1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

EX120 -> Torn Bucket Repair (Pics)

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Egetebee, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Egetebee

Egetebee Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah right.
    Thank you,
    E

DMiller likes this.
  2. Egetebee

UPDATE:
    Spoke with my local support (who's delayed till tomorrow) and he's said to simply leave the bucket on the machine for now as Tugger2 instructed.
    Today, I'll get the side cutter off by splitting the nuts and will continue cleaning the area up.

Thank you all,
    E

DMiller likes this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    What have found with heating is removes any entrained or absorbed moisture, that generates steam pocket inclusions and a bit of Hydrogen from the arc process which adds to embrittlement.

Ronsii likes this.
  4. Egetebee

UPDATE:
    That worked out very well.
    Thin cutting disc straight across the nut & bolt face. Hammer and they popped out. Cutting edge is off.
    Thanks again,
    E
    [​IMG]

DMiller likes this.
  5. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Check other side ,looks like you may have crack there

DMiller likes this.
  6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Yes it does!!

Cowboyrob likes this.
  7. Cowboyrob

Cowboyrob Member

Can using the teeth on my bucket to break up concrete with the bucket curled all the way back cause damage to the pins or other parts?

DMiller likes this.
  8. InsleyGuy

InsleyGuy Well-Known Member

9. Egetebee

Hi Cowboyrob,
    You'd most likely want to start a new thread based on this question but the quick answer is...
    Surely.
    Besides the pressure on the front edge (teeth) the pins, support plate welds and bushings are going to take a real beating, especially if you're hammering the bucket down to break the concrete up. The torsional loads on the pin supports are really high when the teeth are used as leverage and cracks may occur at the pin plate welds. Ask me how I know...

Bottom line, for the most part, the bucket is meant for 'bucketing' not hammering, like a hydraulic hammer is.

E

Tarhe Driver, DMiller and Cowboyrob like this.
  10. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Seems like you do it similar to most of the rest of us ;) if you're breaking up slabs that you can lift a corner of just lift em' and shove something under the corner then come down on the center of it with the heel of the bucket... saves you teeth this way :)

RZucker, DMiller and Cowboyrob like this.
  11. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

I think it comes down to the machine. Some machines don't like it, (like mine). I have better luck with 6011.

DMiller likes this.
  12. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Buy 7018 for AC if not it's hard to weld normal 7018 AC but possible. 1/8 120 amps or so

DMiller likes this.
  13. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

Maybe it's just me but it looks like where the floor of the bucket meets the side could use some attention too.

DMiller and Ronsii like this.
  14. Egetebee

Had a good long welding session on Sunday and buried a bunch of 7018. No support plates at the moment but should hold up just till I finish a few more tasks, then pull the bucket off for the winter, get it powerwashed and inside and go for a much more intensive repair.

Thank you all very much once again,
    E

DMiller likes this.
  15. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    No photos?

DMiller likes this.
  16. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Why not fix it right the first time? I would have beveled if from the outside, pushed it together and welded the inside first. You could put a couple extra passes to add extra meat on the inside. Then grind from the outside into the root of the weld from the inside to insure 100% penetration. Taking the bucket off and putting it on its side would make it easier to weld the outside up. If you have any slag pockets or lack of fusion could be a potential source for new cracks. Preheat around 300-400 deg's. is sufficient.

DMiller likes this.
  17. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

6011 would be OK for a root pass but 7018 is superior for this type of repair.

doublewide and DMiller like this.
  18. Egetebee

Welded into the dark and it's been raining & snowing ever since.
    Will post a couple photos soon.

DMiller likes this.
  19. Egetebee

Simply didn't have the time and needed to finish the remainder of the project this week. The machine will be sitting idle for the winter soon enough with plenty of time to it better.
    E

DMiller likes this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Will be a better repair and inspection once you have it back home. Just ignore nothing as to an indication that could be cracking anywhere.

Ronsii likes this.