• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumb accident

diversified man

Occupation
CEO
wow that was a stupid move who sits sideways on the side of a hill some people just dont get it! all i know it if that guy worked for me he would have hoped he got hurt during that casue i probably would have hurt him .

Last edited:

Eric

i think what people have said is right. the rental yards need to do a little restricting on the vehicial used to pull something with.

I agree. I worked for a rental company for a few years. Sunstate Equipment. Best job I ever had. Anyway, we would NOT allow a customer to do this. Three quater ton or better, or he wouldn't leave the yard. We would deliver it for them or wait for them to borrow a real truck and come back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo21835

wow that was a stupid move who sits sideways on the side of a hill some people just dont get it! all i know it if that guy worked for me he would have hoped he got hurt during that casue i probably would have hurt him .

Kind of uncalled for when you dont know the story.

From the operator himself
That machine had 110 hours on it when that happened. I was in the cab definately not one of my finer moments. I've been operating since I'm 6 years old. I was backfilling the drainage rings when the two feet of frost I was sitting on gave way. I thought I was far enough away that it wouldn't go over so I raised the boom so I wouldn't hit the precast. I pulled to hard a jerked the machine and she started to flip. I was straight over the side when it went for some strange reason I closed my eyes and swung to the right. As the machine went over the bucket got embedded in the only rings that were backfilled. Just dumb luck I guess. Those rings are 18 feet deep. We got some big cables and pulled that 300 over with a d65 and a 744h. I went over at 8:30 am and was running at 10am. No damage to the machine, not even a broken mirror. Someone was watching over me that day. The logistics of the job is why I was backfilling over the side. The loaders were doing other thing so I had to walk each bucket to the hole. Sometimes we do things were not supposed to and its catches up to us, in this case the only damage was the top two rings of that one pool.

None of us ever give much thought to 2feet of frost giving way below us. We all do some hairy things when it comes to pipe work. Ive had to sit on top of trenches not much wider than the machine to backfill/compact them. Its part of the job

Reuben

Kind of uncalled for when you dont know the story.

From the operator himself
That machine had 110 hours on it when that happened. I was in the cab definately not one of my finer moments. I've been operating since I'm 6 years old. I was backfilling the drainage rings when the two feet of frost I was sitting on gave way. I thought I was far enough away that it wouldn't go over so I raised the boom so I wouldn't hit the precast. I pulled to hard a jerked the machine and she started to flip. I was straight over the side when it went for some strange reason I closed my eyes and swung to the right. As the machine went over the bucket got embedded in the only rings that were backfilled. Just dumb luck I guess. Those rings are 18 feet deep. We got some big cables and pulled that 300 over with a d65 and a 744h. I went over at 8:30 am and was running at 10am. No damage to the machine, not even a broken mirror. Someone was watching over me that day. The logistics of the job is why I was backfilling over the side. The loaders were doing other thing so I had to walk each bucket to the hole. Sometimes we do things were not supposed to and its catches up to us, in this case the only damage was the top two rings of that one pool.

None of us ever give much thought to 2feet of frost giving way below us. We all do some hairy things when it comes to pipe work. Ive had to sit on top of trenches not much wider than the machine to backfill/compact them. Its part of the job

You are right we do do some hairy things but.....I am sure you will never put your self in that position again......which in it self speaks volumes......( other wise you should never have been in that position in the first place right.)