• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9h bevel gear shaft.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
It's just primer, we plan on giving everything a nice coat of cat yellow once it's clean. I'll admit it didn't feel right spraying on the paint lol.
But yeah its really nice with all the room. We had a 977 that we recently sold and I hated working on it. It was packed like a sardine can.
But yeah a few were up ans up on the price. We did pretty good getting old stock for reduced price but we're still about 10k in on bearings and cages.

Do you own a d9?

d9gdon

No i don't currently own one.

Following this build along with the other one in Australia though with great interest.

gary808

Occupation
20180111_075442.jpg 20180111_075648.jpg Herr is how she sits atm. Can't wait to get the new tracks on her. Half of this side chain is a komatsu 355 links :/. I'm sure the pitch is metric because all those bushings are cracked.

The second pic is the bearing retainer pin we located. You cat to it by going througg the bottom of the trans througg the suction whole for the sump. Drill out a 1/2 inch freez plug and the pin comes out.

gary808

Occupation
Here's the 500 dollar d3b. It was still a good but even with the work it needs.owner was asking 8k but it sat on craigs for 4 years in the weather. He sold the ripper off the back but those are useless here anyways.
We plan on a full restore job. Maybe track down a whole set of track frames. The chains and pads are decent with round bushings.
Engine and trans have reman tags and the fluids are spotless. I started it and drI've it a bit and she hooked up strong and low on the rpm.
The thought they could remove the steering clutch through the final so they pulled it off and got it half way back on lol.
20180111_075532.jpg 20180111_075540.jpg

d9gdon

What in the name of everything holy did they do to that track frame? Looks like they took a shortcut and cut it to get at the final drive? Then why is the recoil spring cut?

I can tell that you don't mind a challenge.

I bet that D9 came from California from the looks of that slope blade attachment on the push frame.

It looks like you're on the part of the island that gets a rain everyday from the rust that I see.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Looks like the spring cage rod broke and they had to kill the spring to try to fix it. The adjuster cylinder and idler yoke appear to be missing from what I can see in the photo.

gary808

Occupation
What in the name of everything holy did they do to that track frame? Looks like they took a shortcut and cut it to get at the final drive? Then why is the recoil spring cut?

I can tell that you don't mind a challenge.

I bet that D9 came from California from the looks of that slope blade attachment on the push frame.

It looks like you're on the part of the island that gets a rain everyday from the rust that I see.
Lol right, sadly this is a pretty common sight out here. They paid 26k for the machine and did this in a year and a half of owning it.
Even for 500 dollars we had to think it over for a bit. The engine and trans were the selling point.
But yeah were on the wet side and if you don't keep things powerwasher and painted it rots out fast.
And we figured it was a cali machine with the slope attachment and even the extra hight welded on the blade. The last owner said it was shipped out here not that long ago then it got run into the ground in a short period of time.

gary808

Occupation
Looks like the spring cage rod broke and they had to kill the spring to try to fix it. The adjuster cylinder and idler yoke appear to be missing from what I can see in the photo.
Yeah figured it started with a broken spring then on to welding thing together. Even the lower guides for the idler are torn off. The last owner paid 28k for the machine witch was reconditioned and then proceded to make it into this in a year and a half. The selling point was the engine and trans. Figured find a good set of track frames out of the state's and replace the cylinder rods and re pin and bushing the blade.
It's still hard to find a decent d3 out here for less then 15k.

gary808

Occupation
20180113_164400.jpg 20180113_103909.jpg 20180113_104859.jpg 20180113_103846.jpg
The larger bearings showed up now we're waiting on the drive gear , bearing cage and about 4 more sets of bearings. And two sets of seals.

You can see how the spline was run with a loose hub walking on it. They also welded up the end and re threaded it. I'm not sure why one would not juse replace the gear at that point.
Also the races have terrible impressions on them. We're probably going to replace every ball bearing in the driveline when we're done.

gary808

Occupation
20180122_114143.jpg 20180122_114518.jpg 20180122_114521.jpg 20180122_114527.jpg

Starting to rebuild the control blocks. We also split the tank to clean it and re gasket it.
I haven't seen orings this bad in a while.

gary808

Occupation
20180122_114151.jpg 20180122_114155.jpg
Don't mind the home made parts washer we threw together to do the initial cleaning with diesel.

d9gdon

I like the big ass blob of red silicone on the green hose flange. That always indicates quality previous work.

Those o-rings have been hot once or twice. Maybe they're supposed to be the high temp yellow ones.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've got that same Craftsman tool box, was given to me as a gift right before I started my business, one of the last made in the USA ones, it has been great to me for many years. Just don't drop the tray when you carry it around, or all 3 like I once did, and as you can see it likes to fill with water.

gary808

Occupation
I like the big ass blob of red silicone on the green hose flange. That always indicates quality previous work.

Those o-rings have been hot once or twice. Maybe they're supposed to be the high temp yellow ones.

Yeah it's the sign that corners were cut in every direction and more then one seal is put in backwards lol.

But yeah they had the pilot system hooked up backwards and nuked 3 pumps from over pressure/heat. We finished the rebuild on the two blocks today and the new cat orings were a combo of black and a few red.

gary808

Occupation
I've got that same Craftsman tool box, was given to me as a gift right before I started my business, one of the last made in the USA ones, it has been great to me for many years. Just don't drop the tray when you carry it around, or all 3 like I once did, and as you can see it likes to fill with water.
Haha yeah I've had I think like 4 or 5 over the years. They usually end with the cases failing.
It the best feeling when the lid pops off and every socket from all the trays are on the ground.
And yeah those trays are a bit to watertight. I just washed the whole tray out with diesel to get the water out.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I leave mine on the truck, I have it tucked in a compartment like it belongs there. Just pull out whatever drawer I need and take it with me.

I only dumped the whole thing once, never again.

gary808

Occupation
I leave mine on the truck, I have it tucked in a compartment like it belongs there. Just pull out whatever drawer I need and take it with me.

I only dumped the whole thing once, never again.
Haha I keep ours in the service truck now. Our fits in a compartment all to well. Biggest problem is some times were distracted on a machine and forget the door open and it begins to rain. It's always raining here.
For the money these sockets have more then paid for themselves and we have yet to break one.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My 1/4 rachet handle long ago started stripping out, probably from a combination of water and overtorque, so I replaced it with a better one, but other than that mine have been pretty much perfect as well. I have a few Chinese Craftsman sockets in there now to replace ones I lost, American ones are hard to find and there is a little difference but not enough to care.

gary808

Occupation
Yeah I think I've broken all 3 ratchets at one point. Sears replaced them but I can't stand the new 1/4 ratchet it's so sloppy chinese now. But yeah I use the old sets to also replace sockets I've misplaced.
This must be common practice wit these sets lol.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I bought a nice looking 1/4 rachet handle off ebay, chrome and slick. I think it is a Husky. It works well, nice fine rachet teeth, but the blasted flipper lever is opposite of normal so I always have to remember that.