• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you need 700HP in your truck?

mackman

I had heard that cat is loving this emission bologna so much they are getting out of the vocational truck market.

BCB

You are right, it is two totally different leagues. Thats why we have more power to weight ratios than most of the big rigs do. My D-max runs around 500HP and 900 ft lbs of torque in a 7k daily driver. This is a bone stock engine and tranny too. The Cummins in 3/4-1ton dodges are capable of 750-800 HP and over 1k of torque on a stock engine. So when you are pulling a 40k rig up a hill and you watch a 3/4 ton truck towing a combined weight of 20k pass you on a hill like your tied to a tree then you see the power these little trucks do have.

you want me to believe you have a bone stock Alison holding 550? :roll

Haul-Pak

Well Done Volvo. :notworthy

700hp from a 16ltr straight 6 and still flying in the face of EU. Ide Like to see a few of the Major Player meet them standards and last more than a few month. :rolleyes:

Imagine what they could squeeze out of it if they didnt have to worry about Reliablity?

I for one have the up-most respect for them. They just set the standard Year in .. Year out. I wonder if its an option on a 4x2?

EDIT: Do you need 700HP in your truck? Hell yeah.

EDIT: Yeah it come's in 4x2.

FH16%20-%20700h1.jpg

Play the Game

I scored 154887

Last edited:

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
700hp Volvo single drive , she could lite em up with a load on . HooYah .
yeah, i was really surprised to see they make it in a 4x2, it would definately need traction control, i have to be careful in the mack on wet roads turning corners in lower gears, fairly easy to make wheelspin which is scary.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
its the Bzzzzzzzzzit...BANG! Clunk Clunk Clunk bit that gets me:eek:
LOL!!! What an accurate description!

That's the only downside to power, you have to know how to apply it without breaking something. I was sitting next to a truck pulling an overseas container in traffic on the Jersey side of the GWB, every time he would start from a stop the tractor would start hopping like mad, that trailer must have been heavy!! Finally one time the front wheel came up about a foot off the ground and BANG!! CLUNk...CLunk...clunk... no more movement.

mackman

You'll need 500 horse of that to haul the fule it will burn, and the other 200 to pull the payment book!

JDOFMEMI

When driven right, big power will match up to an economy engine, because it does not have to work as hard. The bigger the load, the better that comparison gets. Just making a legal load, the big powerplant does OK, but get up to 150K and higher, the more power and the better mileage you can get.

Also, Volvo is known for fuel efficiency, so I would bet it does OK in that department.
As for the drivetrain, the right components help, and if you have enough power to pull a grade without shifting as much, then you take that shock out of the system as well.

I see trucks with 9 speeds, and they struggle if loaded heavy. The low gear is still too tall, and the splits between gears are just too much, especially with road gears in the rear ends. In an 18 speed with 2 speed rears, 240K gets rolling without any drama like hopping, tires lifting, clutches slipping, or anything else. Just ease out on the clutch, then roll on the power, and shift.

Haul-Pak

Yeah Big Power can help alot, You could Block change no problem in the right Condition with all that torque.

I think the 700bhp come's with the Volvo I-shift auto only.

600 - 660hp's come with a Manual shift.

Scania Are currently Testing a 700hp version of the 164 V8 Engine and Jerry already have a 680hp V8 running around.

All EURO 5 ...

Last edited:

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
:ban

Another volvo great idea. Shove a slush box transmission down your throat if you want the 700 HP rather than an 18 speed. The swedes never have been to good at offering what people want. "You only think you know what you want, but we know what you need." Off to the Pete store I guess.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
:ban

Another volvo great idea. Shove a slush box transmission down your throat if you want the 700 HP rather than an 18 speed. The swedes never have been to good at offering what people want. "You only think you know what you want, but we know what you need." Off to the Pete store I guess.

It might also be that the Swedes have worked that there is an awful lot of truck drivers out there without much experience in dealing with big power and big loads. It just might be that the auto-box looks after the driveline a little more like the owner of the truck would want it!.

JDOFMEMI

Squizzy has a good point there. Myself, if I am driving, want the 18 speed with 2 speed rears. My hired help???? bring on the juice box. Besides, like everything else, the modern automatics are nothing like the old ones that created the bad impression.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Squizzy has found the cause for the I-shift.:)
You just go to 1000rpm's and then your up to max torque...
Imagine letting out the clutch pedal just abit rough...:cool:

When Scania came with the V8 back in the 70-80's they where known to twist the driveaxles..

Only Sisu sells 600hp+ trucks with a manual clutch here around.
MAN,Scania, Volvo, Merc, they all got automated boxes/chlutces.:cool2

I mean i read somewhere that the electronic brain redused torque on the engine when engaging the clutch..
And that the trucks has sensors registering weight, angle and stuff to get the right gear/torque/clutchhandling when starting.
And of course, special drivline programs after what use the truck will do.(long haulage, distribution or construction program)

I had my rumpsteak in a 620 Sisu and it had so much torque on the low side, it didnt mater if you started in high series...(empty)

Dualie

Yeah Big Power can help alot, You could Block change no problem in the right Condition with all that torque.

I think the 700bhp come's with the Volvo I-shift auto only.

600 - 660hp's come with a Manual shift.

Scania Are currently Testing a 700hp version of the 164 V8 Engine and Jerry already have a 680hp V8 running around.

All EURO 5 ...

The I Shift is JUNK. my drinking buddy bought 6 of them for his fleet for the same reasons mentioned above. Keep his drivers from tearing stuff up to bad. Every single one has had to be towed in for repairs. Most of them were NO start conditions because a sensor failed and the truck thought it was in gear and wouldn't start.

One broke down on the highway during rush hour and the F.S.P. pushed it to the side of the road while it still had air. That journey of maybe 1000' was enough to cook the transmission.

His exact words were atleast when one of his "all stars" blew a transmission the truck was actually running when the did it.

Hes going back to Eaton manuals.