• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chainsaw thread

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Yes, it has a Detroit in it. I saw that much. Will be starting a road job in the area. When I can get enough pics to make a decent post, I will put them up. It has a very cool dipper stick and bucket on it. I took some pics of the Partner tonight, and will post them later. Tomorrow I MAKE it run.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Eh, Heh, Heh, Heh. I love it when a plan falls together. Gretchen not needed. Spark? Affirmative, bright blue. Compression 145. Switches, choke all working? Affirmative. Pour gas in plug hole and carb. Replace spark plug. Knot up muscle like grape fruit and pull several times. Spits and sputters. So does the saw. Repeat. Same. Repeat again. Same. Dump old gas from tank. (dispose of properly, hahaha) Prime carb again. Grit teeth and yank on cord some more. Saw fires up. Revs up some, then roars to life. Cleans up, then runs like a raped ape. Cut a few blocks of wood. Chips flying. 'Smoke' smiling. :) Saw seemed happy to be working again. Back in house now, clothes and hands smell like 2 stroke, wood chips, and bar oil.
It's usually much harder to get these big saws going after sitting so long. Often involves pulled muscles, swearing, and perhaps even a broken recoil rope. Not today.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I have this vision of some guy named Smoke looking down at his saw sitting there quietly on the ground after he finally satisfies himself and cuts it off, lighting a cig, and saying, "Was it good for you?" :D

akroadrunner

Occupation
Vigilant. The only one who wouldn't be satisfied in this deal, is the fellow who sold me such a nice saw, so cheap. He didn't even know if it ran. Haha!!! Course his arms were so skinny (not like our friend Gretchen) that he did not want to attempt to crank a 100 cc saw with no compression release. He would have been embarrassed. Never mind the likely hood of rupturing himself. Dad told me anytime you see someone holding a saw close and revving her up, but not cutting anything, they're having fun and not working. Especially in the pre anti vibe days. Sure, it was good! BTW, the seller is the one who set the low price. I had no choice but to take it home. At least I have the good sense to wrestle the monster back to life with no one looking. My dog was the only witness, and she is used to seeing me with my eyes bugged out, red face, and sweating like a pig while struggling with a big saw.

BDFT

I should relate this story. Back in the early 80's when the 064 first came out I worked with a faller that went out and bought one. The early 064's had a bad habit of sucking the carb full of fine snow and freezing up. Stihl solved the problem the next year or so but Wayne went out and bought one of the first one's he could get his hands on.
He showed up Monday morning, proud as Hell of his new, light 064. Better in every way from his old 056. He slogged through the snowbank and down the hill to the first tree and fired up his saw. It ran until the carb sucked full of snow and then quit, about halfway through his first cut. He floundered up through the snow, back to his pickup and thawed out his saw, fired it up, and back down the bank he went. The saw ran for a minute or two and froze up again. Back up the hill to his pickup. Thawed out the saw, fired it up and down into the snow again.
This went on a few more times until he calmly climbed back up to his truck, took his falling ax and chopped his brand new saw into a million pieces. All the while screaming obscenities at the gods, Stihl and anyone else he could think of. He then unlimbered his old beat up 056, waded into the snow and went to work. The 056, of course, never gave a minutes trouble. There was literally nothing left on that 064 that was useable. Wayne fell with 056's after that until the day he died.

Wolfcsm

Vigilant. The only one who wouldn't be satisfied in this deal, is the fellow who sold me such a nice saw, so cheap. He didn't even know if it ran. Haha!!! Course his arms were so skinny (not like our friend Gretchen) that he did not want to attempt to crank a 100 cc saw with no compression release. He would have been embarrassed. Never mind the likely hood of rupturing himself. Dad told me anytime you see someone holding a saw close and revving her up, but not cutting anything, they're having fun and not working. Especially in the pre anti vibe days. Sure, it was good! BTW, the seller is the one who set the low price. I had no choice but to take it home. At least I have the good sense to wrestle the monster back to life with no one looking. My dog was the only witness, and she is used to seeing me with my eyes bugged out, red face, and sweating like a pig while struggling with a big saw.

http://www.techno-industrial.com/sureshot/sureshot.html

You might find the SURESHOT a good option for helping start stubborn saws. Saw one work at a get together in Northern Oklahoma in March. Bought one for myself soon after.

Hal

akroadrunner

Occupation
I have no idea what a SURESHOT is. What I do know is that many people have ruined 2 strokes attempting to start them using starter fluid. No lubrication. Often thought I should just hook a drill motor up on the flywheel side. Starting the Partner wasn't really difficult, but some saws can be a real challenge. Especially if the fuel has gummed up the fuel lines and carb.

Wolfcsm

I have no idea what a SURESHOT is. What I do know is that many people have ruined 2 strokes attempting to start them using starter fluid. No lubrication. Often thought I should just hook a drill motor up on the flywheel side. Starting the Partner wasn't really difficult, but some saws can be a real challenge. Especially if the fuel has gummed up the fuel lines and carb.

Might try looking at the link.

It is a can that mix can be put in, then pressurized with air. When sprayed, it puts out a spray of fuel and air under pressure. Worked well at starting my rather stubborn MS880.

Hal

akroadrunner

Occupation
Sorry there Wolfcsm, I didn't spot the link the first time I looked at your post. Thanks for putting that up. I sent them an email. Got a generator that the fuel went bad in. Thinking I might be able to get it running, using one of the sureshots without having to rebuild the carb. Should have used some fuel stabilizer in it. Fuel doesn't go bad as fast here as in other places, since our weather is cooler, but I think I'm going to use the stabilizer more often.

