• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Hmm let's raise house construction prices in half of the USA because tornadoes, legit
How about lets not think we are more superior than mother nature and build accordingly to where we live and not build a toothpick frame home and pray one never hits, that if it does insurance will cover it.

Keith Merrell

I went through a couple of phases in the last few years... My first rig for the business was a 2001 GMC C6500 bobtail dump. Air brakes, 6 speed, Cat 3126. Excellent starter truck. When I was just starting out, doing mostly homeowner jobs and stuff I would consider borderline landscape work (driveways, clearing, etc.) it worked just fine as a dump truck and I could get into tight places with it. It really shined when I had a 26k electric brake tag trailer for it. It pulled my Deere 310J well.

I then purchased a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 deleted 6 speed, and got a gooseneck trailer for it. After running it for a month I sold the dump truck and tag trailer... Huge mistake. Truck always broke down and I was always fixing stuff. Didn't stop near as well as the medium duty obviously.

Eventually bought an 86 Freightliner with Cat 3406B and 13 speed and a 20 ton tag trailer. Huge upgrade. Sold off the POS Dodge pickup. Funniest thing was I paid $24k for the dodge with 220k miles, $12,500 for the GMC, and $13,000 for the Freightliner.

I recently bought a 2003 Freightliner, much nicer truck with some creature comforts, spring susp. and double frame. Detroit 12.7. I recently put the old dump up for sale for $21,000. I paid $42,000 for the new truck.

Theres no kill like overkill. I think the upfront cost of a class 8 truck is lower than a pickup, and if being used for towing the operating cost is lower, or at least the same. I have been towing 6 ton mini ex and 5 ton CTL, and pickups just don't cut it for that IMO.

Since I don't use a pickup for heavy towing, I run my old 2001 dodge cummins 5 speed. I am a big fan of the 2nd gens.

ianjoub

Trucking in a emergency is not a issue-there's plenty of trucks nation wide. The problem then
becomes what are they going to haul back.

As far as a supply chain from manufacture--that issue exist because of just in time delivery,
causing not enough supply on hand, witch wasn't a real issue years ago because there was
a thing called a full warehouse.

Remember the toilet paper and cleaning supply debacle? That whole problem was caused by
social media ramping up fear which in turn caused hoarding across the country worrying about
having a clean ass. Which raised the price of toilet paper. As a nation we cause many of our own
problems because of paranoid greedy behavior.

As far as areas of the country that are impacted every year by storms like Tornados. There should
automatically be depots of mass quantiles of all the normal emergency items. Instead of shipping
those items overseas.

The other item-any state that is prone to certain types of disasters--Stop building trailer parks
tornados are attracted to them. Forest fire areas--no brush or trees within 200' of a dwelling.
Flood area--never should received a permit to build in the first place. Building in a flood plain
is just plane nuts. Tornado alley-all houses built from concrete no stick frame structures.
Earth quakes-if you chose to live and gamble living on a known fault zone-that should be on
them bad choice-best to move to North Dakota not much happens where Shimmy lives just
slightly cold now and then.
Trucking: you missed the point. More trucking needed means the employers at the freight company need to pay overtime because their employees already have a regular 40 hr/wk route. Also, if no return load, the one way costs more.

Just in time delivery is another product of cheap prices. Those who waste (spend) money warehousing goods for when they are (desperately) needed should be compensated for suck: higher prices (which is NOT price gouging).

Who is going to pay for the 'mass quantities of normal emergency items'? I do not want to pay for it through taxes. Let those who may be affected prepare accordingly! They can pay to store such items. If they CHOOSE not to, then when the items are hard to get, the seller should be able to charge whatever folks are willing to pay (what you call price gouging).

No trailer parks because of tornadoes? Ok, far more homeless people because that was all they can afford.

No trees withing 200' of a dwelling in fire areas? More homeless folks because they can't afford the additional cost of tree removal never mind the GOOD LUCK WITH THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY WHO PROTECTS TREES DEPT.

Only concrete homes in tornado alley = more homeless people.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And Concrete Semi Buried homes Earth Sheltered, Radon concerns, kids and wife always ill, cancers, lung diseases, Mold and Mildew. Never mind I worked at the Nuke where two full floors were below grade in four buildings and I spent much of my Rad Prot decay time due to Radon and Radon 'Daughters' that liked the small cracks in the concrete to seep thru.

radon_decay.gif

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
BACK to the Topic, Nothing like a Well slicked used Utility truck, generally hardly even broken in when sell.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
BACK to the Topic, Nothing like a Well slicked used Utility truck, generally hardly even broken in when sell.

DM this is a Thread about the cost of new pickups with a side track on price gouging and digger derricks - the truck not Digger himself. Probably missed a side track here or there.:p

Just messin' with ya':)!

cfherrman

How about lets not think we are more superior than mother nature and build accordingly to where we live and not build a toothpick frame home and pray one never hits, that if it does insurance will cover it.

