• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17a fluid

Loganship

I haven't been a lube engineer for about 20 years and I bet I've spilled more oil than you have ever changed on Cat machines ,and I do know what a trade mark is.
Bob
Ok so old magnet has posted what he thinks is best to use in the machine so you give me a break down of what you think is best

Loganship

For mild climate
SAE30 or SAE40 Diesel Engine Detergent motor oil in:
Main Engine, Starting Engine and Transmission, Injection pump, oil bath air cleaner and steering booster.
Cat or equivalent TDTO TO-4 Spec SAE30 in the oil clutch
90wt gear oil in main transmission a final drives.
ISO-32 hydraulic oil or 10W motor oil in the hydraulic system, or for worn system maximum ISO-46 or SAE20 motor oil
The last part you said for worn systems, do you mean the motor or hydraulic system

Bluox

Ok so old magnet has posted what he thinks is best to use in the machine so you give me a break down of what you think is best
If you can find out what the machine has in it now would be best bet because when people change to a different oil they can get in trouble.
Bob

Bluox

So you agree with what he says to use or u got a different opinion
So you don't know what's in the machine?
Lets start over what are you going to use the tractor for?
What temperatures are you going run at .
If the oils in the machine is not contaminated I would run it a while to find leaks and other problems .
Bob

Loganship

So you don't know what's in the machine?
Lets start over what are you going to use the tractor for?
What temperatures are you going run at .
If the oils in the machine is not contaminated I would run it a while to find leaks and other problems .
Bob
No i do not know whats in the machine but i also read where they said to run diesel or kerosene threw everything to flush it
I live in oklahoma, i dont plan on running in freezing or 100 degree weather unless i have to
Im planning on pushing brush with it on the farm
It has been sitting for 2 or 3 years

Loganship

For mild climate
SAE30 or SAE40 Diesel Engine Detergent motor oil in:
Main Engine, Starting Engine and Transmission, Injection pump, oil bath air cleaner and steering booster.
Cat or equivalent TDTO TO-4 Spec SAE30 in the oil clutch
90wt gear oil in main transmission a final drives.
ISO-32 hydraulic oil or 10W motor oil in the hydraulic system, or for worn system maximum ISO-46 or SAE20 motor oil
What is the difference in using the 30w diesel oil vs the 15-40 diesel oil

Puffie40

What is the difference in using the 30w diesel oil vs the 15-40 diesel oil
The main difference is multiweight will flow better on startup and colder weather. I think monograde may not have detergent in it, but that's something you would have to confirm from the supplier.

Loganship

Well i was calling the main oil supplier here and they was trying to switch me to 15-40 which i know is what all diesels use now but just trying to get an opinion

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Many engines of the era when your D7 was built do not respond well to an oil that contains a complex detergent package. Generally monograde oils do not have that package, modern multi-grade oils certainly do. There is the difference.

I suggest that you investigate for a suitable oil based on the answer to the above. I’ll be honest and say I’m not sure if that particular model engine will work with a detergent package or not.

Loganship

Doesnt a straight 30w diesel engine oil have detergent
Many engines of the era when your D7 was built do not respond well to an oil that contains a complex detergent package. Generally monograde oils do not have that package, modern multi-grade oils certainly do. There is the difference.

I suggest that you investigate for a suitable oil based on the answer to the above. I’ll be honest and say I’m not sure if that particular model engine will work with a detergent package or not.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Doesnt a straight 30w diesel engine oil have detergent
First there is no such thing as a 30W oil. Common monograde engine oils are usually either SAE30 or SAE40.
There are monograde non-detergent oils available.
There are also monograde oils with a detergent package.
Current multigrade engine oils tend to have a more aggressive (& complex) detergent package to enable them to cope with the by-products of combustion in current-generation emissions-rated engines.

Interesting article - https://www.lubesngreases.com/magazine/who-needs-monograde-engine-oils/

Old Magnet

Here's the original oil specs for that unit. Diesel Engine oil is detergent type and it has the full flow oil filters that are associated with detergent oils. The only thing I'd change is TDTO for the oil clutch. Modern oils are deemed to slippery for clutch applications.
Multi-grade oils have a high percentage of polymers that change the viscosity with temperature but they do nothing for lubrication other than this feature.
Bearings on these units are high clearance and are better off with the higher viscosity oils unless your dealing with very low temperatures. Older well worn units can take advantage of running the SAE40 in mild climates and is probably closer to the original SAE30 mineral based oils.
Original  Oil Specs.JPG Chevron Products for Caterpillar #1.JPG Chevron Productsfor Caterpillar #2.JPG
Also attached is a list of Chevron products for Caterpillar.

Loganship

Here's the original oil specs for that unit. Diesel Engine oil is detergent type and it has the full flow oil filters that are associated with detergent oils. The only thing I'd change is TDTO for the oil clutch. Modern oils are deemed to slippery for clutch applications.
Multi-grade oils have a high percentage of polymers that change the viscosity with temperature but they do nothing for lubrication other than this feature.
Bearings on these units are high clearance and are better off with the higher viscosity oils unless your dealing with very low temperatures. Older well worn units can take advantage of running the SAE40 in mild climates and is probably closer to the original SAE30 mineral based oils.
View attachment 234524 View attachment 234525 View attachment 234526
Also attached is a list of Chevron products for Caterpillar.
Ok so is this normal, i filled it with water this morning when i got there and started sounding like hissing on the block somewhere and after tbe truck got there and hauled it home i ran it enough to get it off the trailer and parked it and the coolant system is pressurized is that normal?

Old Magnet

The radiator has a combination pressure/vacuum relief valve. Valve should open at 6 psi pressure or 1 psi vacuum. Over filling will cause the valve to open as the water expands with temperature. This all works if the pressure relief valve is working and many do not as they have passages that clog up with rust or crud.
Worst case scenario involves compression leaks into the cooling system, either from leaking head gasket or cracks in cylinder head or block. Can usually be determined by observing bubbles at the radiator filler neck while running.
Outflow without bubbles could also be caused by clogged radiator passages or stuck temperature regulator observed while engine is running.

Last edited:

Loganship

The radiator has a combination pressure/vacuum relief valve. Valve should open at 6 psi pressure or 1 psi vacuum. Over filling will cause the valve to open as the water expands with temperature. This all works if the pressure relief valve is working and many do not as they have passages that clog up with rust or crud.
Worst case scenario involves compression leaks into the cooling system, either from leaking head gasket or cracks in cylinder head or block. Can usually be determined by observing bubbles at the radiator filler neck while running.
Outflow without bubbles could also be caused by clogged radiator passages or stuck temperature regulator observed while engine is running.
Ok so while ots running see if it bubbles? If radiator is clogged or regulator how do i go about it?

Old Magnet

Time to get yourself a service manual.
An infra red thermometer gun is your friend. Check temperatures before and after the thermostat housing and top and bottom of the radiator.
If the temperature regulator is stuck or not operating it needs to be removed to check its operation in boiling water. Radiators of that vintage most likely will need to be removed and have the tubes rodded out if flow is restricted.

Bluox

The water isnt hot it just sprays out after its opened i really hope u tell me thats normal
If you filled the radiator completely full and run it when you open the cap it will puke out water ,radiator should only be filled 2" below top cold.
Bob