• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford backhoes

hmover

Does anybody have any opinons on ford Backhoes info seems a bit harder
to come by.No model in mind yet but the odd one comes up for sale.
Are they harder to work on than Case or John Deere. Case a Nw Holland dealer is te parts sourse???? Thanks for any info

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Not sure what age of machine you are looking at but I had one once, it was a 4500, I believe these were made before the 555. It had sat for 10 years in a barn and had water in a cylinder. I think the machinist bored the dry sleeves. The 3 cylinder diesel was one massive engine, built like a " brick **** house in the fog" is the old saying. Crankshaft was huge, so were the pistons. The chain used by the swing cylinders was broke so I ordered a repair kit at a bearing supply house. I loved the way that motor ran and was hesitant to sell it.

I've never heard anything against a Ford and wouldn't hesitate to buy a 555. Someone who had a late model unit told me they were the best buy out there. Parts, I don't know about. Some smaller farm dealers have parts guys that can source almost anything. I'd definitely check the parts side of it out first. Hope I've helped a little...Phil:)

Attachments

• Ford 4500.JPG
    Ford 4500.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 27,704
Last edited by a moderator:

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Ive seen some older ones with many of hours but the newer onces dont impress me. Dont seem as durable. They say the hoes have real good breakout force though.

farm_boy

For the money I don't know if you can get a better hoe. The D series were built darn good. The last of the E series were pretty good too (1999 & 2000). The first LB75 wasn't a bad digging little machine, but if you plan on using the front end a lot it is a little under powered with only 70 hp. It also had some durability issues as well.

From 2001 until 2006 the machines suffered from some poor reliability and durability. They are good performing machines, but at about 2000 hours they start nickel and diming you to death. They have finally gotten through these issues and I think the news ones today are much better. For a brand new machine today, you won't find a machine with better backhoe force or loader force. They are very strong machines. Their downfall is a somewhat weak support system and dealer network. That is not to say that there are some darn good NH dealers out there, but on average across North America the NH dealer network isn't as stong as Cat, Deere or maybe even Case.

Rumor has it that they have some big improvements coming this year that will be introduced at Con-Expo:wink2

Phil

Occupation
I forgot to mention that a friend of mine who has long been in the business of buying and selling used machinery, told me last year to stay away from New Holland backhoes. He didn't get specific on any one area of the machine and I've not heard that from anyone else...but this guy has never steered me wrong. So I hope I've not offended any New Holland owners out there:eek: and keep in mind it's mainly older equipment he sells. Phil

Last edited:

Prep

Occupation
Operating Engineer, Local 18
I have had good luck with our 655e. It has almost 7,000 hrs. on it with no major issues (we follow the service manual and don't beat on the machine). The local New Holland dealer here is small, but they always take good care of me and seem to have what ever I need when I need it.

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
Older Ford Backhoe's were great in their time.

My dad started out on his own with a 4500 Ford ,and then owned two early 80's model 555's. The 555's were great machines with a lot of power and compared to the Case machines of the time, were far superior. The 555's were used for sewer & water lines, basements, footings, etc. in the Eastern Arkansas Delta.

Best regards, ZAXIS

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ZAXIS! :drinkup

ror76a

We run Ford/New holland backhoes, they have always done a great job for us. We still have an old 4500 around still. We have demoed Cases and Cats, but they never could compete with the Fords for hyd power. They have always been reliable for us too, I would love to know how many hours are actually on that old 4500:notworthy

Phil

Occupation
Not sure how many hours were on that machine. It spent many years cleaning out sawdust from a sawmill and the hoe was off it during this time. I have a picture of the float move. Phil:)

Attachments

• Ford 4500 pick-up.JPG
    Ford 4500 pick-up.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 22,391

LeakyBoot

Fords

I'm hoping there good machines as I put money on it last fall when I bought a 555D from a city park dept. Machine had around 3000 hrs and still had the factory teeth on the hoe bucket. I'm hoping I can get 2000 hrs from it trouble free of major problems like trans or engine. I figure at 2000 hrs that will take me to retirement age and I can park it. I don't plan on hitting it too hard, just maybe a little job or two a week. My M. O. on making machinery last is not to "give it all it's got" . I've had good luck with that and get the job done maybe 15 minutes later than a wide open , ram it to it type. LB

Phil

Occupation
That 555 sounds like a real find leakyBoot. The city machines must have a real cushy life:p. I wanted to post pictures of a 550 that I was looking at last summer. They are not good shots, it was stored in a tent, but I wanted to see if anyone has a 550 out there and how they like the machine. Phil:)

Attachments

• Jan 26, 2008.JPG
    Jan 26, 2008.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 20,401
  • Jan 26, 2008 02.JPG
    Jan 26, 2008 02.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 20,351

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
That 555 sounds like a real find leakyBoot. The city machines must have a real cushy life:p. I wanted to post pictures of a 550 that I was looking at last summer. They are not good shots, it was stored in a tent, but I wanted to see if anyone has a 550 out there and how they like the machine. Phil:)
PHIL, that sure brings back some memories. Our first 555 had an OROPS and my dad made one with removeble glass and installed a heater from an old Chevy Luv (remember those) truck. The second one had a factory cab. I still prefer the wobble stick configuration on a backhoe because thats the model/configuration I learned to dig on. I still love to hear the distinct sound that the Ford diesel made. Sincerely, ZAXIS

Nightowlbird

Hello,
I have an old Ford 4500 1971 backhoe. I purchased this from a junkyard which they had used it primarly to yank out motors and other odd ends. It needed some parts and when I went to the ford tractor dealer with the S/N # they had told me the unit was made in england ? There where some issues with parts such as pins, glow plugs and the aux hydraulic pump. I had bought some parts but man did they cost... If it was a built by chevy the parts would have been a little cheaper LOL.. The brakes are internal which they are in need of relacement. I am not to sure how much difference it is than a 4500 model? I am looking into retiring the old thing which I hate to do since the cost of rebuild and the age do to parts avaliability which will be getting harder to come by and of course time....

NBO

jughead

Occupation
retired
do not wish to high jack this thread but would someone compare a 655d to other brand ? size backhoes.

LeakyBoot

Ford 555D

Photo of the former city owned Ford 555D I got from Chicago Parks Dept. Was told by park dept head man that those are the original factory teeth on the backhoe bucket. I'm hoping for a long and productive life. I think I got ahold of it just at the end of the life of the rod seals. I been having those start to leak. $5 to replace but quite a messy little job.

Attachments

• ford backhoerear.jpg
    ford backhoerear.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7,982

Phil

Occupation
Beautiful machine leakyboot. I supposed they waxed it too, between coffee breaks? Phil;)

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
Nightowlbird if your backhoe is from England it would have rounded fenders, does it? We had a Ford 3000 Super dexta (1970) rounded fenders the 4500,5600 were American built. The 4500 I talked dad into getting the 730 hard nose loader for it was $3200 for it at the time.

LeakyBoot

Wax

Beautiful machine leakyboot. I supposed they waxed it too, between coffee breaks? Phil;)

They didn't leave any wax I could see--but they did load alot of sand as the front area had alot in it I had to clean out. I think that's why the front rod shaft seals went bad. It was super fine sand. LB