• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4D 82J Brake Band/Steering Clutch Questions

clarkcamp

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for your advice!

I recently started working on a farm that has a '68 Cat D4D (sn: 82J450) that had been sitting out in the field for quite a while. I fixed the fuel leaks and replaced the ignition system and starter and got her moving again. Man, it feels good to rescue an old machine.

Now here is where I'm stumped:
The left brake band has been completely used up, all the way to where the rivets are smashed making the left brake useless. I can only turn right. The right side is almost there too. I've removed the inspection/access plates and I'm trying to remove the bands, but having issues getting the pieces of the bands past the steering clutch springs. Any advice on how to remove either the pieces or the springs?

The steering clutch on the left side also feels spungy and I'm thinking while I have the rear end partly pulled apart, should I service/adjust/replace the clutches?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've not worked on a D4D but all the brake bands on Cats that I have worked on had to have the clutch drum pulled out with the brake band on the drum. It all comes out at once. You will have to remove the bolts in both sides of the clutch and then you can push the clutch into the drum to get just enough clearance to clear the flanges and raise it all out.
Good Luck!

Metalman 55

I've not worked on a D4D but all the brake bands on Cats that I have worked on had to have the clutch drum pulled out with the brake band on the drum. It all comes out at once. You will have to remove the bolts in both sides of the clutch and then you can push the clutch into the drum to get just enough clearance to clear the flanges and raise it all out.
Good Luck!

We took brake bands off of the D4D 78Axxxx that I had & we didn't have to pull the clutch assembly out.

Seems we took the batteries out, and a fairly heavy piece off the top of where the steering clutches were as well as the back smaller plates. The brake bands were sort of rotated out. There is a little positioning stud on the bottom that had to be backed off to permit the brake bands to be rotated out. Been a few years, so it is a bit foggy now. We took the bands to a brake rebuilding place & they relined them successfully. Worked good afterwards.

.RC.

I've not worked on a D4D but all the brake bands on Cats that I have worked on had to have the clutch drum pulled out with the brake band on the drum. It all comes out at once.

No you do not have to do that with the D4D. You can after much swearing pull at least part of the brake band out the small brake adjustment hole at the rear. Of course if you drop anything inside when doing that. Much more swearing entails. :D Then it is a full disassembly. It is pretty simple, just time consuming.

clarkcamp

Update - Now with Color Photos!

After removing the roll bar, seat, gas tank, etc. I was able to get the left brake band out through the access holes, but no luck with the right side. At that point I decided I need to tear down the back end and controls so I can clean, lubricate, and adjust everything. I have everything off except for the steering clutch controls and that giant cover, but I have that prepped for Monday morning.

Attachments

• WIN_20200822_08_43_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200822_08_43_24_Pro.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • WIN_20200822_08_43_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200822_08_43_36_Pro.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • WIN_20200822_08_43_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200822_08_43_54_Pro.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20200822_08_44_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200822_08_44_37_Pro.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

clarkcamp

While I have got a broken band out through that inspection hole, the approved way is to don your lab coat and remove, seat, fuel tank, then the huge cast iron cover over the top of the steering clutch compartments and access them that way.

You do have a service manual?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uncjtpj45...ssembly_Assembly_D4D_Tractor_REG00892_01_.pdf

Huge thank you to .RC for the manual. It made all the difference!

No you do not have to do that with the D4D. You can after much swearing pull at least part of the brake band out the small brake adjustment hole at the rear. Of course if you drop anything inside when doing that. Much more swearing entails. :D Then it is a full disassembly. It is pretty simple, just time consuming.

Luckily I haven't lost anything (so far) to the black hole underneath what I'm working on, but plenty of foul language has been heard around my work area

And thanks again to everyone for the replies!