We look at tornados from the front porch when they come around here, and we have basements too.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could be living in a RSH there Spud not so much your converted 2 ton, Tornady Targets.

Local Stealers have begun to gain a FEW pickups, primarily Half Tons on the yards. 99% have ALL the Bells Whistles and Soccer Mom Cooled Seat options. So far all have seen are 6' bed Crew Cabs. Last look at was Last Friday afternoon, GMC K1500, GAS, two pages of options $77,xxx, NOT including Prep or Delivery fees. Went by Ford, NO Pickups newer than 2019, Dodge had twelve RAM Pickups on yard and NO ONE LOOKING. Seems those have lost luster for some reason. Ram 1500 Hemi Estimated Fuel economy was 14mpg which means 11mpg. Several 2500s but only One Cummins, NO 3500 or bigger on yard. Washington MO.

Local Dodge Dealer where got truck inspected had a 5500 on yard last fall, lasted Two Days, got to a bidding war from three different fellas needing a new truck, got $10K MORE than MSRP. Not seen a dually ANYTHING there since.

terex herder

The dealership where I found my pu had a new F150 on the showroom floor. 4 door short bed. The sticker was 68,000. Then it had a "rocky ridge" 6" lift kit added that added another 23,000 sticker for a $91,000 total. Then these short old legs would have had to add a $60 step ladder just to get into the darn thing. Bed rails were about chin high.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I heard a story a year or more ago about a Ford dealer with many new Super Duty trucks delivered without some essential "chip" component. Talk was they were planning to title 2021 trucks as 2022.
I have the sense everything after that situation has transferred immediately to end users, no sitting on a lot waiting for a buyer. I'm not sure if Ford has delivered any 2023 model year Super Duty trucks. All sorts of rumors, I think they will build on a priority of fully loaded trucks first, except supply chain issues where certain components can't be had.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The dealership where I found my pu had a new F150 on the showroom floor. 4 door short bed. The sticker was 68,000. Then it had a "rocky ridge" 6" lift kit added that added another 23,000 sticker for a $91,000 total. Then these short old legs would have had to add a $60 step ladder just to get into the darn thing. Bed rails were about chin high.
I don't drive a pickup daily. I drive a four wheel drive van. It's an easy step up to the driver's seat. I can stand on the ground & reach anything in the truck. My son's pickup I have to use a 2' step ladder to even see what's in the bed. Open the tailgate, my arms just got effectively two feet shorter. I use a truck as a tool box, the notion of climbing four feet to stand on the tailgate 50 times a day does not appeal to me.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have a customer that racked his nuts but good on one of those setups with a then new 2008 F-250. Probably his fault, (and we'll never know) but I can easily see that happening with rain, ice, mud, etc. on the work boots. Of course the boots don't apply with the Gen "Z", (or millinials) these days as they don't know what "work boots" are; but I suppose that could happen in tennis shoes or the term nowadays of "sneakers".

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I heard a story a year or more ago about a Ford dealer with many new Super Duty trucks delivered without some essential "chip" component. Talk was they were planning to title 2021 trucks as 2022.
I have the sense everything after that situation has transferred immediately to end users, no sitting on a lot waiting for a buyer. I'm not sure if Ford has delivered any 2023 model year Super Duty trucks. All sorts of rumors, I think they will build on a priority of fully loaded trucks first, except supply chain issues where certain components can't be had.

Intel from another Ford truck forum dismissed that story of Ford shipping trucks without vital "chips" to dealers. Something to do with final manufacturing and warranty but who knows. I have seen pictures of the 1,000's of unfinished SD's sitting at the Kentucky Speedway waiting on final parts.

From what I've read is Ford for the '23 Models is focusing on XL, XLT and certain Lariats. High level Lariats, Platinums, KR and Ultimate will be Job 2 later on this year. Items on the constraint list include - Tremor package, black appearance package, message/heat/cool seats and some other higher end stuff.

Saw my first '23 in the wild yesterday when the wife and I went to pick up our RV at the dealership for some warranty work. XLT gasser.

Not 100% sold on the new front end.

4691A87E-D64B-4349-9450-FB65355D38F6.jpeg

IMG_4579.jpeg

Willie if you want a 4x4 Van those Mercedes campers in the background run $250,000 +/-. The dealership had 5 of them. :oops:

chidog

Maybe all the newer trucks from now on will just have the vin's changed to match the proper year. Ford did have thousands of them sitting waiting for chips, I'd also be curious how many paint chips they have from sitting in the hot sun and weather.
A huge money saver for all would be for this idiotic yearly changing of vehicles to stop. Just keep everything the same for 10 years or so. Look at all the savings from not having to redesign tooling etc.
Also vehicles that don't sell this year can become brand new for next year with a price reduction.