• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450B with hoe and 4 in 1 bucket...

hetkind

I think repowerguy was trying to say you don't need to pull the valve cover. If you remove the little timing window from the side of the injection pump, the timing marks in the pump will only line up on TDC #1. Pop the pin in the flywheel hole and you're good to go.

gotcha, and I found I can rotate the flywheel, tooth by tooth via the timing hole...good deal.

Howard

Delmer

There is a Deere tool to rotate the flywheel using the hole you're using probably. I thought the belt would work, if it's too loose, grab the belt mid span to keep it tight while easing the fan blade around.

lantraxco

LMAO! I think I started that rumor.... no, I have some knowledge of them, especially the older units, but I'm no expert. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Oh, and Bar None is where I have a beer now and then! :drinkup

Watched an episode of Big Fix Alaska where the head honcho swapped a Cummins 5BT into a Morooka 1500. Had to helicopter the engine in to a remote lake.
Guy's a butcher, was I supposed to be impressed with the field fixes? Ah well, who am I to argue with a "Master Mechanic"?

hetkind

Good morning and thanks for all the help yesterday. We finally got the engine timed, and it has a replacement flywheel in it without the 1/2" timing hole...so we made our own mark with a black sharpie. Just like pulling a distributor in a gas engine except there are hard plumbed hoses instead of wires. With the help of the wife to watch for the timing mark on the pump, and with me turning the flywheel and look for that mark, we got it timed in under 30 minutes.

I am going to the local diesel emporium and drop the pump off this morning and maybe get it back by Friday so I can reassemble and work the tractor over the weekend.

It looks like the belly pan needs to come off for a good cleaning and to free up the hydraulic pump release mechanism so I can put a new belt on it...Rock Auto has them for $8 so I ordered two in both sizes spec'd in the manual!

Again, thanks for all the assistance, the crawler loader configuration puts the parts that should be easy to get to, like the fan belt, in difficult places and the parts normally hard to get to, like the flywheel in easy places.

Howard

hetkind

Just an update, got a call back from our local diesel emporium, cost to rebuild the Roosa-Master injector pump is under $600 with tax and will be ready in about a week...so things are moving.

Howard

hetkind

Well, injection pump came back and after solving some thread issues, timed right up and is running great...could use a stronger hydraulic pump, I know several different capacity pumps were offered as options.

Wife is having a blast at playing operator...first job she did was to tear up the raised bed garden for a hot tub install!

Howard

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A friend's father is a white collar sort. The father bought a Kubota toy backhoe/loader. He loaned it to his son for a month or two. Mrs. son commandeered it, and refused to surrender it. He referred to her as having a five gallon a day habit. He had numerous projects on the agenda, none got done. Lots of lovely landscaping did get done.

hetkind

I like that, a five gallon a day habit. We looked at the B and BX series Kubota backhoe/loaders. They looked great for a hobby farm or a landscaper. But they were expensive and they looked awfully delicate for a logging road.

My wife grew up on a large cattle farm in West Tennessee and she is used to operating heavy JD equipment, the farm had some big cab 8000 series tractors. At her suggestion, we got a 275 gallons used fuel oil tank. It has been cleaned, painted, a new cradle fabricated and a new pump waiting to be installed. My wife's diesel fuel habit will be in the from of a phone call to Volunteer Oil for a delivery when they are in our area.

On the other hand, she is saving me $20/hr from hiring an operator.

Howard

A friend's father is a white collar sort. The father bought a Kubota toy backhoe/loader. He loaned it to his son for a month or two. Mrs. son commandeered it, and refused to surrender it. He referred to her as having a five gallon a day habit. He had numerous projects on the agenda, none got done. Lots of lovely landscaping did get done.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm kind of jealous. I've tried to persuade Mrs B to use a loader. She runs around with a little trailer hooked to either a lawn tractor, or a little 20 HP Mitsubishi 4x4 tractor I got cheap. She can't back up a trailer, so things often go badly.

A friend wanted to borrow my Case backhoe. He brought me a Kubota, maybe 23 Horsepower little tractor. That was the weekend I installed the invisible fence. Digging a 6" deep trench wasn't all that bad, until I crossed the driveway! Three hours later I had 40' of 6" deep ditch across the driveway. The smallest diesel 4x4s with backhoe & loader aren't very much more useful than a wheelbarrow and round shovel.

While I had it, a do it himself customer had overshot the power pole installing conduit for his new underground service. The power company refused to connect. It was 3' past the pole, exited the ground in schedule 40 conduit, and about a 45 degree angle from vertical. A simple job, dig down 4 feet, cut back the conduit, bend schedule 80, and couple on. With my case I'd have finished the digging in 20 minutes. Part of that time would be unloading. With the little machine, it had so little reach, by the fifth scoop it was falling back in the hole. I had to turn around several times to use the loader to move the spoils pile. All told it took 5 hours!

hetkind

I feel for you...and getting a big enough piece of equipment to do want needs to be done around here has not been cheap or easy. Two wheel drive backhoes tend to sink and stick, four wheel drives in the used market start at 25k or so, plus they all need work. So we found this crawler, put in some renovation money and now we are finally seeing some use out of it.

Sorry to hear about your terrible Kubota experience, in Texas they were seen as premium ag machines, but expensive on parts.

We could have gotten a new MF compact for the same money, but they don't do so well digging stumps or installing drains, two of our main uses.

Howard

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't separate Kubota from other manufacturers. Too many people buy a tiny tractor that won't meet their needs. Many people want new. New prices are high, so they buy little. These things are best limited to old men who retired too early from white collar jobs.

Willie

hetkind

I don't separate Kubota from other manufacturers. Too many people buy a tiny tractor that won't meet their needs. Many people want new. New prices are high, so they buy little. These things are best limited to old men who retired too early from white collar jobs.

Willie

Well, people tend to underestimate their needs and overestimate the capability of a machine. Also, they fell safer in buying new instead of leaving how to operate an old tractor with possibly degraded operations, they buy a new small tractor, and then bend that up manhandling it. Maintenance of heavy equipment can be scary to some people.

I am not installing flower beds or placing underground sprinkler lines, I will be building a large, personal park to live in. There are culverts to install, large, dead hemlocks to remove, haul and dig stumps, mudholes to be drained, road to be built and if I thought I could accomplish those tasks with a mini-tractor I would have bought one. I see too many people trading up from garden tractor to compact to utility and finally after six iterations end up with something useful for their particular needs.

Two of my main needs are to maintain fire roads and breaks and design, install and maintain a proper drainage system.

As for older men, retiring from cushy inside jobs, that would be me...July would be 30 years as an engineer and eligible for retirement. But I have a younger wife who is still working, so I will work a while yet and bolster my retirement pay.

Howard