• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17a fluid

Loganship

I think its just a service manual. It tells ne how to adjust it but not anything about the seal. And where would a person come up with the tool to adjust the big ring

Old Magnet

Look up OTC adjustable hook spanner.
Outer big nut can also be tightened with a hammer and brass punch
My service manual has plenty of detail on dealing with final drive seals.

Loganship

Mine does not amd i havent been able to find any pictures or anything about it online like another manual

Old Magnet

Do you have an original 17A Service Manual? The one I have has a final drive section issued in 1964 and shows the dual cone seals. Earlier versions should show the bellows type seals. Seems your version is missing material.

Loganship

Do you have an original 17A Service Manual? The one I have has a final drive section issued in 1964 and shows the dual cone seals. Earlier versions should show the bellows type seals. Seems your version is missing material.
I appreciate all the help, i also wanted to ask about what it takes to oil the front idlers, i know ir says to use 30w and it has the button heads on it but wat does it take to pump the oil into it.

Bluox

I appreciate all the help, i also wanted to ask about what it takes to oil the front idlers, i know ir says to use 30w and it has the button heads on it but wat does it take to pump the oil into it.
Those take grease .
Bob

Loganship

In the book it says 30w oil and everything i read says to used 30unless the seals are bad then to use grease

Bluox

If it has a Alimite fitting it takes grease, Some say corn head grease I would use a #1 grease.
Bob

Old Magnet

The button head fittings use "0" grade grease, otherwise known as "corn head grease"
pumped in with a low pressure high volume bucket pump. These pumps are low pressure where you can feel the resistance when filling so as not to blow the seals.

Welder Dave

Corn head grease I think is closer to OO grade but not compatible with some other greases. There's a name they call it that basically it's semi-solid at rest and turns to liquid when in motion. Goes back to semi-solid when movement stops. I had a leaking roller and not knowing what it came with ordered a tube of OO grease. The JD corn head grease is highly regarding for stopping leaks though. It comes in tubes for $6-$7 bucks Cad. so you don't have to buy a lot.

Old Magnet

"0" grade also known as track and roller lube. If you put it in a regular grease gun be careful not to blow the seals from excess pressure.
NGLI 0 Thixotropic Grease.JPG

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Thixotropic is the word I was thinking of. I don't know if there's a lot of difference between OO and O grade grease? I think they're both basically pourable grease but also thixotropic. I read the JD corn head grease didn't mix with some other lubes. It was OK to use if you knew what the original lube was or had all the old lube washed out. That's what I was going to use until I read what's at the bottom of this post. This is what I ordered from Napa. You can also get grade OOO grease.

BPXE-A56UZ2.pdf (castrol.com)

Polyurea based grease should not be mixed with oil as they are incompatible (JD cornhead grease is Polyurea based).

Last edited:

Loganship

I got to messing with ot the other day before i seen this and ended up putting #2 grease in it but im going to get the 0 like old magnet said. If i pump it out the back with the new stuff be ok or do i need to flush it with something

Old Magnet

There is no provision to flush and attempt to do so will blow the seals if that hasn't happened already. The bushings have pockets where grease won't flow , that's why a fluid type lubricant is used. It apparently is not recommended to mix other lubes with the "0" type "corn head grease". I'd say your stuck with using grease the best you can unless you want to dismantle, clean and start over.

Welder Dave

"It apparently is not recommended to mix other lubes with the "0" type "corn head grease".

After I read this is why I went with the OO grade grease. I figured if it helps seal truck hubs it should work for rollers and is compatible with other oils/greases. I think some OO grease would thin out #2 grease somewhat.

Loganship

What i was talking about by flushiing is pulling the cap out from the other side of the front idler and pumping all the stuff i put in it out the back side. I put #2 grease in it and rand it for about an hr thats it. But im assuming since i done that i should use 00 grease or just use what i put it it?

Last edited: