• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17a fluid

Bluox

Well i was calling the main oil supplier here and they was trying to switch me to 15-40 which i know is what all diesels use now but just trying to get an opinion
Which oil does dealer recommend ?, a 15-40 heavy duty oil for mixed fleets will work for your engine in fact if it meets TO-2 specs it will work just fine in your clutch.
Bob

Loganship

Which oil does dealer recommend ?, a 15-40 heavy duty oil for mixed fleets will work for your engine in fact if it meets TO-2 specs it will work just fine in your clutch.
Bob
i just ended up buying a a 30w diesel engine oil since alot of people recommend and it says it in the manual and everyone said to go with a to4 30w. My oil supplier her said on the trans and finals to use a gl1 90w, the cat dealer cant even look up what is recommended in one that old

Loganship

Ok so i filled it with water again today and started it with the cap off no bubbles but it was pushing water out so i went ahead a put cap on and ran it for a while and when i finished i idled it down for a while and it started smoking before i killed it

Loganship

Here's the original oil specs for that unit. Diesel Engine oil is detergent type and it has the full flow oil filters that are associated with detergent oils. The only thing I'd change is TDTO for the oil clutch. Modern oils are deemed to slippery for clutch applications.
Multi-grade oils have a high percentage of polymers that change the viscosity with temperature but they do nothing for lubrication other than this feature.
Bearings on these units are high clearance and are better off with the higher viscosity oils unless your dealing with very low temperatures. Older well worn units can take advantage of running the SAE40 in mild climates and is probably closer to the original SAE30 mineral based oils.
View attachment 234524 View attachment 234525 View attachment 234526
Also attached is a list of Chevron products for Caterpillar.
Did i get it to hot or what?

Bluox

Is English your first language?
Your stories lack any kind of helpful information.
Bob

Loganship

Is English your first language?
Your stories lack any kind of helpful information.
Bob
Please explain how its lacking? The radiator has been building pressure and old magnet or someone told me to check for bubbles to know if the head gasket is bad or head is cracked it would have bubbles, it didn't but it was still building some pressure but i went ahead and put the cap back on. After i ran it for awhile i put it at a idle for a bit and was getting ready to kill it and it started to white smoke some so im asking if that's normal or what would be wrong

Last edited:

ETMF 58 White

White smoke and coolant pushing out doesn’t sound too good. Does it have two heads? If so, a cracked head is only half as bad as it would be on more modern engines, obviously. And I’ve seen them welded for repair. 17A is getting to the point where anyone who remembers how to work on it is dead. American Crane might be able to get some parts for it, but truthfully the 47A and 48A are about as far back as any meaningful support goes. The antique type clubs might be of some help to you. Good luck! And you did the right thing with plain old SAE 30 wt diesel oil. I’m surprised you were able to find any.

Loganship

Did you run any temperature checks on the cooling system as instructed?
White smoke can have several causes. View attachment 234961
No i haven't ran a temp check yet but i plan on it next time i run it any. But the other day i finally got a chance to mess with it and drained a bunch of water out of the filter system and ran in for about 5 min and it cleared up for now. I have a manual now and it talks about running diesel or kerosene in the finals and trans to flush them. What is your opinion

Loganship

Nothing wrong with the flushing procedure, good place to start with an unknown history of the machine.
Ok if used the diesel to flush it would i be able to put new oil in it and be good or would i have to change it again after running it for a while to get the rest of the diesel out

Loganship

I have run it a few times amd i have started to notice the final drive is starting to leak on the out side of the sprocket. I read part where it talks about adjust that but not what to do if its leaking

Old Magnet

Adjustment may help with the leakage. If not it's a major repair to change the seals.
If it's not leaking bad I'd suggest living with it, keep an eye on oil level until it gets really bad.

Loganship

There is nothing in the manual about them so how exactly do you fix the out side seal or would that even fix it?