it doesn't need to and when it does need to shift, it sometimes won't.
Basically good trucks for me and I don't know what to get when this one miles out. Everything is so darn big and high, and thirsty to boot.
Maybe my PowerBall ticket will be blessed soon?

diamondtguy

Occupation
Took the truck out for a ride today.Decided to take it down to Stave Lake and see how it was on the gravel road.Other than being a little slick the road was in pretty good shape and the truck road better than I expected.The ride was certainly better than my leaf sprung 7.3 F-250..
The road/dirt stray made it apparent that I need to address my mud flaps.......
Truck is running very well.......

grizzly 002 (134).JPG grizzly 003 (112).JPG grizzly 004 (86).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Went in today to visit Larry at Pacific Truck and I took the Grizzly.Good 50 mile run for it..The guys from Coast Powertrain were all over it and under it...Mostly young guys that had never even heard of one...
I wanted a pic of it with the P-16 that was sitting there but I could not get close enough.To many trucks parked in the way...

Grizzly 004 (87).JPG

crane operator

Stretched wheelbase. Dual rear axle and probably heavier front axle at the same time, Flatbed, Stacks and new doors. Looks like they've really kept up with it so they could keep using it.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Looks better for the stretch/duals. IMO. More useful length bed.

64Pacific

Just watching Rust Valley Restorers on the History network tonight and noticed that they were driving around in a Grizzly, red with a yellow hood...

crane operator

Looks better for the stretch/duals. IMO. More useful length bed.

The bed would haul a little more for getting things out to a jobsite, and for loading stuff with a forklift, but that new long wheelbase wouldn't be much fun getting turned around on a narrow logging road. The original wheelbase would be my preference.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Just watching Rust Valley Restorers on the History network tonight and noticed that they were driving around in a Grizzly, red with a yellow hood...

That's interesting...Its on again at 10 and I will watch....Hank R doesn't live far from there...