• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grey market excavators

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler

mattyc5094

Occupation
USAF
they are machines made witout the safety requirements of the United States. They were never intended for sales here. Some are the same as ones the were sold here but they were'nt allowed to be sold due to agreement with major company that put their name on them. Example is my Yanmar is the exact came Machine as a Komatsu sold here. Yanmar wouldn't sell me parts because it was an agreement with Komatsu. Go to the Komatsu dealer and parts I ordered said Yanmar on the box.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Gray market just means a used machine that was manufactured to be sold in one part of the world was moved to another part of the world and sold. It doesn't necessarily mean the machine does not meet emissions or safety regulations for any one country. All have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Most of the manufacturers support the gray market machines to some extent but some don't support them at all. For instance, you will be hard pressed to find some parts for a Cat brand machine while Komatsu or Hitachi will be able to supply almost any part you can get a part number on.

The biggest factor on gray market machines is that they are all used. New machines not built for the US market will not be sold here. The rub comes in at the number of hours can be shown on the machine and still be called used.

Hope this helps.

excavator

Many of the companies selling G M excavators repaint and change the decals to make it look the same as the US version. Does anyone know of a list of G M Hitachi serial numbers? Anyway of knowing without calling the Hitachi dealer?

Diggaman

Many of the companies selling G M excavators repaint and change the decals to make it look the same as the US version. Does anyone know of a list of G M Hitachi serial numbers? Anyway of knowing without calling the Hitachi dealer?
Have bit of a grasp on Japanese Domestic S/no's..What are you wanting to know??

Clovis68

Mitsubishi ME25 Parts please help

Guys I am New to this but I just Bought a Mitsubishi ME25 Excavator Ser#E4E00573 I have already a Mitsubishi Bd2gII dozer and have always gotten parts from Rhine Equip. but they tell me that They can not get parts or manuals for this machine am I in trouble here or is there a way to get parts and manuals for this machine any help would be appreciated.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
YANMAR is one of easys 1 to get parts for any part in less than 2 weeks, try that from john deere or cat

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
grey market the cheaper way to go

i;m in pa.no good dealerships here

Lee-online

We are not supposed to call them gray iron anymore. Now they are called out of market machines.

Most Cat gray iron is the same as US sold machine. They do have subtle differences but generally parts can be found by looking at similar US machine.
we have imported plenty of machines from Germany, France and Japan. We just change the safety warning that are in the foreign language. It seems like the newer machines are not like the older ones and most are made to be sold in any country.

cjplanthire

Occupation
Plant contractor
Not a thing wrong with grey machines, jap machines dug the world and backfilled it too whilst cat was broken down with fancy van and a fancy bunch of uniforms telling you your machine is broken down, whilst your gray machine digs rings round it,im contractor I know these things, I have heard the salesman bs and the mechanics bs from cat an a their brainwashed staff, parts are not problem for jap euro machines,thats what the internet is fpr

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
you;ll be sorry super duty john yanmar the best

bbn

Right Excavator Parts

:bash Hi..The main thing about excavators is the selection of right parts..High Quality Excavator Parts should be used according to the directions of manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiluxman

Grey Market bobcats

Has anyone on here seen a grey market bobcat. The reason i am wandering is i was at a ricthie sale and there where alot of Bobcat and they had TCM decals
in the middle arm along with the lower bobcat ones and the nameplate read "manufactered under license from Clark Equipment by TOYO UMPANKI" so they where made in japan TCM also made MITCHAGEN LOADERS under license.

Leem2

Hi, first post for this forum.
I am experienced in CAT Grey Iron. Dealt with C's and D series grey iron stuff.
Have also had a lot of dealings with 308BSR, 308BCR, 313BSR and compatible stuff.

The C series and D series grey iron do differ a lot, but mainly in wiring, slight engine parts, some pumps and hydraulic parts are different and most of all, the arrangent of the tractor is different to that sold and serviced in known Cat territory outside of Japan.

These machines are "only" made for the Japanese market, that can source parts directly from their own parts marketing.
This is why there is problems when sourcing parts outside of Japan.

The only advice I can give, is to ask to for the English Parts / Operation books for the equivilent machines in your territory.
You will have to use a serial number prefix that is usually found in your territory, as the Japanese Serial numbers don't have an equivilent to Overseas areas.

You can buy the Japanese Parts Books, but it is very difficult to find some machines though. You then have to use an English book and the Japanese book together and make sure the parts you want, don't differ.
Some things that are "japanese market" only, usually a locally ordered equivilent will sometimes do (eg lights, mirrors, seats, hydraulics hoses, some filters etc etc)

A lot of people complain that "I can't find parts", but no one looks outside the box. Use what you can off an equivilent model numbered machine from your territory area. (keep an open mind)
Fortunately, some D series excavators, Cat are only just supporting the Grey Iron now (as in the last few weeks/months). Very slow on the uptake, but that's what you get.

Hi there Spanrz,

I recently bought a 308BCR on the Sunny Coast and was wondering if you could help me out with finding an English manual preferably and a part stockist downunder or US that could help me out in the future. Many Thanks. Morgs

powergrid

I have a PC40-7 Japanese all over it komatsu dealer got my parts with no problem. changed tracks, upper rollers. starter Otherwise I love this machine

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Last week I ordered an air filter duct from my air filter to my engine on a CAT E70B. At least I thought I bought a E70B two years ago, only to find out a few months later, it was rebadged by CAT from a Mitsubishi MS070. Anyway, CAT had the air duct in stock and it was ordered, but found out today it is frozen by CAT as a grey market part. My CAT parts person is checking more into this CAT freeze. Parts on the shelf, that they had made, and they are not selling them. Sounds like a group lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oh yeah............I have the Mitsubishi parts manual and it is in English
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:

lantraxco

Last week I ordered an air filter duct from my air filter to my engine on a CAT E70B. At least I thought I bought a E70B two years ago, only to find out a few months later, it was rebadged by CAT from a Mitsubishi MS070. Anyway, CAT had the air duct in stock and it was ordered, but found out today it is frozen by CAT as a grey market part. My CAT parts person is checking more into this CAT freeze. Parts on the shelf, that they had made, and they are not selling them. Sounds like a group lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oh yeah............I have the Mitsubishi parts manual and it is in English
hugs, Brandi
Brandi, what is the CAT and if different the Mitsi part number(s)?

The E series were all Catabishis as far as I know.