• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane Accident

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
How the heck is it that there is always somebody filming these incidents???
Great link Steve,wonder where it was or was I not paying attention?Ron G

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I saw that on the tube yesterday. It is a Krupp crane which was swallowed up by Demag a few years ago. That unit has to be at least ten years old.

I'm wondering if the unit has a quick couple setup to make it easy to remove the house from the truck unit for transport. I can't imagine a turntable bearing breaking like that and I don't see the truck body broken in the photos.

We seem to have had our share of crane accidents in the last couple of years. I know I won't work where a crane is swinging over my head all the time.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
I saw that on the tube yesterday. It is a Krupp crane which was swallowed up by Demag a few years ago. That unit has to be at least ten years old.

I'm wondering if the unit has a quick couple setup to make it easy to remove the house from the truck unit for transport. I can't imagine a turntable bearing breaking like that and I don't see the truck body broken in the photos.

We seem to have had our share of crane accidents in the last couple of years. I know I won't work where a crane is swinging over my head all the time.

Yeah inital reports were that it was a tower crane and I could not believe that it had happened again. SO GLAD everyone will be ok. NESS CRANE was operating both cranes that have fallen in the last few years here, I bet their safety guy is going gray in a hurry.

Bluwenis

Grove owns Krupp, the KMK, Krupp Mobile Krane, become the GMK, Grove Mobile Crane. However, Grove is owned by Manitowac, and Demag is now owned by Terex.

Bluwenis

In the seventh picture you can see the house has failed aft of the turntable, the ring gear and bearing are still attached. Perhaps a failure caused by repeated overloading. You can only fatigue metal so many times.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
In the seventh picture you can see the house has failed aft of the turntable, the ring gear and bearing are still attached. Perhaps a failure caused by repeated overloading. You can only fatigue metal so many times.

Good eye, I missed that the first time I looked at the photos. It was hard for me to visualize at first since a hydrolic excavator's boom attaches forward of the ring gear not behind it.

Bluwenis

Do new zero turn radius excavators have the boom butt behind the turntable? Anyway, rumors fly everywhere, but I heard that crane was at a radius of 95' good for 9000 structural failure, not tipping. The load he was lifting was 20,000. Of course, that's only hearsay.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HI-ENqgjQXM
This link shows a Lampson Transilift (i believe it was one of their 1500 toner) lifting a roof section for a new stadium back east. The lift was 400+ tons on the jib (yea its a big crane) and was considered a critical lift due to the radius and load weight. The operator that was tasked with making the lift refused it due to the winds (note the wind sock in the top right corner of the vid). The Project Manager said fine we will get someone else and they did. The video shows the result of a poor decision on the part of the 2nd operator. 3 people in the manbasket you can see suspended from the crane in the background were killed. As the holder of an unlimited tonage in both hydralic and lattice cranes certification (for about 17 yrs) I hope that they put the operator in jail for the rest of his life. Just remember any of you younger crane operators just starting out. "if it leaves the ground on your hook, it belongs to you no ifs, ands or buts! One other thing if a foremam or supers lips are moving when he is telling you what YOUR lift is going to weigh, chances are good that he is lying to you.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
wind was the cause for the boom failure. the 2 loud bangs are the main boom chords letting go from the side loading of the wind in the load and boom

Lashlander

The operator that was tasked with making the lift refused it due to the winds (note the wind sock in the top right corner of the vid). The Project Manager said fine we will get someone else and they did. The video shows the result of a poor decision on the part of the 2nd operator.

This is not true. Although I've never worked for Lampson directly I have operated several of their cranes so I took an interest in this when I saw it on the news. I also have a friend that worked for them several years that was friends with the operator of Big Blue. He broke his hip and a shoulder when he jumped out as it went over. There was a crew change on this crane but it took place several weeks before the accident. The original crew Flagman and the project manager for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries had butted heads from day one. I'm not sure what it was all about but do know some of it was site conditions, compaction and how level it was. Mitsubishi wanted him fired and they finally won out and Lampson swapped crews with another Transi lift they had running somewhere else. There was concern expressed the morning of the accident about the wind by both the Crane Crew and the Iron Workers but Mitsubishi's project manager decided to go forward with the lift.
There was finger pointing in all directions after this happened but Lampsons Crew was cleared of any wrong doing. Lampson was fined by OSHA for a few infractions.

Lashlander

Not to beat a dead horse, but I forgot to mention that although the investigation found that the wind had caused the accident, the operator always maintained that he didn't agree. He had a guage in the boom and said it never gusted above 20 MPH. One track had settled a little and with that much boom he figured it was enough to cause the collapse. Who knows? Maybe a little of both.