• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Job well done will have a Rye and Coke for you tonight been a long time in the works you should be proud of the excellent job . Hank

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thank you and thanks to all that have followed my build.I sent the previous owner (Jean) the video and she is happy.I am happy with the way it turned out and I am not done yet.Truck #1 has a new life and a new purpose. ...Cory

And Hank....Yes I have a rye and coke in hand...Cheers

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Looks really good. Great job. Will we see at truck shows? Like Duncan? Thanks Doug.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
It looks too good to use, please move to California with it and only drive on dry days!

wornout wrench

Dang
I mean
DANG
That looks good!

I'll stick with what I said in post #3 of this thread.

I'm still pissed that you scored this truck and not me, but honestly, I am not sure if i would have the patience or the skill to do the job that you have done.

Nice job Cory.

Trouble is now I want one even more!.

I am hoping to some day meet up with you and get a first hand look.
With retirement just around the corner, I will have more time to be able to get to the occasional truck show and such.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks guys....
Ben46A....one of my goals was to build it the way it should have been done when new..That being said I am sure they had engineering and financial constraints just getting the 1st one done.Getting the truck out in the public would have been paramount as well...I remember seeing this truck and the 2nd (red one) truck running around North Van.
I sent the video to Jean last night and she likes what I have done and is happy she sold it to me....
Yes....I will be bringing the truck to the Island and I will be hitting the truck shows...Larry at Pacific Truck wants me to do the Cache creek show as well.
Cheers....

diamondtguy

Occupation
Had the truck out in the fresh air again today.Tent is sweating really bad in this weather so I decided to try the wipers as the truck was soaked.Chucked one blade off and broke the other.Seems I bought the wrong kind of blades for the articulating arm...My fault...more research.
I put Mary in the truck and she ran it up and down the driveway a dozen times.No problems with the clutch but the hyd assist brakes were something new for her..
She is looking forward to driving it...(so am I)
All is good..

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hank...You may be correct on that one...

So I was reading about the Site C dam which is in Ft ST John..That is where Surerus Pipline is and they have a Grizzly.I checked there site for projects and didn't find site C but I read through there history and they mention Grizzly Trucks...
Many rumors about there involvement and one thread on the internet suggests they designed them...Non of it is relevant now but this does confirm they had a Interest in Grizzly trucks...How deep the interest was is of no concern to me..They obviously felt the truck would suit their needs..

History-1.jpg

Western Adventure
A teenaged Brian Surerus follows his older brother from Roseneath, Ontario to Northern British Columbia.

HistoryDumpTruck.jpg

Incorporation of Groundhog Enterprises
Brian Surerus trades in a Ford Ranger pick-up truck for a dump truck and incorporates as Groundhog Enterprises in Fort St. John, BC. Groundhog works for the Department of Highways doing road maintenance.

History-1-3.jpg

First Pipeline Project
Groundhog Enterprises completes its first pipeline project for Union Oil near Fort St. John, BC. Brian finds that pipeline installation is more interesting than maintenance and he changes the company name to Surerus Construction & Development Ltd.

History-1-5.jpg

1972 — 1979
Growth Through the 1970s
Surerus Construction & Development continued to pursue pipeline opportunities throughout British Columbia, eventually expanding into northwest Alberta.

Yard_History-1.jpg

1980 — 1989
Surviving the 1980s
In 1982, Surerus Pipeline Inc. is incorporated and continues to pursue pipeline opportunities throughout BC and Alberta. While the National Energy Program guts the oilpatch, Surerus is fortunate to own its own land and equipment and avoid the sting of rising interest rates. Being small and nimble allows Surerus to succeed in a challenging economy.

History-13.jpg

Pipe Gets Larger
Westcoast Energy awards Surerus the Aitken Creek Extension Pipeline, marking the first time that a mid-inch project is completed by the company.

History-1-4.jpg

Grizzly Trucks
After falling in love with the rugged looking Grizzly Truck prototype at a logging equipment show in Vancouver, Brian invests in the business. Unfortunately only 13 trucks were ever built, one of which remains in the Surerus fleet

diamondtguy

Occupation
So a couple of weeks ago I got a e-mail from a gentleman in Ontario named Stephen Ogden.He had a bunch of Grizzly info and pics he wished to donate to me.I got some very nice photo's,newspaper clippings factort lit etc.He saw a Grizzly at a Toronto Truck show and came out to BC to check them out and possibly buy one .He didn't but he kept all of the info..I will scan as much as I can and post it...

As we were talking about the Surerus oil truck here is a pic of it brand new..
My thanks to Mr. Ogden
IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
Another pic from Stephen...This one is interesting as I have never seen this truck before.I now have a photo of one of the missing few..

IMG_0001 (2).jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
IMG_0006.jpg Another of Stephen's pics..This is the big truck that was originally green and now lives in Whistler as a company truck for Canadian Wilderness Adventures.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Another truck I have yet to find.Pretty sure I have found the name of theIMG_0007.jpg original owner but have not tracked him down.I believe this to be truck #3.Photo very similar to the one in the brochures..

diamondtguy

Occupation
And last of Stephens pics.My own truck (#1)
when she was new...Quietly thinking to my self I like its new look much more

IMG_0002.jpg when she was new...Quietly thinking to my self I like its new

look much more...