• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump trailer suggestion

snonut12

Charter Member
Hey, first time posting here but I'm sure most of you are familar with me. ;) Anyway here's the story: I currently have a 6x10 low profile 7000# dump trailer which is one of my best investment. However I am having a couple problems involving with ground clearance and limited capacity. It seems that the local manufacturer of my trailer has put the pivot points a bit too far away from the rear end of bed (18") so when dumping fully loaded, the bed will bottom out and it's not easy getting my truck to drag until the load is out. This is especially a serious problem when dumping on grass/field because I can only dump halfway before it will touch the ground. Another problem is I can only haul 2 yards, maybe 3 of top soil or gravel. So I'm pushing the limit when carrying a bit more than that. Although most of times I use the trailer for brush and leaves removal I still could use the extra capacity for the heavy stuff.

So I am thinking about something like 6x12 with 10K-12K GVWR. I thought that a deckover would be the solution for ground clearance issue but then I realized that could be another problem: high center of gravity. After doing some researching through some trailer manufacturers I noticed that some has low profile with the bed being a bit higher than mine (around 3" higher) and by photos some has pivot points closer to rear end of bed. I thought about the one that has ladder ramps that can be stored under the bed. So I think 2-in-1 trailer sound good to me, in case in future I want to haul equipment like skid steer. Thought it'd be better to buy bigger than what I need now and then later find out to be too small again.

I've looked at a few manufacturers like Bri-Mar and Cam Superline and am sure there are more of them. What do you have and what would you recommend? Thanks. :D

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
I have a 6x12 low profile 6 ton dump trailer. It's a Weberlane made in Ontario. It's built like a brick s@#thouse. I have no problem raising the bed to dump it. Like you mentioned it is very versatile. It will hold my 763 skidsteer or my 328 mini-x. There are so many trailer manufacturers out there, must be close to 8 in my little province alone, it's hard for someone far away to recommend one. I can legally carry about 8000 lbs, illlegally (sp) 12 000 lbs. :naughty . Of course no sense having this without a truck with the balls to tow it. I have 2 2500hds both with the Duramax. I don't know if this helped you at all. :beatsme

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
What's the GCVWR of your truck? DOT has been working heavy around here lately pulling anyone in that looks suspect. Make sure your truck is rated to pull the weight you have in mind.

cat320

Charter Member
I have a cam 6x12 bobcat/dumpt trailer there 5 ton model and it has plenty of clearence to dump .I have have had everything in there loam,stone,regular dirt sand and my skid which weighs in at 6250 lbs . It hauls it fine and dumps good so if you want something like that you don't have to get the deck over if you still would like to carry equipment.

snonut12

Charter Member
I checked for GCWR on the door sticker but found nothing so I looked up the owner manual and it said for my 6.0L gasser that the max. is 16K. I am aware that mine can only tow up to 10K but I'd hate to buy another trailer again in future if the demand continue to go up (would be the 3rd time!). If it does I would be getting a Duramax and it would be nice to have one less thing to worry about during purchase because I would already have the trailer that it can pull at full capacity. Duramax truck has GCWR of 22K however the manual state that they can only pull up to 12K trailer, including the 5th wheel. So right now even though I am limited to 10K I think it'd be a better choice to get the 12K? I understand that I'd have to get CDL to legally tow it.

Keep the suggestions coming in! :thumbsup

cat320

Charter Member
When you buy the trailer have them down rate it from 12K to 10Kor9,999 That is what one trailer place said they would dow for me when i was looking .

snonut12

Charter Member
Rick, I've heard similar thing from someone who said that a dealer could re-tag the trailer. But once the trailer leave the dealer lot can it be re-tagged again in future? My guess would be probably not?

cat320

Charter Member
Stephen I think you could retag after it's only paper.But some trailers just by changing the tires the rating goes up ,the rest of the trailer is all ready built up with the springs and axels and stuff but they put a lesser weight tire capacity on and that brings the rating down I have seen on the web trailers that both have 6K lb axels but have different ratings. If you have a good trailer place near you just ask them or tell them what your palning on doing and they should be able to advise you better.

snonut12

Charter Member
I called the local dealer and asked for some base pricings. While I was talking with them I asked about re-tagging the trailer. They did not give a definite answer but it sounds like it is possible. I am planning to get CDL anyway so I'm not going to worry about re-tagging.

