• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford backhoes

obleck

I have'nt yet done this with my 750 tlb,but from the start,it's probably... [snip] I can scan,and email procedures if you tell me what specific procedures you're wanting.I ordered my manuals from SSB Tractor,and they are copies of the factory manual.....I would'nt do the job without them.

Hi Gary2Wheels, Hoping this finds you. I can't seem to email you directly. What actual manual did you acquire? I can't figure out what service manual is the correct one for the Ford 750 TLB. Options are:

750 G, LP, Dsl Service Manual, 502 pages, ~$76
750 IND (6500) Service Manual, 488 pages ~$127

Seems like these are fairly different manuals. Also, is the 750 really a 750 IND and also a 6500? So little info online. Thx!

Divotdigger

I've got an 1985 655A. 4 cyl diesel. Won't go in reverse. Forward is fine but just sits there when I put the power reversing lever in R. It worked fine earlier in the day when I was using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. D

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
One guess is make sure its not in high range. I have a different brand backhoe ( IH) and it will only go into reverse in low range- safety feature.

Divotdigger

I'll check that first thing in the morning. I'm hoping it's something simple like that. I really appreciate your help Davo. d

oarwhat

One thing you should know about those 655's. The injection pump doesn't get oil from the engine. You have to drain and refill it with each oil change.

Divotdigger

Oarwhat, thank you for the information. I've run my 655 about an hour since my oil change and was not aware of that fact. As you can see, I'm a novice and just learning the ropes. I thought I was doing the right thing by changing oil and filters as soon as I bought the machine. I can't thank you enough for the info and wish you the best. The kindness of people on this string is awesome. d

oarwhat

I learned the hard way. We ran it for years with out changing it ,until it seized up. Newer ones may get oil from the engine. The ones that need oil have 3 plugs. One on the bottom of the pump for draining. One on top for filling and one on the side for checking the level. Do you have an extenda hoe on it? If so keep an eye on the pads inside. Ours worn down to the mounting bolts and starting eating into the boom.

Divotdigger

I"m having trouble finding any information about the injection pump in my manuals. Not even sure where to look. I'm fairly comfortable around gas engines but this is my first run in with a diesel. Can you advise where I should look for the plugs/injection pump? Thank you again for your time. d

oarwhat

It's been awhile and like I said newer ones might not have the plugs. Anyways looking at the pump you will see the 3 plugs. all the same size if I remember correctly. Maybe someone who still owns one can snap a picture.

Divotdigger

I'm still at work and haven't had the chance to try your suggestion, but I"m ANXIOUSLY waiting to get home and see if I had it in some other gear than low. I will definitely keep you posted when I find out. Thanks for following along. Being a novice, I'm still finding my way around the the whole unit. Your willingness and patience are very much appreciated.
D

Divotdigger

Gentlemen, I'm happy to say that changing the tranny filter did the trick. I have no idea when the last time the previous owner changed it but when I did, it shifted just fine. Thank you to all that have helped and hopefully when I'm not such a novice, I can return the favor to someone else. Have a great day!!!!! dd

jughead

Occupation
retired
One thing you should know about those 655's. The injection pump doesn't get oil from the engine. You have to drain and refill it with each oil change.

i have a 94 655d i also have the manuals for it and it plainly says the injector pump is lubed by the diesel fuel.

oarwhat

Here's a link to a discussion about the oil in the pumps and a quote from another forum

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?42291-Ford-655A-throttles-up-on-it-s-own

Similar, but different. Just had the 4 cyl. inline Minimec/Cav/Lucas pump on my Ford 655A backhoe rebuilt for a similar problem- $900- The parts are now Delphi?! When I bought this unit four years ago a little rusty colored fuel dribbled out of the inj. pump where there should have been oil. I flushed it and filled it with oil, and have serviced it religiously. It just got this past fall so it wouldn't hold oil- it quickly dumped into the engine crankcase. Pump guys told me seal was probably finished off by a bad bearing, which probably was failing from lack of lubrication. They were right. You might be better off that at least there's some lubrication in there. Have you tried draining it, and filling it correctly with oil? And then running it to establish what's really happening and how long it takes?

Divotdigger

Gentlemen, thanks for all the input on the injectors. The manuals I have say to use the same oil in my injectors as my crankcase. However, when I drained the reservoir, the fluid that came out was almost clear and smelled like mineral spirits or terpantine. Now I'm really confused as to what fluid to put back into the injectors. Oarwhat, you were correct about the 3 plugs. Does diesel fuel smell odd after it's been used as a lubricant? Thanks for any help. d

kriam

Hi all, I have a 94 655C. Recently had a problem with the injection pump stop valve ( thanks 'thepumpguy' ). Did about 3-4 hours of operation after correcting that problem, then while working on a fairly steep incline ( back up the incline) the engine quit and would not start, managed to get it level and was able to start (multiple) and run it for a few minutes at a time to finally get it back to the garage area. Noted that I had a LOT of water in the fuel separator and drained that ( bad batch of fuel I assume). I theorized that with the angle I was operating at the water may have spilled past the separator cone and gotten into the system. I have drained the tank, replaced with fresh fuel with a double dose of Diesel Clean Fuel and Tank cleaner, replaced the filter and removed and blown out each of the fuel supply and injector lines. I took off the stop valve and and the pump inlet line put in some of the Diesel Clean Fuel and Tank cleaner in the well of each, I also put some of that in a spray bottle and sprayed out each line and around the injectors. Was able to restart the engine, but no significant improvement in it running. It takes a spray of starting fluid in the intake along with pumping the floor throttle to catch and will only stay running at high idle and then for ~ 10 minutes or so at a time. It surges and the exhaust smoke goes white/blue when it surges/runs rough. I have had it running a total of 1 hour, but no change in symptoms ( though maybe there could still be some moisture that would work it's way out). Any ideas before I call in a professional mechanic? Thanks