1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Future Operators?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by John C., Feb 19, 2021.

1. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    56wrench, Paul Council and DMiller like this.
  2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Ive seen this coming for awhile now. Still have to have us techs..............so far.

3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Until the machines self diagnose and call for a self driving truck to haul out to a Dealer Shop!! That will be fun to watch, first few should be as good as Musk's Starships landings!! I want to see the battery pack for a Excavator that size for ALL Electric!!

aighead, 56wrench, HATCHEQUIP and 2 others like this.
  4. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    So kids of today that stay home and computer games can now get a job!!!

5. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

Im going to play the devils a$$hole here. Just think about it before you get too pissed at me.
    There comes a time when its cheaper because people as a "whole" have priced their self's out of a job , " Its not just the employees wage but all the taxes, insurance, workers comp, ext ext ext" . Its not just the employee at fault here its also the other A$$holes that have their hand into that paycheck.
    Also did you read the part about the person could be on the other side of the world . There goes some more jobs to china.

aighead, Tugger2, 56wrench and 4 others like this.
  6. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    The way I see it....it’ll replace the people who weren’t all the great to start with. If you’re a good operator then I’d care to wager no machine can do the same work. It just eliminates all the a$$holes you work around and makes the porta-john last that much longer!!

sled dog, 56wrench, DMiller and 3 others like this.
  7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

If there wasn't assholes, there would be no one to perform practical jokes on.

8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I don't buy into this crap that making a livable wage is somehow me being an Ahole. The billionaires have the uneducated believing that the problems are all caused by the poor and middle class. Maybe the real issue is the billionaires making their money only paying 10% on a capital gain and no wages while the poor and middle class pay 15% on up for every dollar they earn. Did you know Amazon paid no taxes in 2017 and 2018 and 1.2% for 2019. But their employees making $8 to $12 per hour are considered poison when they consider a union for any more money.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-taxes-1-2-percent-13-billion-2019/

HATCHEQUIP, kleener, Tones and 8 others like this.
  9. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

I blame the Insurance companies, both health and liability, and the hospitals for that matter, some of the higher ups in small hospitals take rediculous bonuses.

10. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Just my $.02 on the subject..:cool:

A week or so ago I was having a conversation with the lead field engineer on a $100M expansion and renovation project we are currently on about how it's really amazing we are able build these projects with the amount of stupid we have to deal with.

This autonomous equipment can work flawlessly 24 - 7 in a perfect environment that's been laid out on a computer screen and meticulously programmed into their computer chips.

Now enter the real world commercial or large multi-family site that changes daily - the bigger the project the more the changes. The reality is the job site is a constantly changing "organism" that the human workers must adapt too and make changes in order to get it completed on time and on budget - hence the conversation with the field engineer.

Humans - even the dumb ones we have to deal with - can adapt, stand there looking stupid, go home or over come the issue and continue on building. How big will the jobsite trailer need to be to fit all the programmers needed for dealing with all the same variables of a modern day job site?

Now I'm not foolish enough to dismiss this technology will never come to fruition as it ultimately will, however I am old enough to know that I will be comfortably sitting in a lounge chair on the Pacific side of some Central American country enjoying retirement by the time this technology puts me out of business.;)

On second thought renting out fully wired double wide office trailers for the gaggle of programmers needed to run these new autonomous machines might be a profitable retirement business..:D

HATCHEQUIP, aighead, kleener and 4 others like this.
  11. JLarson

JLarson Well-Known Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Yep, unrealistic on a real site, looks good on the demo field though like most stuff.

HATCHEQUIP and DMiller like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Should put them on old Power Station sites, all the buried RIP piping conduit and electrical cables for construction, buried debris of who knows why or what was buried, striking abandoned materials thought to have been hauled away or a miss positioned lay that a surveyor marked incorrectly for a site print on a bad day. Sets a different mindset as to what can happen.

HATCHEQUIP and Paul Council like this.
  13. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I had a dream.....actually a few dreams, about a track hoe operator actually in the cab......but instead of working joysticks to control the machine.....he had on a head set, like a virtual reality set up in which he controlled the machine by thoughts. When is that cake job coming?

HATCHEQUIP, 56wrench and DMiller like this.
  14. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Maybe that would happen until a bee/wasp gets in the cab!!!

HATCHEQUIP, CM1995, Vetech63 and 2 others like this.
  15. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

well, its coming whether we like it or not. look at how robotics changed manufacturing and production. its also coming to agriculture--gps, auto-guidance and auto-steering have been around for many years and now all the big players are developing fully autonomous machines. not to sound overly dismal, but as humans, we have created our own demise:eek:

16. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I think this comment from the article is somewhat enlightening............
    "But it’s early days, and such tech remains a niche part of Caterpillar’s operations. Though it does not break out the revenue from technology sales, the rising demand is unlikely to make a major impact anytime soon on the group’s revenue, which stood at about $54 billion last year."

HATCHEQUIP, CM1995 and DMiller like this.
  17. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    The more crap they put on machines the more crap to go wrong. Just look at the the pollution control ,you can hardly keep the new ones running compared to old ones:rolleyes:

HATCHEQUIP, aighead, Tones and 2 others like this.
  18. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

I find it funny that a pandemic is fueling this trend. Really now, last time I checked equipment operators sit alone in a climate-controlled cab. That's the ultimate social distancing right there.

I can't quite wrap my head around the remote controlled equipment. Does anybody else think it'd be difficult to judge distance or have trouble gauging the surroundings through a TV screen?

Not only that but just not having the feedback through the joysticks and controls. Or even just feeling the machine responding to the work. A good operator utilizes all their senses to work safely and productively. I'm just not seeing that happen with remote controlled units.

aighead, 56wrench, Bls repair and 3 others like this.
  19. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Years ago (mid 70s )while working on a site a drainage contractor rocked up and started laying pipes. It was the first time I had seen a laser being used so I had to have a chat with him. One of the questions I asked was " how much did the laser cost "? 6 grand was the reply to which I let out a whistle. Yeah he continued " one mans yearly wage that I don't have to employ. Next year is cream".
    Now today with technology replacing people were do the people go to earn a living? on the dole que or a life of crime, who the hell knows but one thing is for sure those things cost the community and the TAX PAYER.
    During the 1929/30s depression President Hoover pumped millions of dollars into the top end of town of which 50% got to the people who needed it most. Then along come a very enlightened First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt who told her husband to turn it around and shove the money into the bottom end. The simplicity of it is that for every dollar spent creates 3 dollars in the community. And that folks sent America on it's greatest nation building program ever and has been forgotten or ignored by people and politicians of all sides since. Heck Caterpillar wouldn't exist today but for that First Lady.

HATCHEQUIP, Tugger2 and DMiller like this.
  20. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Unfortunately we're putting ourselves out of work. Simply too many people on the planet for the level of efficiency that technology has afforded us.

HATCHEQUIP and DMiller like this.