• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
oh my tha was a lot of work. You have done an exceptional job. I will be tearing int mine this week and will be referring to some of your posts to try and keep me on the correct path. Thanks

mountainguyed67

The radiator shop says the core is rotten, and they’re working up what a core replacement will cost. It was cooling and not leaking, and I had already spent a lot on this swap. I wanted to space out the radiator expense if possible. The mechanic made the radiator leak trying to “fix” it, doh. Now I’ll have to come up with the money to do it now. If I wait, I’ll be waiting until April-May when the snow is gone.

Last edited:

mountainguyed67

The radiator will be ready on Friday, and I’m ready to pay. It’s not something I want to cut corners on. I have a friend trying to talk me into adapting an aluminum radiator the same size, and he’s mentioning obvious pickup prices. He knows nothing about construction equipment. He thinks I’m being overcharged, while both the mechanic and my service manager friend thought I’d be paying more. I think what I’m doing is the right thing to do to protect the engine, and stay as durable as before.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, rebuild it (radiator in this case) as close to it was new as possible. Mfr knew what they were doing. Cheap aluminum radiators are for the car that just needs to run another year before it goes to the junk yard. Of course, your loader is not likely to run 12-18 hours a day 6 days a week in a gravel pit any more, either.

Welder Dave

A high performance/custom built aluminum rad. would cost a lot more than a recored original. Don't know how durable an aluminum rad. would be in a loader. Could get a lot dirt, dust and other crap blowing through it. My rad was recored and zinc dipped to strengthen the fins. Original Cat rad. was steel but no longer available.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Is it forecast to rain as bad down south as it is up here? Are there any burn scars that might affect you? It will be interesting these next couple days on the Eldorado and on the Plumas with these 2 big fires.

mountainguyed67

Is it forecast to rain as bad down south as it is up here? Are there any burn scars that might affect you? It will be interesting these next couple days on the Eldorado and on the Plumas with these 2 big fires.

No, you’re supposed to get 7-9 inches, we’re supposed to get 1-1/4” to 1-3/4”. That’s here in Fresno. My mountain place is supposed to get between 3” and 5-1/2”.

We go through burn ares from 21 to 14 miles before our place.

Yeah, could have mudslides.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Not exactly common, average once a winter but there could be some winters where it rains gently and very little and other winters where it does this several times. Interspersed with sunny weather or light rains. Summertime from June-September it never rains at all, just hot and dry. The woods become impassible in winter, no logging or construction activity at all, too steep and muddy to accomplish anything.

mountainguyed67

The woods become impassible in winter, no logging or construction activity at all, too steep and muddy to accomplish anything.

Yes. My mountain place is on an unplowed road, the Forest Service doesn’t travel it during winter. People in 4WDs clear the fallen trees just enough to get through, then in the spring the F.S. Improves it. The mechanic who helped me also drove logging truck in our area. He said the same as Birken above, the roads are too steep to log during winter. I’ll see the loggers hauling their equipment out the day before or day of first snow forecast.

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
When you did the work on the 471, did you have to remove the crankshaft pully? I have to change mine from 1 engine to the other and I have no clue how to remove them, hopefully the ranks are the same other than tha with a little luck it should be ready for installation if weather holds