• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grey market excavators

konabcs

I have four grey market excavators. The one from europe is the most difficult and the most expensive. The three from Japan I find the parts as needed. It is the dealers that feel you are some kind of ingrate. The savings is worth it. I have an american made machine and I have issues that were no less frustrating.

KLF

New Member Question

I'm currently looking at gray market yanmars. Who are the best sources for manuals and parts? Thanks in advance.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I have a 150 gray market. Komatsu emails japan if they don't know I bought a parts book right away. The only thing they have never found was the AC relay, but it has not broke. I don't think there is much difference in gray Komatsu. The big deal is coming you are going to have problems with EPA.

Odin

I own plenty of gray market machines. you cannot beat the savings. The big dealers may try to scare you but I have never had problems with parts. I have my own parts manuals so when i call the dealer i already have a part number and they don't have to sweet their pretty little heads.

micbare

Occupation
maintance man for a medical group
Another thing you might want to think about. 1. Many people this day are looking for
any angle they can find to bring a lawsuit against a business owner. If you have an employee hurt on or by a Grey Market machine that may or may not have some safety
feature that regular machine would you may have an increased liability? 2. Will Grey Marketequipment give you issues with your workmen`s comp and insurance carrier? 3. I was working on a job one time and witnessed the following. A OSHA inspector just stopped by to walk thru the job. He fined a carpenter for having a knock off Harbor Freight type miter saw. Because it did not have a safety on the start button. The carpenter had to pay this not the contractor. And he was not even using the tool it was on his truck. I did not know they have right to look in tool box of an employees truck if it is parked on the site.

jwallace

Occupation
heavy equip op/mech
I have found that no matter what type of machine it is when its broke down there is a problem,however when it is a gray market like the ex-120-2 that I am workingon now,it is almost impossable to get a wiring or hyd schemetic on it.

micklandry

DK I know this is an old post, but I am in the market for and excavator. How can you tell if it is a grey market machine vs. North American version?

drag1line

Pay attention to Micbare above. Safety issues can and WILL cause problems. Just dreaming, can come up with at least 10 lawsuits involving gray market machines of various manufacturers. Yes, they involved ambulence chacing lawyers. Mini's overseas do not need or have ROPS..only North America. Japanese excavator usually do not have back up alarms. If there is no ENGLISH operator's manual, OSHA can fine you..or safety decals.
EU safety decals are DEFINATLY different than North American decals, as are lift charts.
Guards probably are different. NA machines are optimized for lifting, EU and Oriental machines, where using an excavator for a crane is illegal ,are not and on and on.

mattyc5094

Occupation
USAF
Yanmar parts

I've owned my yanmar vio40 grey market for 10 years now and its been a great machine. Dominion equipment parts http://depparts.com/ will get any yanmar part you need. mines a gray market and they have gotten even the smallest parts i needed

jld

thers a guy from meeker, ok. that has some real small komatsu tracked hoes with pusher blades listed probably bring around 6 or 7 grand. light weight and digs about 6 ft deep

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Grey Market Machines

I have two grey market machines. An Hitachi EX55, 12,000 # with hydraulic thumb. And a PC30 Komatsu, 7,000 # with hydraulic thumb. Komatsu parts are not hard to come by, from the Komatsu dealer. But I have had my trials with John Deere trying to get parts for the Hitachi. I have had really good luck with both machines, they were low hours when purchased so lots of life left. Biggest problem is the rubber tracks. If you have to replace make sure you get the best quality. There are some real cheapos out there. When I bought the Hitachi it needed tracks. I lucked out and got the right people the first time. Those tracks have lasted me 3 years and should go at least another year. The Komatsu had new tracks on it when I bought it but they only lasted 1 year and then I had to replace them.

:usa

Adam Z

We have a Sumitomo SH200 that I need a new muffler for. So far, I have had no luck in the US finding parts. It is a grey market machine. Australia is the closest place I've found so far. It'd be nice to locate a parts place here in the US.

Adam

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You will have to go to a Link-Belt or Case dealer and usually they aren't too helpful with parts since yours is gray market. Find one of those two machines and use their serial number to get your part.

Good Luck?

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
We have a Sumitomo SH200 that I need a new muffler for. So far, I have had no luck in the US finding parts. It is a grey market machine. Australia is the closest place I've found so far. It'd be nice to locate a parts place here in the US.

Adam

What is your machine serial number.
I can get you a Linkbelt part number for the muffler if you get me the complete serial number. Then you can get it from Linkbelt.

countrylife

Occupation
Retired
As for Grey market machines taking 2 to 3 weeks to get parts - I have a JD and if it isn't something he stocks, it will take 2 weeks to get it, especially gaskets.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
Gray market

I have had several and never had a probkem getting parts from Cat.While the parts people grumbled I never had to wait longer than over night.
When looking these over for purchase look at them as you would any used machine.
It is harder to change hr. meters now since most are computer operated
:)