• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump trailer suggestion

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
snonut12 said:
If I get a trailer with GVWR of 12K (for example), can it be legally registered for 10K? I do not know what the law in NYS allow about registering below the manufacturer's GVWR. Or would I need to have the manufacturer/dealer change the paperwork down to 10K?

I know in ct you can just because thats how mine is registered, it is actully rated for 12k but because it weighs in at around 2300 empty i had it registered for 10k. I think they(dmv) do not mind when you derate what you can legally carry i am guessing that they hate when you register it for more then it can carry if you get my drift. Plus by registering it for 10k you might not need to get a CDL class A, I know in CT any trailer that carrys more then 10k needs a CDL class A. hope this helps.

cat320

Charter Member
Well i lowered mine to 10K from the 11,900 that it is or 12 if your the dmv lol
the amount of times i will carry above that would be slim even with the bobcat in it.I think long as you don't say for exmple you have a 20K gvw gooseneck and you lower it to 10K then load it to the max capacity of the 20K

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Be careful on "derating" trailers. Here in MD the MVA goes by whatever is on the VIN plate for GVWR as far as the class of license you need and by your registration as far as what weight you can carry. Example - There is no trailer registration weight here between 10k and 20k so most folks with a 14k trailer register it for 10k to pay the lower amount for the tags. However if you get pulled over and the VIN plate says 14k GVWR you had better have a class A license (private or CDL) no matter that you are only registered for 10k. Many of the trailer companies will put a 10k VIN plate on a 14k trailer if you request it, but you can still only (legally) carry 10k load and trailer combined so you are wasting 2 tons of load.
Check with your DMV to see if they will go by the VIN or the registration as to the class of license you need.

snonut12

Charter Member
Sounds like I could register it lower at 10K but I better find out for sure about the CDL part. You brought up a good point. Actually I just pulled out the NYS CDL manual and here is what it said:

".... provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or GCWR of vehicle(s) being towed is more than 10,000lbs."

From this wording it appears that if the manufacturer GVWR tag is over 10K then I'd need CDL.

On edit:
I also just searched the US DOT website and found this:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

I guess it's actually a federal law to have CDL for any trailer with manufacturer GVWR of over 10K.

Last edited:

xkvator

snonut12 said:
I guess it's actually a federal law to have CDL for any trailer with manufacturer GVWR of over 10K.
i know all the salesman at the Bobcat dealer had to get CDL's...they have 1 ton flatbeds and 12T trailers.
I see the DOT stopping pickups & SA dumps pulling trailers at some areas a lot...

atgreene

I got pulled over by DOT last week and he explained it like this:

the trailer rating is what they use. If it's rated for over 9999 and being hauled by a truck rated for over 18000, than your moving into class A range.

My Topkick (rated at 29k, rgistered for 36k) can haul my 9999 trailer fine, but not my tri axle trailer because I can't prove it's rated for under 10k, yet they can't prove it's rated for over 10k. He let me drive it home and redtagged it for a dead breakaway battery.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
snonut12 said:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

The CDL covers the commercial vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo over 26,001lbs and the Class A is for the commercial trailer over 10,000lbs part of the combo.

The kicker is that gramps can tow the 20,000 lb gooseneck travel trailer to jellystone without getting the class A non-commercial license (and if he could do it with a pickup that is 6,000 lbs he wouldn't even need a class B non-commercial)

atgreene - can they not prove the trailer rating because is doesn't have a VIN plate? around here that's enough for a ticket in itself. We can get a VIN for a "homebuilt" trailer from the MVA and rate it for whatever we want. I had to do it for a trailer that came with a VIN sticker that got painted over (I didn't notice when I bought it). Maybe you can get a "homebuilt" VIN for yours and rate it as you want.

snonut12

Charter Member
I am still undecided what I will want to do this year, but I don't think I'll expect to be hauling heavy equipment, so I may be looking at deckover dump trailer. Probably 6x10 or 7x12. I think it might be a better setup because of more ground clearance, take less room to manuever, and supposely cheaper. The disadvantage I can all think of is high center of gravity, but is it that bad? Any concern about these? I've compared low profile and deckover, and it seems most deckover are 6-8" higher. Also I won't be able to load heavy equipment. Otherwise are there any other disadvantages of deckover dump trailer?

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
Shop in Canada, eh. :drinkup You'll get a great trailer with a front-mounted telescopic hoist and you get to take advantage of your 15% advantage on the exchange rate - your buying power increases.

Check out their Dump Trailers - I am picking up a 10,000 pounder 6 1/2x10 in two weeks time. I too am upsizing from a 7,000 pound capacity. They are in Hamilton.

www.miskatrailers.com

john