• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

mountainguyed67

mountainguyed67 I just read through the entire thread. Man you put a ton of work into that old loader. But now I am sure you will have a machine to last a lifetime. Thanks for taking me along on the journey. I learned a ton of good information. Thanks.

Yes. I know the machine pretty good now, and I hope to get a lot done with it. We have a lot of work to do. The rear brakes is the only thing left that’s not minor. We have a lot of dead trees to clean up, and earth work to do. Do you have this type of loader?

Thanks.

mountainguyed67

The snow is gone at our elevation, I hope to get up there and get some work done. Still might get more storms, there have been years we get most of our snowfall late in the season.

Yes. I know the machine pretty good now, and I hope to get a lot done with it. We have a lot of work to do. The rear brakes is the only thing left that’s not minor. We have a lot of dead trees to clean up, and earth work to do. Do you have this type of loader?

Thanks.
No I don't I have a wee little wheel loader. Maybe one day when I figure out this whole computer stuff I will start a thread on it.

I just appreciate the amount of work you are putting into this and I love to learn. So I will anxiously await any updates.

Thanks again.

mountainguyed67

25 thous. belt sander , grinder, file , or a sharp pocket knife either way will work . Had to trim many over the years to get to fit for oddball sizes or when we couldnt get the size we wanted

I tried with 800 grit sandpaper, removed 1-2 thousandths. Tomorrow I’m gonna go out and buy some coarser paper, I would be there all day like this.

I went and tried to get .250” wide seals. They had nothing close, and said the only options to order are .225” or .271”. When I said I didn’t want anything that could move around in there, he said he had backup rings that would take up the slack.

zlssefi

Do you happen to know what transmission you have in this loader? im having issues with an allison 2000 series in mine. Super slow in 1st and reverse but clutch pressure is good.

mountainguyed67

I got the width right to fit in the groove, now I find out the seal I.D. is too big. Or does it stretch and come back? there’s no pressure on the pick, I’m just using it to hold the seal out, because I don’t have three hands. I can work finger and thumb around squeezing the seal from opposite sides, and it bulges out.

597B4E07-38C6-4E10-8641-F2C0FEF8664C.jpeg F404F14F-A4E9-4C68-BB64-BF51F3D6EB63.jpeg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sometimes those rings will stretch out while putting on and take time to go back. Also have wrapped something like shim stock or even plastic soda bottle around to protect then use hose clamps to compress them back to a tight fit on pistons.

mountainguyed67

The packing also has endplay inside the gland, not enough to get another v pack in there. This doesn’t seem right, maybe the original had the correct thickness packing to fill the space without endplay? Is this a problem? Do I need to shim it? I doubt you’re supposed to put in another and squeeze it down with the retainer, I think the retainer should be metal to metal. The manual doesn’t show this cylinder, it’s one of the things they didn’t get around to updating on my serial number. So I can’t see exactly what’s supposed to be in there, I should go look at what came out of there, it was in bad shape though. The bushing has a v cut in it that the packing fits perfectly into. They gave me flat ones for each end, using a flat one on the other end puts even more endplay.

2EAA62AB-B8F4-4C6D-869A-8809E342BA18.jpeg

mountainguyed67

I found the old packing and measured the combined thickness, .750”. That‘s three middle type packings and one convex/flat, I put together the same combination with new ones and came up with the same measurement. I had stuck this combination in before, but didn’t use it because it more than filled up the space. But since that’s what was in there I went ahead and did it, it took little effort with the wrench to draw the retainer down all the way. I also got the wiper installed.

Is a backup ring supposed to have one radiused side, and one flat side? That’s what I remember hearing, but they both look flat.

mountainguyed67

Sometimes those rings will stretch out while putting on and take time to go back. Also have wrapped something like shim stock or even plastic soda bottle around to protect then use hose clamps to compress them back to a tight fit on pistons.

My back had been out of wack, that’s why there’s been no progress. I felt up to trying it today, it wouldn’t go together. The piston seal kept hanging up, I’m hoping this’ll compress it back to the size it’s supposed to be. I have aluminum from a beverage can between seal and hose clamp, so the seal won’t be damaged.

4522B72B-14B0-4E9F-9EAC-958E42EAE44D.jpeg