• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumb accident

HeyUvaVT

Found this posted on another site...thought you may want to take a look at what happens when a truck owners guts get the best of his brains

Attachments

• 1 (Small).jpg
    1 (Small).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,473
  • 2 (Small).jpg
    2 (Small).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 3 (Small).jpg
    3 (Small).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4,987
  • 5 (Small).jpg
    5 (Small).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5,484
  • 6 (Small).jpg
    6 (Small).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,329

wrenchbender

Well at least the skid steer was secured. And I bet from now on the driver will realize what the pucker factor is.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
that guy did chain the skidder down correctly. usually the load is in the other dtch from the truck. also to see the truck and trailer still connected is unusal too.

thansk for sharing

thansk

HeyUvaVT

Further info...that was apparently coming from a dealer's lot...the employees of the lot secured it on the trailer and warned him that the truck wouldnt control the trailer and skid...according the driver the truck began fishtailing and went out of control and the whole rig rolled twice and came to rest as pictured...he walked away from it with minor cuts and bruises

jmac

I think that the rental store should share some of responsibility for this. They allowed this guy who didn't understand what was going to happen to drive out of the parking lot. Shame on them!

Jeff D.

:eek: I bet that was a scary ride!

I wonder what is being pointed out in the pic with the arrow and the circled area?

HeyUvaVT

:eek: I bet that was a scary ride!

I wonder what is being pointed out in the pic with the arrow and the circled area?

the original poster of the pics was an employee at the rental store...he circled that part of the cab to illustrate that the trailer rolled at least once due to the angle of the cab being different than how it would have been if it had just gone down like it is laying in those pics...this was confirmed after talking to the driver the next day

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Its a good job the trackie was lashed with nice heavy chain for the size...and I hate to be picky because it obviously did the job...but that lashing arrangement wouldn't be legal here because (even though it a mini and is probably OK in the States) the chain is continuous going from one side to the other.

At least it was chained and it did the job so the mini didn't kill some innocent driver.

Thanks HeyUva

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I think that the rental store should share some of responsibility for this. They allowed this guy who didn't understand what was going to happen to drive out of the parking lot. Shame on them!
I disagree. According to HeyUvaVT, they warned him of the possible consequences and he took the risk anyway. I've got a problem with people shirking responsibility for their own actions, there's far too much of it in this country anymore.

wrenchbender

I disagree. According to HeyUvaVT, they warned him of the possible consequences and he took the risk anyway. I've got a problem with people shirking responsibility for their own actions, there's far too much of it in this country anymore.

:exactly :iagree

dayexco

:iagree :iagree

fhdesign

I also agree

PSDF350

Amen. Thing is to it just didn't all of a sudden start fishtailing. I'll bet it built up as his speed picked up. So his fualt for either not slowing and going very slow or brining back to then come back with appropriate towing viehical.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I wonder how many drivers are actually taught how to get out of a backslapper.....breaking can be the worst thing to do. Hard thing to teach but at least they could be told the technique.

BTW...would would the legal (manufacturer's) towing limit for that vehicle??

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

:iagree Absolutely!

People like this are the reason why we pay so much for insurance!

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
From the looks of where the Cat is on the trailer, maybe loading it more to the front would have prevented it from fish tailing? Not enough tongue weight makes it happen every time. :cool:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
From the looks of where the Cat is on the trailer, maybe loading it more to the front would have prevented it from fish tailing? Not enough tongue weight makes it happen every time. :cool:

I had the same sort of experience hauling a mini-ex with a one ton dump. It's amazing how much difference moving the load a foot forward on the trailer deck can make in handling qualities.

And I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with jmac. They turned the guy loose, who clearly didn't know the difference, with a vehicle that was clearly unfit for towing their machine, and even got involved to the point of binding it down for him. What if' he'd shown up with an SUV with a hitch, or wanted to haul a D6 with that truck? Sometimes "responsibility" means you have to say, "I'm not going to allow this to happen".

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

BTW...would would the legal (manufacturer's) towing limit for that vehicle??

Some are quick to agree with Steve and I strongly agree with individuals being held accountable for their actions but down here its like this:

The rental yard most not let an unsafe load out of their yard. They have a responsibility to the law/public and at any rate their own insurers will not honour a claim in such a circumstance. The first thing that happens at our rental yard is they come with a vernier caliper to check the diameter of the tow ball. Thats why I asked if anybody could determine the towing capacity of the vehicle.

The rental yard may now have to pursue the dealer of their own accord and the dealer's insurer may bail out on him too for knowingly doing something unlawful. The driver may well have been the meat in the sandwhich...told by his boss to go get the machine with the vehicle...whatever..I'm only speculating on very limited info.

The rental yard should not have let it go if they knew the tow was unlawful. They should have rung the dealer and told him to get a proper tow. If I go to the pit and ask the loader driver to put 8 tonnes on my 4 tonner he wont load it because he would be as dumb as me.

If you load something yourself and it all goes pear shaped then you have only got yourself to blame. If you are involved with helping someone else do something unlawful...then those bloody lawyers will likely come after you...no need to like it but it seems thats the way it is. At least the rental guy would appear to have warned the driver in this case so as Steve says he has to carry the weight...but I think I know what would of happened if someone had been injured. JMHO

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Squizzy and digger thinking almost the same thing at the same time, twice in two days. :eek: This is getting scary...