• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Charging problem

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
So my dingo model #22303 isn't charging the battery properly, checked the 2 output wires and they are both showing around 14volts. But the battery does not go about 10 volts. Any ideas why this would be happening?

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
I'm having a similar problem with my Prowler. If you find any info please let me know and if I find anything out I'll let you know. What output wires did you get the 14 volts on?

Bobcatdan

Looking at a wiring schematic I have for a dingo 427, the output from the regulator goes to fuse 2, 25 amp then goes to the I termenal of the ign switch. From there it should go back to the stater from the B terminal and to the battery, hope that helps.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Well its a Dingo 22303. I am leaning towards Voltage Regulator at the moment, all cables seem fine and everything is hooked up in the correct order I believe.

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
NC, Not sure what kind of setup (engine etc.) on the 22303 does it have an alternator? If so check power at the alternator. if not the power is probably generated behind the flywheel by coils. I have a 24 hp Honda gas engine on mine and found that on the right side as you look at it there are 2 wires of the same color comming out from behind the flywheel (mine are grey) they go to the rectifier (convert to DC). disconnect those wires and test for "AC" power (mine is 30+ VAC) If you don't have ac voltage there. The problem is the coils or connections behind the flywheel. if you do have ac power then check the return wire from the rectifier for dc 13 VDC +or -. if not is a bad rectifier. Or you could have the problem that I found mine to be. Bad connections, dirty plugs (at the ignition switch), bad splices. etc. Turned out to be a simple fix. Cleaned and checked connections and all is good. I hope the same for you. Let me know more.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
It is a Kubuta Diesel. The alter has 2 blue wires coming from the back when engine is running I checked DC both wires showing around 15 volts. Thoughts?

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
One of the DC wires with 15 VDC should connect to the same terminal on the starters solenoid as the red battery terminal ( may be fused; check fuse ifthere is one). this charges the battery after the machine starts. After starting the machine, measure DC from the Positive solenoid terminal to ground. That 15 VDC should be present. If it is then your positive battery cable is not making a good connection or is bad. Or you have a shorted cell in the battery. if it isn't you have a bad wire from alt to solenoid. Please let me know results.

Last edited:

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
So the 2 wires that go from the alt goes to a plug that connects to the voltage regulator. See attached picsDingo1.jpgDingo2.jpgDingo3.jpg

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Great pics!! That small white wire (looks white) in your last picture that is connected to the solenoid above the red battery wire should have 15 Volts Dc on it to ground. if so bad connection to battery, bad wire or bad battery. If not bad regulator / rectifier (silver/aluminum thing with the cooling fins), bad connection or bad wire. You're almost there! Measure that voltage(solenoid with red and small white wire) to ground and it will tell us which direction to go. Pray for 15 Volts DC!!!!!

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
NC, I'm leaving the computer now. Won't be back for some time.... If you want more info after taking that measurement call me @412-965-1580. my cell.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Changed batteries just to get it to start, metered white wire and red wire on solenoid, getting 11.9 volts same as what battery is metered at. Checked battery after running was 11.9 when I first attempted to start I checked battery first was at 12.7 volts. So a few days ago gut feeling was regulator went ahead and ordered it, are we on the same page that the regulator is to blame for not recharging battery? And the dummy battery light on console being illuminated?

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
Sounds like Regulator/rectifier to me. And or bad connections. Some isopropyl alcohol and and acid brush would tell for sure. I never spend $50.00 when $1.00 does the trick. Keep me advised...

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Ok so the new voltage regulator has arrived, still showing the dumbie charging system light on console.... What next...

FIREMANMARK

Occupation
Firefighter
What is the stand alone voltage on your battery (not connected to anything)? Must be at 12.5 to excite the engine coils to create the feedback to recharge the battery. I know sounds wrong because we are all used to starting a car with a low battery and they charge up while running. These don't as far as I was told. Gotta have a good battery to get a good battery. Also connections! Check and clean all connections. I just got my regulator today $135.00 going to put it in and hope it works...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
NCPipe, that's a permanent magnet alternator, it produces alternating current (AC), not direct current (DC). They have a low amp output therefore don't charge real hot at idle, engine has to be revved to get a good charge from them.

You should test those two blue output wires with multi tester set on AC current, can't remember what voltage should be though, thinking it should be more than 20 to 25 volts AC.