• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you need 700HP in your truck?

jimmyjack

700 is supposed to be doable with my little 5.9 in my 1/2 ton dodge. sure would be fun. dont tow with it any way. just a play toy. funds wont let it happen at this point. i submit it aint about needs it is about wants as long as one doesnt tread on the RIGHTS of others.

i must have missed something when did dodge put the cummins in a half ton:beatsme

rwatkins

Jughead probly meant 3/4 ton. They started in the 89 model year but only in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

jimmyjack

yea i was just busting balls:rolleyes: i figured he meant 3/4 ton,pretty sure gm was the only ones who put diesels in there half tons , the mighty 6.5:throwup

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
How about I can work on an E9 500 HP cause it does not have a #$#$$#@&@@#&&*#@!@#@$$^%^%%%*&() computer on it. Oh ya, one other thing I just love about it. IT IS PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

mackman

I have macks, and my grandad had macks for almost 40 years. The only thing mack about these new macks is the part between the mudflaps. I am trying to keep mine machanical. I don't understand how you can justify these emission standards when these new electronic motors burn a 1/3 more fule to do the same work, not to mention you have to be a nasa engineer to change the oil. I can just imagine how well this urea injection will work. Since amonia an metal react so well together. You can only do so much with a diesel, you still need fuel, and air, and you can only get the exhaust gases so hot. I wouldn't have anything else, but I will rebuild an old one before I'll buy a new one. I suppose volvo will do to mack what the did to Clark Michigan, make it comfortable and plastic. If that is what everyone wants enjoy. I am happy with my dinosours. Sorry I spun out of control on that one.

BCB

Jughead probly meant 3/4 ton. They started in the 89 model year but only in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

no i know for sure dodge put a cummins in a half ton in the late 80's because one of our contractors has one i tried to buy off of him.

KevD815

the mighty 6.5

HAHAHAHAHA:D

My buddy has a 06 Duramax thats pushing out just shy of 700hp. Its pretty silly driving a diesel pickup that spins to 5,000 rpm and will break the tires loose at highway speeds.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
too much horsepower ? no way.

my first truck was a bogie drive international tipper powered by a 120 horsepower perkins, 5 speed box with 3 speed joey box, no air cond, started slowing down when it saw a hill, my latest truck is a mack magnum with a 600 horsepower cummins signature, i have never heard any one complain their truck had too much power, i could handle 700 horsepower.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
:ban
Hey you four wheelers with your chevys and dodges. You are not in the same building let alone the same class as the big trucks so don't talk about horse power when you aren't trying to move 90,000 to 105,000 gross like the rest of us.

As fo you Mackman, YOU HIT THE BLOODY STINKING NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Lots of us guys around here are saying the same thing as you are. I too will keep rebuilding what I have instead of going for the other stuff coming out. As I told the local Mack salesman in 2006 when they though I should think about a new 2006 before the new standards hit, "If I was going to do something I would be talking to the Peterbilt man because there I could get a Cat in a Pete rather than a cummins in a CL. If I were to buy a lowboy tractor today I would be looking for a late Superliner.:Banghead:bash:bash

jughead

Occupation
retired
700 hp

i must have missed something when did dodge put the cummins in a half ton:beatsme

for your information i put it in the truck. it was almost a bolt in swap. the 318 was worn out. like i said i dont tow with it i have a 3/4 that i would tow with. the 1/2 ton is a play toy only. i also drove a few 18 wheelers in the late 50s. all i drove were lacking in power unless really worked on. there are truckers and there are so-called truckers. what i did off road with 18 wheelers then about 75% of the so-called truckers today would run for help. a few times with a dozer blade in the side of the box on a hill side to keep the damn thing from rolling. wouldnt, couldnt do it now just to old and or chicken.:drinkup

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
:ban
Hey you four wheelers with your chevys and dodges. You are not in the same building let alone the same class as the big trucks so don't talk about horse power when you aren't trying to move 90,000 to 105,000 gross like the rest of us.

You are right, it is two totally different leagues. Thats why we have more power to weight ratios than most of the big rigs do. My D-max runs around 500HP and 900 ft lbs of torque in a 7k daily driver. This is a bone stock engine and tranny too. The Cummins in 3/4-1ton dodges are capable of 750-800 HP and over 1k of torque on a stock engine. So when you are pulling a 40k rig up a hill and you watch a 3/4 ton truck towing a combined weight of 20k pass you on a hill like your tied to a tree then you see the power these little trucks do have.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmyjack

for your information i put it in the truck. it was almost a bolt in swap. the 318 was worn out. like i said i dont tow with it i have a 3/4 that i would tow with. the 1/2 ton is a play toy only. i also drove a few 18 wheelers in the late 50s. all i drove were lacking in power unless really worked on. there are truckers and there are so-called truckers. what i did off road with 18 wheelers then about 75% of the so-called truckers today would run for help. a few times with a dozer blade in the side of the box on a hill side to keep the damn thing from rolling. wouldnt, couldnt do it now just to old and or chicken.:drinkup

thats what im saying YOU made a 1/2ton cummins pick-up.... i like the idea put a cummins in a reg cab short bed 2wd now thats a little hot rod:drinkup

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
woodchuck,

I didn't say 40,000 pound rig, I said 90k to 105K. Hook that on to your chevy. Oh ya, try and stop if after you get it moving too.

Dualie

woodchuck,

I didn't say 40,000 pound rig, I said 90k to 105K. Hook that on to your chevy. Oh ya, try and stop if after you get it moving too.

Getting it moving and keeping it moving is no problem but your correct stopping is the issue.

The 550hp Heavy haul program in the kenworth does alright by me. 700Hp would be nice depending on how efficiantly it uses the torque.

JDOFMEMI

There is also a big difference between rated HP and max HP.

The 550 horse Cat in my lowbed will push out 550 horse all day long, and still be running years from now. It is designed for it,
These little truck diesels can make big numbers, for a short time, but if you push them hard, they will be melted down in no time. They are only capable of pushing around 200 horsepower sustained without damage.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Jerry,

You got it on the nose there too. Two totally different machines. Maybe that explains the reason you can almost stick the whole little chevy or dodge engine into one cylinder of your Cat.

Iron Horse

I must admit these pickups with screwed up Diesels show some impressive figures . But don't confuse a 700hp Cummins in a Dodge Ram with the 700hp Volvo that this thread is about , with it's 2,323lbft of torque . Because that's what 3150NM is . This truck would have no trouble pulling 100 tons at highway speed from one side of the US to the other and then reload and do it again going home , that's the difference .