1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R Track Wear

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Queenslander, May 1, 2019.

1. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Where was it originally ordered/delivered seeing as it was a third world version?

What type fuel injection system did they use on a tier 2 motor built in 2013?

Any aftertreatment (DOC) at all or straight out the muffler? EGR?

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Without a Serial Number my first thought would be that if it was built for export it was likely built in Brazil although the engine could have originally come out of the US, probably the Cat Seguin (TX) plant.

Fuel system appears to be HEUI.
    No after-treatment. Exhaust goes straight from the turbo out of the stack.

3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    As I recall Tier 2 did not require any after treatment at all. Many manufacturers claimed special injection functions, electronic controls, and maybe some internal changes to pistons and heads. I don't recall a D6R with anything special either.

I was at a conference in the early 2000s and there were sessions with manufactures reps. I had a client who was bringing in gray market machines to the US who wanted to know if they could be updated for use in the US. Every brand said that would not be possible at all unless the engine already conformed to EPA rules. My next question was "do any of you makers build engines for other countries that do not comply with US EPA rules?" Not a one of them would answer the question. Later on I spoke to an equipment manufacturer rep and I made the comment that the engine people were not at all concerned about emissions. They were only concerned with the money they could make. He told me that was true but since I asked the question in front of everyone in the auditorium, the makers reps would likely never be back to that conference in the same capacity again. I hear that was the case.

4. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Serial no. Is S6T00779, possibly built in Japan but definitely delivered new to Indonesia.
    No after treatment and, I’ve been told, a lot less electronics on transmission, etc.

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Engine was built in Texas, tractor in Brazil. Not unusual for a machine being shipped to an LDC (Less-Developed Country)

Queenslander likes this.
  6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    But does the engine comply with US EPA for that date in time? I believe it will say in SIS.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

No it will not. It will have a sticker on the valve cover saying something like “Export only. This engine does not comply with US emissions regulations at the time of manufacture. Final destination must be outside the US. This engine may not be re-imported into the US.”

I can tell you that last sentence caused Reman loads of grief about getting cores back to Corinth from overseas. I’m not sure how it was solved TBH, all I know is that it was.

old-iron-habit and John C. like this.
  8. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    When in Peoria last year on the Cat tours we spent 4 hours in the assembly building for the D6, D7, D9, D10, and D11. The amount of engine pollution trim went from nothing with a simple straight unencumbered exhaust stack to what looked like 100 wires running around the engine and stack. It was explained to us that it all depended on where the machine was headed to around the world. I had thought the D9 was no longer being made but they still make them for export only.

9. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I find it a little strange that they would have HEUI on an export model and not PLN or HPCR or MUI for reduced fragility.

But maybe they figured there is no place to mount an injection pump and no easy way to get a third cam lobe/pushrod/rocker. Or maybe they just don't care about what I presume is small volume for the export market and just kept using what they had used in the past when it was legal in the states to avoid redesigning the thing.

10. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

I’ve seen a number of similar tractors, but with S6X prefix, advertised in Europe.
    Seem to share the same instrument panel, tiller and park brake control.
    These pics are from a tractor in the Netherlands.
    4837AB6E-3014-4A07-B3FF-09699AE4FB2F.jpeg F45ECE76-B441-4153-BE33-2BC3E72347CD.jpeg

11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I think you hit the nail right on the head about not wanting to go to the expense of engine redesign, but don't be under any illusions about the LDC market being "small", it ain't.........

12. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Found an engine here on site with an Export sticker on it. Not exactly the one I remember from years ago (haven't looked for one since TBH) but it gives you the idea.

upload_2019-5-23_14-52-34.png