• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9h bevel gear shaft.

d9gdon

Good on you for figuring out all those issues. Somebody had really done some shoddy work on it in the past.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
So update for the day

We went to change out the outer seal on the torque converter and I decided to try and pry up the converter to see the bearings and I could move it up about half a inch.
So we ordered the bearings and seals for it tonight. Planing on pulling it tomorrow I'll post pics.

gary808

Occupation
20180126_132333.jpg 20180126_133036.jpg 20180126_135334_001.jpg We got the tq out and stripped down. I'm actually suppressed how large our old d7e tq is next to a d9.
The main thrust bearing plate and gesr plate were worn so bad they were letting the main taper bearing run loose.
We have all new bearings piston seals and wear parts in the mail.
Maybe tomorrow I'll turn down some 5/8 rod to .620 so we can perform the clesrence tests. Also have ro track down some .620 balls for another check.

The main stator cover looks like it made contact with the impeller just by looking at the flange. We priced one and it's reasonable. If it's bad were gonna order it.
Here's some pics

gary808

Occupation
We also got a 90 pound box of parts in today for the trans and the left side 18 tooth pinion. Also a new bearing cage for the pinnion. The difference in the taper splines is deffinetly notable.

Attachments

• 20180126_114701.jpg
    20180126_114701.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20180126_114714.jpg
    20180126_114714.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20180126_115516.jpg
    20180126_115516.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20180126_115505.jpg
    20180126_115505.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31

gary808

Occupation
Got the pinions broken down and new bearing races dry ice fitted.

Also got the tq converter broken down and found the planetary gear oil feeds plugged with silicone.
20180130_133235.jpg 20180130_143905.jpg 20180131_103439.jpg

gary808

Occupation
Supossidly it was a reman tractor sold at auction in California. The bevel gear shaft started going bad on the first owner and was sold and "fixed" and run for about 2k hrs by the last owners. We have located almost all the recent work and are rebuilding those components.
We found rtv on the transmission cover and multiple trans case bolts finger loose. We're now going to open the trans case up and see if it's torqued together.
The tq converter was a total mess. A retaining nut that calls for 750 lb ft of tq was finger loose. Tons of bolts were replaced with grade 5 true value bolts.

If I knew any of these things prior I think we would have skipped out on this tractor.

hillbillywrench

I knew a guy that bought a small JD dozer used. After about 4 hours pushing dirt he noticed a small trail of oil following it. The trans case had an ~11” long crack down the side. The previous owner had covered it with silicon and sold the dozer. Trans removal, complete tear down, hours of welding cast iron, reassembly. Worked great for years. The purchaser had checked the machine, but the crack was impossible to see without some disassembly. Sometimes you just get Bitten, and it HURTS!

gary808

Occupation
True, it's pretty hard to truly know what your buying. We figured a 9h at this price would have its issues. the plus side is we will now truly know this machine and have peace of mind taking it on jobs.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When compared against the price of a new D9T I'm sure the cost of operation will be a real bargain.

gary808

Occupation
Yeah the d9ts out here are asking 360k for one with about 13k original hours. I'm guessing 300k to refresh one.

gary808

Occupation
We got most of the parts delivered for the tq converter. We had to change just about 99% of the guts out.
we measured the wear new vs old in the main thrust that tightens the main bearing and it's almost 70 thou. Last hold up is the new main tq shaft is in the mail. The old one was splitting on the oil holes. 20180208_092912.jpg 20180208_092906.jpg

gary808

Occupation
So looks like we're going to be pulling the engine. I was pulling the pilot bearing and decided to check in and out on the crank. We have a wopping 130thou on the crank in and out.
The up and down is only 5 thou.

Could a failing torqueconverter cause the engine to eat its thrust besrings? The book is really specific about checking face runout on the flywheel. Could a failing tq converter cause the flywheel to get knocked out of true and cause the crank to walk?
Any ideas what would cause the thrusts to fail. The engine has 6k hrs and looks to be not messed with since it was rebuilt.

Anyhow were gonna pull the engine to get to the bottom of it.

Trans is going in today so we can buttton Up the back end of the machine before we pull the engine. Just had to get new taper studs for the trans. Last idiots lost the taper lock studs and put bolts in their place.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had that happen on a D9G. I was lucky and found the end play first while pulling down the motor and convinced the owners that the torque converter had to come apart also. The vanes on the stator had lost their press and the outer ring had actually tilted the vanes and the ring was being held in a circle by one of the aluminum parts. I don't know whether the problem started in the engine and went back or started in the torque converter and went forward.

gary808

Occupation
I had that happen on a D9G. I was lucky and found the end play first while pulling down the motor and convinced the owners that the torque converter had to come apart also. The vanes on the stator had lost their press and the outer ring had actually tilted the vanes and the ring was being held in a circle by one of the aluminum parts. I don't know whether the problem started in the engine and went back or started in the torque converter and went forward.
That sounds like the situation on this machine. We're also trying to figure out what failed first.