• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Landclearer

Nice. These pictures are great.

Dang I do love that KW dump and it even looks good with the bed up showing the tinted glass, dual stack, and 4" lights on the back of the cab. Yall don't mess around. Black with a pintle hitch and all, it really is my dream dump truck . A guy I use often has a T800 and I finally sat in it today and was a bit let down at the size inside. I always though it had a wider cab than it does. I pulled out the measuring tape and measured 67" from window to window. I was thinking it was bigger. I checked my old Ford L9000 and it was at 71". I just measured my 379 and it's the same measurement as the KW at 67" from window to window. Only a factor in my world because I take two guys with me to every job.

Well great pics and jobs again.:notworthy

Yes the KW cabs are small, like you said same as the Pete's. I guess if you wanted a big cab KW it would have to be a T880 . They are selling a lot of them around here but I like the old school look. I think the only cab smaller than ours would be a R model Mack. The old Western Stars were small too.

tylermckee

Love the mulcher, any videos of it in action? We have a fecon mulcher mounted on an excavator and its amazing how quick you can make a tree disappear.

Landclearer

Love the mulcher, any videos of it in action? We have a fecon mulcher mounted on an excavator and its amazing how quick you can make a tree disappear.

Sorry no videos. It depends on the tree, the pines you see take no time at all I guess about a minute. That is just a guess, never really timed it.

Sounds like you are happy with your mulcher. Do you have a power pack or just run off the machines hydraulics? What type of teeth are you running?

tylermckee

We just run it off the machine hydraulics, does pretty well on trees up to about 8-10" at the base. So far we have only ran the double carbide. Run into a lot of rock in my area and the teeth seem to hold up fairly well. I would love to run one on a machine with a power pack, it would be unstoppable!

Landclearer

We just run it off the machine hydraulics, does pretty well on trees up to about 8-10" at the base. So far we have only ran the double carbide. Run into a lot of rock in my area and the teeth seem to hold up fairly well. I would love to run one on a machine with a power pack, it would be unstoppable!

8 to 10 inches is pretty good for no auxiliary and double carbides. What size machine are you running? If you did not have the rock, I would say do a stagger pattern with double carbides and chippers. That is what we do but fortunately we don't have to deal with rock. It makes a huge difference in production and the quality of the wood chips.

450smrider

I was gonna say if u think the kW cab is small sit in a r model mack my 99 t800 is like a stretch limo compared to my 99 r model also I'm very jealous of your "fill" lc being its sand

correysmith32

Wow, those are some nice pictures and it's pretty cool what you guys do. I have always wondered if that's the easiest part of your job but just looking at home much mess it leaves and find it could be hard to clean up the mess. Well, what do you guys do with the mess or is there another crew that does the cleaning up? http://abbottsconstruction.com/Our-Services

Fastdirt

I was gonna say if u think the kW cab is small sit in a r model mack my 99 t800 is like a stretch limo compared to my 99 r model also I'm very jealous of your "fill" lc being its sand

You ain't lying. A guy I work around a lot has an R model dump and after he dropped some stone today I measured his glass to glass and it's 63" compared to a W900 and a 379 at 67" and the L9000 at 71". R models are cozy. I just always assumed the KW was wider, it looked wider.

I too am jealous of that "fill".

Landclearer

You ain't lying. A guy I work around a lot has an R model dump and after he dropped some stone today I measured his glass to glass and it's 63" compared to a W900 and a 379 at 67" and the L9000 at 71". R models are cozy. I just always assumed the KW was wider, it looked wider.

I too am jealous of that "fill".

Yeah, I think you don't get much smaller than an R model. At least it is easy to roll down the passenger side window:D I never really minded a small cab but I don't have to carry anyone around with. I would really like to know how wide an old Western Star can is.

The sand has good points and bad points. When dry it is hard to grade or drive in but when it rains it doesn't turn to slop. I know what you work in Fastdirt but I am wondering what you have you work in 450SMrider?

Landclearer

Wow, those are some nice pictures and it's pretty cool what you guys do. I have always wondered if that's the easiest part of your job but just looking at home much mess it leaves and find it could be hard to clean up the mess. Well, what do you guys do with the mess or is there another crew that does the cleaning up? http://abbottsconstruction.com/Our-Services

Thanks Correy, which mess do you mean, that is one thing I am good at, making a mess:rolleyes:

tkoden

A little of something different. We had to put in 11k feet of 1" and 1.25" HDPE pipe for a cattle watering project.

20141125_130933[1].jpg20141125_144405[1].jpg20141128_082903[1].jpg

tkoden

The worst part was figuring out how to run the machine and weld the pipe. There is a very steep learning curve and at $5k/week rent you don't have much time to goof around learning.

Landclearer

The worst part was figuring out how to run the machine and weld the pipe. There is a very steep learning curve and at $5k/week rent you don't have much time to goof around learning.

I can see where you would not want to mess around at 5k a week. How deep did you plow?

tkoden

It would do 60" we only went about 18-24". The reason for the large machine is we had about a 1500' run down a ridge back in heavy rock and another section through a heavily wooded section with 4-6" diameter roots.

Landclearer

It would do 60" we only went about 18-24". The reason for the large machine is we had about a 1500' run down a ridge back in heavy rock and another section through a heavily wooded section with 4-6" diameter roots.

You just answered my next question about rock. If you don't mind me asking, how feet could you get a day?

tkoden

It really depends on soil type. Rocky soil you have to pre-rip the soil. In normal soil, about as fast as you can walk Maybe faster.

Since I had to unroll the pipe as my dad drove he couldn't go any faster than I could walk backward. I think we did 300 or 4000 feet our last day in good soil.

Landclearer

Nothing to exciting this week. We did finish the demo job and started the clearing part then the rain came like always.

AM storage 001.jpg

AM storage 002.jpg

AM storage 003.jpg

Did a little grading job behind a house. Turned out good but could have used more dirt but that was what the owner wanted to spend.

AM storage 004.jpg

AM storage 006.jpg

Landclearer

Got started on grading a section of road. It is pretty well roughed in and all we need to do is brush over it with the grader, roll it and get a proof roll done then we can start putting down the base.

AM storage 007.jpg

AM storage 008.jpg

AM storage 009.jpg