1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cutting windmill blades

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by KSSS, Aug 27, 2019.

1. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

No need to re-invent a cutter. Wire saw would do the job. Set up like a line boring rig (mount the drive and guides to the fiberglass ) and cut away.

Diamond-Wire-Saw2.jpg wiresaw.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    hvy 1ton, DMiller and check like this.
  2. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I spoke with a concrete cutter guy that is known for his out of the box thinking. He thought a cable saw might work. He is going to look at it tomorrow. Tonight I will research the water cutter. A shear is out of the question unless I buy a smaller one, not sure I want to tie up 50K on that. The only machine Cat puts one on to rent is a 345. The price is not realistic. I appreciate the responses.

DMiller and hosspuller like this.
  3. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    The last time I cut through a tennis court that has a fiberglass overlay I went through 3 blades :(

My first thought was some sort of waterjet cutter and while I like the idea of a shear I don't think a tree shear will work because the wood fibers can move laterally unlike the fiberglass fibers... I think you would need a *lot* more energy than a tree would take.

DMiller likes this.
  4. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    yes you are correct. The OEM of the tree shear said as much, likely would not work with fiberglass.

5. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    I see those blades on railcars, passing 100ft from me as I sit on the patio drinking a beer...

They are freaking huge! The cross section size eliminates anything machine mounted that I can think of....has to be a way, these ain't the first ones to get scrapped.

Someone ain't doing it with a sawzall....

Ed

DMiller likes this.
  6. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

Laser cutter????

7. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Well-Known Member

Global Fiberglass Solutions in Sweetwater, Tx uses a thin wet wire blade with water mist to cut them. Waste is collected and filtered. There are several articles about it. Looks like a clean cut.

https://renews.biz/36644/ge-recycles-ny-wind/

CM1995, colson04 and DMiller like this.
  8. excavator

excavator Senior Member

A water jet cutter mounted on the end of an excavator stick could be pretty slick.

Ronsii and DMiller like this.
  9. chroniekon

chroniekon Senior Member

Here's how they do granite.

DMiller likes this.
  10. Knocker of rock

Knocker of rock Well-Known Member

I don't think the plate would win

11. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

A wire saw was my thought as well here. A large excavator mounted shear maybe, but I don't think it could handle the root if it is as big as I think it is.

DMiller likes this.
  12. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    The "root" is big enough for me at 6' to walk inside. I think the wire saw holds the most promise. Although if a guy could fab the water jet and direct it with an excavator it would more economical and easy to do anywhere. Feed the jet out of a water truck and it wouldn't get much more slick. Concrete cutter guy said that the wire saw is very expensive and prone to damage. I will find out tomorrow what his thoughts are. As to the size, I see these things in the air as they populate the foothills around town, but until you stand next to them you don't realize how freakin huge they are.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Repurpose them into those tiny homes. Buy them on the cheap, cut it in half, use the big end for a bunker and the flat end for an approach or an awning. Sell the whole shebang for $ 25K installed to every prepper in the country........retire wealthy to some deserted island. Problem solved!!!!:D

KSSS, aighead, Tarhe Driver and 5 others like this.
  14. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I like that thinking!!

15. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

I guess it might work... for tiny people :)

As for repurposing them... as tough as there are going to be lots more I'll bet they make great security fences... you could build a wall with them ;)

Vetech63, DMiller and Wytruckwrench like this.
  16. aighead

aighead Well-Known Member

Maybe a dumb question but what about the ol' oxy-acetylene torch? I've never tried cutting through fiberglass and the fumes maybe rough, but that seems like something that could do it... What am I missing? For some of the $ amounts I'm seeing thrown around above a respirator and some gas tanks seem cheap.

I think this sounds like a neat job, though it also sounds like it could be a big pain!

17. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

What is something EVERYONE is going to need at some point?
    ……….A coffin. Slice that thing up in sections, glue the sections together, and sell them for 2K each.
    ……….The blades kind of look like bones...……...so have some sculptor guy build a huge roadside T-Rex out of them, a national point of interest.
    ……….Cut it into planks and build a ship.
    ……….Guard rails along side the highways!
    ……….Quickie saw up small pieces and sell them as building blocks.
    ……….More coming, I have to sleep on this! :D

mg2361, aighead, KSSS and 1 other person like this.
  18. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    As I was reading the thread, a wire saw like that is what I was thinking of to cut one of these up.

Probably better than my first thought of just using a 80K lb hoe with new teeth and just chop it into sections. :D

19. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

20. excavator

excavator Senior Member

Just like solar panels and most every other "green" thing, the government gives millions of dollars in grants and then subsidizes them which is the only way they will work. Then when they're wore out there's been no thought on what or how to deal with them. Solar panels, lithium batteries for electric vehicles all the same. I can't imagine these blades are going into landfills. Where's the news now?

Crummy, hosspuller, aighead and 2 others like this.