• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R Track Wear

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
May I ask a dumb question about wiring on machines ?
Is it a design problem, or the techs that build the machine or just plain bad luck that caused Queenslander problem ?
Reason I'm asking: I spend the past week tracing and replacing a 10M fibre optic cable and I found 2 instances where the allowed bend radius was not adhered to.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In the past couple of years I’ve only come across one instance that I can recall where the design of a harness was wrong - too short in that particular case. Everything else I come across is generally related to human factors, usually related to people not reinstalling all the ty-wraps after repair work, or installing them wrong.

colson04

May I ask a dumb question about wiring on machines ?
Is it a design problem, or the techs that build the machine or just plain bad luck that caused Queenslander problem ?
Reason I'm asking: I spend the past week tracing and replacing a 10M fibre optic cable and I found 2 instances where the allowed bend radius was not adhered to.

You give the people that assemble these machines way too much credit calling them Techs. I worked for Cat at 2 different facilities and half the people putting machines together were hired because they could pass a drug test. I'm not saying there aren't talented people with lots of skill working for Cat, but a lot of their assemblers had minimal education or training aside from on the job training.

Each assembly station has a standard work document that outlines and dictates how that task is to be performed with words and pictures. I know this because I spent most of 2008 writing these documents in one of their plants along with several other people. I spent months working with consultants, managers, other engineers and the assembly line workers putting these documents together, fine tuning them, updating them, etc.

As per this situation, where the sensor cable was to be routed and secured are all called out in the standard work document pertaining to that assembly. That doesn't mean that what was called out by the engineer is the best place though, or that the cable hadn't come loose with years of operating and vibration. Usually, gross mistakes with an assembly get found very soon, and the standard work documents are changed and assemblers informed of changes. Some assembly issues take years to develop and then get properly diagnosed whether it was a design flaw, or assembly related issue.

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
Thanx for all the replies.
It is good to know that there will always be jobs for us fixers, no matter what kind of technology.

Queenslander

To be fair, it wasn’t a design fault that caused the chaffing, someone in the past has wrapped a zip tie around a bunch of cables on top of the motor, pulling this pair of wires around a sharp corner.
I was just frustrated not being able to see the sensor.
If I was replacing the sensor I would’ve removed the air cleaner housing to gain some easier access.
Not a big deal, just adds half an hours work to, what should be, a simple job.