• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Feeling" lines with the backhoe

WScott

Being the new guy I dont want to ruffle any feathers, but finding lines by "feel" can be downright deadly

I would like to second that opinion, I was digging sewer line on the edge of town for a new strip mall with a 235 CAT, double stacked trench box about
10' away from any utility markings and about 6' down hit something that bogged the kitty down. boss said get with it theres nothing there maybe an old tree root or somthin. I used the bucket curl and bam......
lights went out in half the town. elec main. wow. blew every hydralic hose on the boom and stick and melted half the teeth on the bucket. Not to mention it rocketed the bucket out of the ditch and almost hit my ground man.
Close call. Thanks Miss Utility......

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF WScott! :drinkup

John M

I agree

i consider myself a "seasoned" operator.........and anybody that tells me that he can "feel"................a power line, a gas line, a water main..........when there are lives at risk, would never be on my payroll. our primary concern should be with the safety of those that work with us. 2nd is the responsibility we have to the owner of the properties that we work on. lastly.........should be our egos

I try to listen to my gut feeling .if it seems there could be achance of damage why risk it.ego is our enemy . seems to me most people are to lazy to shovel or even take the time to research the site. every situation has risk . engage brain then backhoe.

Bearhouse00

Occupation
Electrical sales rep.
I do not think they are locating items with the backhoe, but are feeling them and stopping before destroying it. I have watched my dad stop while digging and move up just a bit and uncover pipes both PVC and galvanized. Me, I cannot seem to feel anything, but I am sure the experts can.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Ive had it happen many times were I felt somethan only to find out it was an unmarked utility. Depending on how rough the digging is the easier it be to feel somethan. The more time in the seat the easier it is to tell the difference between a pipe or a rock.

Even the best ops. break things. Just a matter of common sense, paying attention, experience, and safe judgement.

tylermckee

Usually end up feeling/seeing the trench line. if something isn't located and its not iron or concrete its usually too late by the time you feel the actual line. If it has been located and you are carefully digging then yes i have felt plenty of lines and not broke them, but much prefer to use a shovel to find them. Most of the utility locates we get are a joke, they are right about 50% of the time, with the exception being the gas company, they are usually within 6"

dynahoescott

backhoe feel

A wise old operator told me years ago "if you never broke utilities its because you never worked around utilities " I have a pretty good good record of feeling things(both marked and unmarked). But to say you have it down to a science and never break anything , I would have to call that man a liar. However, I swear I can (feel) better with some machines than others. The 190 dynahoe and 580 super e had pretty good sensing capabilities in my opinnion. The 215c and drott 40 and 50 hoes were good for excavators, just my opinnion. I also never run less than full throttle and therefor when looking for utilities you are only fractionally opening the valves and they have less travel to close when you do find something . And you are much more in sync with the machine at full rpm.:usa

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We install gas main and most times do our own markout for the gas. Some times the gas co does it for us. Every morning I fire the backhoe up and go for a walk, check out all the marks and start poppin off man hole covers and drain grates to double check what might be there whether it be marked or not.

On the subject of utilities I found this vid on you tube. Ouch!
YouTube - Backhoe vs 13200 volts!