• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DEF... What's the point?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
We haven't had 100% gas since '90 Everything with a carb, rubber fuel lines and steel gas tanks has had major work to continue operating. The farmers lobby hit us with that. Never mind it has only 2/3 the energy of gas, that its corrosive and uses more energy to produce than its worth. The illinois EPA says its better. FU@% the EPA . Now they're pushing bio diesel down our throats. I dont think anywhere sells anything better than B10 out here.
More subsidies paid for with tax dollars. I know we're not supposed to get political here, but you cant ignore the elephant in the room

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
About a decade back maybe more, they waged war on the 2 stroke. They wanted to ban production, importation etc. The landscaping industries, loggers, lot maintenance off road utility vehicle mfr's all opposed. And they spent mad money fighting that. They won, but the money they spent to stay alive. Can you imagine lugging a 4 stroke weed eater or chain saw.
Man we got way, waaa y off topic but in the end the EPA , not really our friends.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, I'd certainly add the people's republic of Illinois to that list. At least the northern region. Every pump I've come across says," this junk fuel contains up to 10% ethanol"

Labparamour

Thankfully, farm store near me has ethanol-free in all there pumps! (Used to just have a single pump a few years back)
I’ll fill my cans for all my small engines.
Darryl

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I'd certainly add the people's republic of Illinois to that list. At least the northern region. Every pump I've come across says," this junk fuel contains up to 10% ethanol"

For the most part looks like you're right in that area, but a search for Will County Illinois shows one station east of Shorewood
that sells 100% gas. > https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That is a very neat application. Downside, thats joliet regional airport. Controlled access. Probably cant go get a fill up. But now i see, there are resources. Thanks for the link.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Most places up here regular and mid grade are advertised as "up to 10% ethanol" and premium gas "contains no ethanol"

I'm sure glad we still have 2 strokes. Nothing sounds better than a Crossfire 800 2-stroke.

Hobbytime

I use the marine stabilizer( blue color) in all my small gas engines for years and so far has done well combating the ethanol and keeps them running smooth or as smooth as possible...lets see whats next the politicians shove down our throats to use...:mad:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brother In Law works for the local St. Louis Transit agency METROLINK, he told me they pull the DPF units off every month, send them to a regeneration facility where they are cooked to reduce the Particulate size. The residue is then sent to a trash dump as "Clean Ash". The service company charges them $3000 to regen these things, then returns them for reuse, they are cooked at 1800 degrees for six hours using Nat Gas flames. He thinks are stupid, finds little value in them as choke up badly on in-city transit buses but keeps him in work. They also have CNG units, Cummins engines, are getting a day to a tankful that stretches from forward axle to duals and requires six hours to refill. Local trucks are starting to run CNG to get away from the Tier 4 systems and DPF, based on consumption they are only getting around 3.5mpg on CNG conversion figures from PSI to Gal. Diesel in the old days had 138,000(+/-) BTU per gallon, CNG is somewhere around 100,000.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The (nationwide) local trash company also uses almost all CNG at this point, they usually have 1 truck at the compressor at any given time during the day and all night there is a guy who drives them to and from the compressor which is not located at the yard, 4 or 5 trucks at the fill station all night long.

One day the compressor broke down, they had to ship in a part from across the country, it lost them a day's work and all the schedules were turned upside down.

check

In Montana, most gas sold in cities is 10% ethanol, but there are a few locations where you can buy "non ethanol premium". Sometimes it's sold as "non oxygenated" premium or "snowmobile fuel". The pump will be marked "this fuel contains no ethanol" and it generally costs 60 cents a gallon more than regular. From what I hear, ethanol is really bad for 2 cycle engines.

If this were not available, I would add PRI-G fuel stabilizer to any engines that don't burn all the fuel in 6 weeks time.

td25c

LoL, I wish, I'd love to have that for my old '85 F150 with a 300 six!

Threads like this one sure make a feller appreciate a 1985 Ford F150 with a 300 in line six . Well built dependable iron that just keeps on goin !:cool:

Truck like that is money in the bank .

td25c

It was a pretty cool event willie .

Drag race at the airport :) Without getting arrested . LOL !:D