• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins ISX 13Liter sounds bad

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Every 5000 hours we put injectors in our machines. This tier 4 and tier 3 stuff is murder on them. $5-6k each time.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Every 5000 hours we put injectors in our machines. This tier 4 and tier 3 stuff is murder on them. $5-6k each time.
Do you have problems with fuel filters plugging.?
Generally I’ve seen that most injectors go the same life as the engine from one overhaul to the next with maybe a 10% failure rate in between overhauls. That’s using new injectors at overhaul BTW.

Truck Shop

It’s like all the other components in a machine. All part of the cost of doing business.

That's a fact, but people don't realize the amount until talking high volume of equipment. One to five engines seems like a bunch, then there's the 50 plus engine amount.

Truck Shop

Yeah, one component like a complete replacement engine times 50 0r what ever--could make a nice holiday to a TT race.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All this may be the new way of doing business, but the little companies get just stroked to the max when things like this go bad. There were plenty of pump and fuel injector failures when I worked for the Cat dealer during the Heui time frame. Plenty of little contractors got burned enough to just quit business. The cascade of failures were getting started when the common rail stuff was coming on line. Add in all the waco failures from the emission controls with DPF and then add DEF with expensive new maintenance every 4 to 5K hours and you better start raising your prices. If you can't do that, then you are in the wrong business.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
You absolutely have to cycle out these machines every 5000 hours. Our processor machines we will keep 10 to 12000 hours so we get the life out of the head but our John Deere and Hitachi shovels go just before 5000 hours so they still have some warranty

walkerv

It's why I don't do engine work anymore-it's not cost effective-run it till 50,000 miles left on warranty and dump it.
Those all over the road trucks? Oldest in use truck is an 83 mack r600 tractor. the dumptruck fleet fleet ranges from 97 to 2005 all macks no volvo engines .

Truck Shop

Those all over the road trucks? Oldest in use truck is an 83 mack r600 tractor. the dumptruck fleet fleet ranges from 97 to 2005 all macks no volvo engines .

Yes.------------You have to buy and use the warranty program. One of our tractors just had $25,000 worth of work done, engine plus emission all under warranty. 420,000 miles on it, it will
run till 450,000 and traded off when 5 new T990's show up in May.

walkerv

Little update, once I go
I tell you 1st hand that we tried rebuilt injectors in one of our ISX engines and it was an absolute nightmare. By genuine Cummins injectors and you will be way better off and have a warranty.
So umm I found out the hard way these 2 truck we have with this engine I cannot warranty anything on them because of unmentionable reasons , that new turbo I put on as part of the overhual blew the hot side wheel up on its first test drive , so we ate a 4200.00 dollar turbo . Other then that the truck runs great and is probably getting close to its first oil change .

Truck Shop

Yes counter bores can be cut for shims, but because of the use of lower press fit liners it's needed less often.

walkerv

I doubt the block will pass liner protrusion with that many miles.
I updated post , what are you talking about someone else's engine ?, mine had perfect liner protrusion , the machine marks were still in the counterbores even .