1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cutting windmill blades

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by KSSS, Aug 27, 2019.

1. bam1968

bam1968 Senior Member

Excavating Contractor
    Light them on fire at night. Clean up whats left and haul it to the landfill the next morning. o_O:oops:

Mark13 and DMiller like this.
  2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    A big teepee style stack would probably go up pretty good!!!

Mark13, DMiller and bam1968 like this.
  3. Labparamour

Labparamour Senior Member

You still have a couple days to get ‘em all there!
    96FA2E25-FB55-4CDB-883F-C95C87019796.jpeg

4. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    It'll be bigger than the texas a&m bonfire!!!! and with the burning man theme we might even have some burningmen fatalities to compete with texas ;)

5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Not sure I want to be down wind of a fire like that! I'm sure the resin those things are made with are not good to breath when burned!

Ronsii likes this.
  6. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    What they use to cut it in fabrication work? Super Sawzall? Maybe crunch it with a big hoe and cut it with sharp edge or even one with some special designed serrated knife edge teeth. Cut them to fit, crush in to a dumpster or car crusher. Might make a blade setup from a cutting edge to start with and 2 hoes working together, one with big thumb.

7. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    The issue with cutting the blades is not just making considerably smaller, it is the release of microfine glass fibers from them when cut, more cuts more fibers and more eventual directly associated illness. Silicosis is one, same symptoms as Asbestosis, can resolve to full blown lung cancers, skin irritant, must wrap workers in tyvek suits respirators or outside filtered air delivery systems. Large chunks buried mostly intact least human issue beyond the burial site.

CM1995 likes this.
  9. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I'd figure out a jet cutter on a hoe, over a portable pan setup. Put big sawhorses on each side and drag the blade across the work area. The slurry contains the bad stuff and you can vac truck it up. If needed, cut out a piece on top to make a window to cut the bottom without flipping over. No dust, nobody touches it and the vac truck dumps that nasty into an inert fill.

aighead and DMiller like this.
  10. treemuncher

treemuncher Senior Member

eatin' trees, poopin' chips
    I know this is an old post. I wonder if the contract ever came through? I've also seen the Facebook memes regarding this "not-so-green" part of the green energy solution generates in landfill consumption. These windmills also generate a lot of waste oil in their lifetimes, too. Not really as green as they are touted to be but then, sheep are non-thinking creatures that is easily led about through manipulations of unicorn fart inspired ideas designed to sway the masses.

Everything that I know about water jet cutters is that they are very SLOW and expensive to maintain. Unless it was a stationary unit mounted to the blade or ground, I doubt it would be feasible to operate with a hoe. Too much precision required with this method to allow a hoe to keep a cut going. Using the hoe to manipulate the pieces to a set saw system should work with a fluid coolant & contaminant containment system.

A stump grinder attachment or a quarry saw attachment on a hoe might work but too much residual dust would be produced to be a safe solution unless it had a high flow flood coolant system.

Something medium slow cutting with minimal dust production should be best. A slow operating, hydraulic guillotine type device or shear system with misting coolant spray in an enclosed chop chamber would likely be the best option for a long term contract with these blades. I should think that a Vee shaped blade with serrated edges would be effective or multiple Vee tips depending on force required to penetrate the medium. Mount that on a system like a car crusher frame where the turbine blades could be dragged through with a hoe, cable drag system or feed table and use the hoe to handle the resultant pieces to load out trucks or trailers.

Like a customer once asked me, "Can you build that?"
    My response was, "Throw enough money at a project and you can build anything."

redneckracin, aighead and DMiller like this.
  11. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

The wire saw sounds like the most practical idea,it was my first thought . But as a crane owner id take a set of 48" box leads and run a guilotine made from 6" plate with some extra thickening on them ,something up around 8000 lbs . My 75ton would eat that stuff up quick

JPV and colson04 like this.
  12. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    aighead likes this.
  13. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I didn't take the job. My plan was to use a high flow wheel saw on a skid steer to cut it down. I planned on wearing a respirator, replace the cab filter after the job. I wasn't overly sure the wheel saw would work, although I felt it would, I just didn't want to become an owner of blade if it didn't. If I get a chance to try it out without the price of owning the blade if it didn't, I will try it out. The hills above me are loaded with windmills. Someone is going to have do something with the replacements.

CM1995, skyking1, Tones and 1 other person like this.
  14. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMiller likes this.
  15. Mike_IUOE

Mike_IUOE Well-Known Member

Operating Engineer
    We use a Kinshoffer demo shear for building demo. They cut through steel, concrete, just about anything. They just chew through it. I would think it would make quick work of fiberglass. One of these on a 490 you can process a lot of material fairly quick

Attached Files:

DMiller likes this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Chewing thru is the problem, as in the video above no matter the added water cannot control the dust release, would have to immerse the cut line under water to effectively control dust/fiber release and yes there are construction workers in Demo that are now suffering from Silicosis.

Then there is what are they to do with all the excess debris? Placing within concrete just worsened the Demo contaminate issues not in long fiber form so is pretty well useless for new blade mat materials, still ends up a landfill residual.

hosspuller likes this.
  17. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

The good thing is it is truly inert once buried so they could make some decentralized landfills for them. No groundwater issues, etc.

18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Inert yet space prohibitive.

19. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

So much for green energy.

Tones and CM1995 like this.
  20. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

you have better ideas?
    :)