Their base pricing for Cam Superline 6x12 LP HD with 12K rating is $6195. This include slide out 7K ladder ramps, two cylinders, barn doors, 7K jack and pintle. How does that compare to what you paid? I think the recent high cost of steel are partial to blame.

cat320

Charter Member
I paid $5 for the same thing . I have still seen the same one out in belchertown MA for less than what I paid it sounds kinda high for me but the steel price could be doing something to up it but I would call another cam dealer just to keep them honest so to speak.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
I have a 6ft X 12 ft mortiz dump trailer with the ramp package,low profile,3 way tailgate and I love it this thing is built pretty freking strong. I bought it from a place in Mass named Orchard Trailers. I think there web site is www.moritz.com i think not sure though

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
not to change the subject

Hope I'm not getting oof subject.Does anyone have experience with "side dump" trailers?
We are putting our '83 Pete back into service,and are shopping for a 50T,detachable gooseneck lowboy,and a 24yd or better end dump,or side dump.Dump trailer has to be good for sand,type II,or spoils/junk asphalt.We had a double hopper belly dump,when we first got the truck,we were doing alot of grading jobs then,now we are sticking to underground stuff,and I'm not sure a side dump is much better than a belly,end dumps around here are scarce,and expensive,$41-47K,new,4-6 weeks from order.Side dumps are a little better,but,we're not sure they are as useful.I'd be grateful for any input.

snonut12

Charter Member
Rick, thanks for that link. I sent them an email but it was returned to me undeliverable so I'll try and give them a call. I also emailed another local dealer but they never got back to me so I guess I'll have to give them a call too so I can see if their price is in line with the one I told earlier. Chip, that link led to a different site so I did a quick google search and found the one you're talking about. Wow, beefy looking trailer.

Will 12' be long enough for a skid steer with attachment like a snowblower, snowplow, rotary broom, etc? Thanks.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
12 feet is going to be tight. Your best best bet would be to measure the exact setup that would be going on the trailer.

Not related to dump trailers, but this website has some of the toughest looking equipment trailers that I've seen. http://overbilttrailers.com/

cat320

Charter Member
Stephen if your gonna be putting any kind of attachemnt on there I would get the longer one oh and get the wider option one it is hard to tie it down with the 6' model.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
{"Chip, that link led to a different site so I did a quick google search and found the one you're talking about. Wow, beefy looking trailer." }

Yeah sorry about that The site Is www.moritzinternational.com this one should work I hope the last one I click on it and It came up with some wierd site sorry about that guys. Also a 12 ft is tight like a few people said will it work, yes. would a bigger one work, sure would. They make a 14ft dumper now If they had it when I bought mine3 years ago I would of gotten that one but 12ft is the biggest they had. It works great for me fits a skid in there perfectly if I need any bigger equipment I just call up my friend with a 20 ton trailer and he drops it off for me.

snonut12

Charter Member
Thanks - after receiving comments about tight fit I went and checked out on 14' dump trailers from a few manufacturers and unforunately I think it may not be the best option. It seems that 14' is very heavy thus meaning less carrying capacity. I've seen a couple that has empty weight of 4,000# and the price tag is very high. So for now I think that 12' would be the best choice. Perhaps I could put the attachments on bed of my truck? If the business in future expands, then I would get an equipment trailer.

I noticed that Cam Superline 12K rated dump trailer only have 15" D rated tires. I think that is pathetic. Most other manufacturers with 12K capacity has 16" tires. Cat320, what size tire are on yours? I don't see any upgrade option for 16" on their website, but is it available?

By the way I called Maine Trailer and unfortunately it appears that they are higher priced. They quoted $600 higher for the standard duty 6x12 and said they do not stock or won't even order the 6x12 HD version. Interesting. I also gave another local dealer a ring and was quoted just about the same ($6000) as the first local dealer that I got quote from. So from my viewpoint my local dealers are in line. BriMar seems to be higher priced than Cam, and weigh more. But the interesting part is their equipment trailer are much cheaper than Cam.

I will also continue to pursue and search into other manufacturers, but would like to try and keep it local. Anyone have a positive experience with Big Tex trailers?

Last edited:

cat320

Charter Member
I have never dealt with maine trailer but they are always adv. about trailer tags for $30 a year and so on I thought they would be cheaper but always good to make a few calls.There is a place in bealchertown MA that sells cam and I always see them advtise my trailer for 4999 but who knows might just be a gimminc to get you in .I don't have there number .My tires are 15" and axels are 5200 some 12K trailers have 6K axels with the 16" .I would get the wider option if you can 6' is just to tight when you have to get to the d rings to tie it down.