• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Demo'ing steps is always a crapshoot. I've torn them out where it was just CMU walls on light footings with rubble, gravel and dirt fill to the ones that were solid concrete. Those were pretty good sized footings for a house.

What were the conduits for - communications?

That's a lot of heavy lifting for an oil change..:cool2

Landclearer

Demo'ing steps is always a crapshoot. I've torn them out where it was just CMU walls on light footings with rubble, gravel and dirt fill to the ones that were solid concrete. Those were pretty good sized footings for a house.

What were the conduits for - communications?

That's a lot of heavy lifting for an oil change..:cool2

One conduit was for future fire alarm the other was for future irrigation.

The wrecker was a 75 ton rotator. Cat figured they would do a "product update " because they have had oil pumps fail and loose some motors. One was at our county landfill.

movindirt

The $14 a ton is not what I'm paying, that's reserved for some haulers who have the volume. My average cost per ton over the 6 ton cap on a 30 is $20-26 depending on the landfill. Even if I hauled it myself I wouldn't get that good of a rate due to low volume.

Current average rate on a 30 is around $500 with a 6 ton cap. Average demo box will be 9 tons, so I'm in around $560 per 30 yard can. A couple of extra tons on the box doesn't really affect the job cost unless it's a large demo.

All in all if I were paying $70 a ton and that was the going rate for my area it wouldn't make a difference to me, just another line item cost on the bid. The market is what the market is.;)

I hear ya, it doesn't really make any difference like you said, I just find it interesting how much the price for things like that can vary over the country. I've never used a dumpster, filled a couple for different folks, but never ordered one. I've got some taller sides that I put on the tandem so I can haul just over 25 cu. yds with it, usually weigh in at around 6 tons for that yardage on a normal demo. 20160405_132720.jpg I can put a guy in a truck and haul almost the same yardage as a dumpster and be more flexible time wise with it, the only downside is with the truck I have about 10 minutes a turn loading it that I wouldn't have with a can... 6 one way, half dozen the other...

Landclearer

Too late to edit the post now, but sorry for hijacking your thread Landclearer :eek:ops

No worries! I just saw it and was going to reply. I would do the same if I were you. Like you said, you are getting nearly the same yardage as a can and the truck is yours. Makes good sense to me.

You didn't hijack my thread so no need to apologize. Nice to see how you do demo.

movindirt

No worries! I just saw it and was going to reply. I would do the same if I were you. Like you said, you are getting nearly the same yardage as a can and the truck is yours. Makes good sense to me.

You didn't hijack my thread so no need to apologize. Nice to see how you do demo.

Thanks, I figure its pretty efficient, for the same yardage I would have to hire a semi and short dump and they still carry the same yardage and weight. If I did a lot of demo I would get a big walking floor like you guys have, 2 loads off a house would be nice :D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I hear ya, it doesn't really make any difference like you said, I just find it interesting how much the price for things like that can vary over the country. I've never used a dumpster, filled a couple for different folks, but never ordered one. I've got some taller sides that I put on the tandem so I can haul just over 25 cu. yds with it, usually weigh in at around 6 tons for that yardage on a normal demo. I can put a guy in a truck and haul almost the same yardage as a dumpster and be more flexible time wise with it, the only downside is with the truck I have about 10 minutes a turn loading it that I wouldn't have with a can... 6 one way, half dozen the other...

I'd do the same and use what you have. Currently I don't own any dump trucks and it works for my business model at this time. In the past I've had two.

Cans work for me as they're a convenience and I price them into the job. It's nice to make a phone call and have a couple of 30's or 40's show up on the job and a phone call to make them go away. There is also a 60CY dump trailer I can get for the bigger demos.

BTW - you can hijack LC's thread all you want.:tong:D

Landclearer

I'd do the same and use what you have. Currently I don't own any dump trucks and it works for my business model at this time. In the past I've had two.

Cans work for me as they're a convenience and I price them into the job. It's nice to make a phone call and have a couple of 30's or 40's show up on the job and a phone call to make them go away. There is also a 60CY dump trailer I can get for the bigger demos.

BTW - you can hijack LC's thread all you want.:tong:D

Sometimes you think trucks are a pain but for us we need them. Between hauling dirt, trash and mulch we keep them busy. One thing I do like about cans is it is easy to load them on the ground.

Feel free to hijack it keeps things interesting:D

Landclearer

It was a busy week here. We also had 5 inches of rain on Weds from the tropical storm. We did get to work until lunch time.

Still had a pretty productive week. Got started on a 70 acre mulching job. This job will be stretched out over a while. I am mulching areas for the archeological dig on a future development. As you can see you never know what you are going to find. This is about a truckload of field plastic.

536-2.jpg

536-4.jpg

Finished filling the residential lot and put 1200 feet of silt fence up for the same builder on a new condo job(no pics of the silt fence).

536 004.jpg

Also started fine grading the rock in a small parking lot we are doing.

536 004.jpg

536 002.jpg

Attachments

• 536 001.jpg
    536 001.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 648

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
70 acres of mulching that's a nice sized job. What's field plastic? The black plastic farmers use to cover the rows?

Landclearer

Yes the field plastic is what they cover the rows with. They used to burn it now I guess they are environmentally friendly and dump it in the edge of the woods:D

It is 70 acres but it is in little pieces all over the 1400 acres so it is kind of a pain but it is hourly so that is ok.

NYlogger

I know what you mean with the mowing. We run a 721e hydro-ax with a rotary deck. I was mowing a old industrial site this week. It was like a very loud treasure hunt. Found many interesting things including a very deep hand dug well.

Landclearer

I know what you mean with the mowing. We run a 721e hydro-ax with a rotary deck. I was mowing a old industrial site this week. It was like a very loud treasure hunt. Found many interesting things including a very deep hand dug well.

I am glad to know someone else feels my pain:D. The place I am at is not as bad your your job but there are areas that have a fair amount of steel. I actually found a boiler, steel pipe and a tone of barb wire in one area. I left that area and we are going to bring in an excavator to pick up the steel before I mow it.

NYlogger

I ended up just grubbing some areas out as well. Not worth getting a flat tire. The only good thing about a rotary head is that they seem more tolerant to debris. The mulching head like yours leaves a much nicer finished product though.

Landclearer

I ended up just grubbing some areas out as well. Not worth getting a flat tire. The only good thing about a rotary head is that they seem more tolerant to debris. The mulching head like yours leaves a much nicer finished product though.

I fully agree, the rotary heads are more tolerant. Everything has its pluses and minuses. Most of the people we mulch for want a small end product without any big shards.

Landclearer

We got the paving contractor lined up for Monday so we finished grading the small parking lot, an on street parking area as well as some other areas we took the asphalt out so they could pave instead of just having several patches.

shopping center 009.jpg

shopping center 007.jpg

shopping center 006.jpg

shopping center 004.jpg

shopping center 003.jpg

We did start the clearing on the condo job but only got one pic. Will get some of that this week.

Landclearer

Worked on the mulching job this week. Before I started back we replaced the windshield. The Tigercat dealer wanted $2600 for it. It is 1.25 thick lexan Found a piece on Ebay for $1100 with shipping. We did have to cut it to size.

Found some fun stuff while mulching also. A boiler a bunch of tires, some steel pipe and a mess of barbed wire fence. It is always an adventure.

mulcher 012.jpg

mulcher 013.jpg

mulcher 002.jpg

mulcher 006.jpg

mulcher 008.jpg