And Vigilant, I've seen saws started with a 'pony motor' at the Logger Playdays. You don't want the extra weight of a starter motor if you're running an aluminum small block V8 on your saw. The saw was carried by 2 guys and set in front of the log. It was fired up while sitting there, and then the studly operator stood over it, picked it up, fire walled the throttle, and dropped it through the log. Took something like 2.5 seconds to saw through a log that I cut in 30 seconds with a standard production saw.

Oldtimer

I run a 372XP with a 24" bar, and a 575XP with a 24" bar. Just put a new carb on the 575, ethanol ate the original.
People say bad things about the 575, but this one has given me 5 years and many loads of wood. Prefer it all day over the 372.
Keeps your arms in shape limbing with it.
Will be buying a 576XP CARBED soon. No need of a larger saw here, just keep the chain sharp.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Oldtimer, I think the 75cc saws are probably just about the ideal size for most cutting jobs. I wore out my 61 cc Stihl 041 and rebuilt it. Still use it a lot. 28" bar. Now I am using a Stihl MS 440 Mag for most jobs. I think it is 71 or 2 cc. I was actually shopping for a75 cc, 046/MS460 when I came across the 440. It was like new and had the wrap bar, large falling dogs, and a brand new 28" bar and chain. I run the 28" bar on almost everything, but I do have a 25" on the 034 and a 36" on my 056 Mag II. Those are the saws I use. I occasionally use an 026, but just for taking out on my wheeler/atv. If you've seen my posts, you know I have plenty of extra large saws with long bars. Mostly just for fun. Got a guy coming by this weekend to take one of the big ones to run a mill. Supposedly have another fellow coming down from the valley next week for my 075. Hate to see them go, but I'll find others. Have 18 saws right now. Runners. All ready to go, with bars and chains. Have a few parts saws too. If I was to look for another Husky, it would be one of the models you have. Just passed up a 2100 that only had 4 hours of use on it. 2 bars, owners manual, and tools. He wanted $575. It was a good deal, but I wouldn't have been able to resell it and make much on it. Likely would have had to sit on it awhile, or ship it to the PNW.

Vigilant

Occupation
I have two 041s at present, one in near mint condition. Been through two 372XPs, and liked 'em. I'll stick with my MS440.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Sharpen the chains, fill them with fuel, and fire those mothers up. Let's make some sawdust. Well really, if you got them sharpened correctly, LET'S MAKE SOME WOOD CHIPS!!! Oh, and hey Vigilant, let's see some pics of your wood cutters. I'm really kind of expecting to see a big wide grin on some studly looking fellow, with the wood chips flying. Please don't disappoint me. Pretty sure you don't need Gretchen to start your saw for you.

Vigilant

Occupation
I'm 6'4, but my brawn is transitioning to something else at my age. Years ago, I was built like a freight train. Now, I can hold my own, but I don't work out any more, and have a bit of a gut. I need to fix dat. Gotta at least keep up the image.

I have never seen a need for a compression release on anything up to an 066, but the old 051s, 070s, 090s, etc. really needed some help.

I have cut a lot of wood with an 041, and that sound brings back memories. Even so, while it's nice to make a few cuts with an oldie, I prefer my MS440 for actual work. Best saw I have ever owned.

Back in the day at Vail, they came across a 14 foot diameter Sitka spruce that had to go to the mill. They cut the tip off of one 16" roller nose bar, and the tail off another, welded both bars together end to end, and wrapped a bunch of chain around it to fall that monster. Used an 090G. Loaded it with the tower on to off-highway trucks, and away it went. I didn't see the tree, but I sure wish my dad had taken some pics.

Vigilant

Occupation
That was a typo above. I'm actually only 5'4, but I'm really big in the middle. :D

akroadrunner

Occupation
I'm the smallest of my family at 6' 2", but probably wouldn't measure that now. Used to be able to look my old man right in the eye, but he shrunk now that he is 85. I'm shrinking to, except the middle. Largest trees we took out were 17' at the butt. Ran into some big cedars on the coast. Did just what you said and loaded many of them with one end lifted by the butt rigging, and the other by the shovel. Back the truck under. Some we split with dynamite. The big firs around St. Helens, we never split. Loved working with Steve Miller and Don Crick when we were falling those bad boys, and jacking them over with the 'timber tippers'. They ran Husqvarna 2100's in winter and if I remember correctly they used monster Homelites in summer. 2 reasons. Different wood, and the Husky's had a muffler on the front. Couldn't use them during fire season.
I've got to do a demo today for one of the buyers of my milling saws. They are ready to roar to life and get into the wood. Got them set up with ripping chains, setting just inside the door of the garage. Gassed up and patiently waiting for the steam whistle at the mill.Cannon Salute for Cuz 002.JPG

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
I run a 372XP with a 24" bar, and a 575XP with a 24" bar. Just put a new carb on the 575, ethanol ate the original.
People say bad things about the 575, but this one has given me 5 years and many loads of wood. Prefer it all day over the 372.
Keeps your arms in shape limbing with it.
Will be buying a 576XP CARBED soon. No need of a larger saw here, just keep the chain sharp.

good to read....i knew there was someone out there telling the truth! where about's you located?

mitch504

Most everybody around here uses husqvarnas, I use 2 575xp's, and a 365. Before that we used Homelites.

Vigilant, if you look around up there in the great white North (Carolina), I bet you can find a few Homelite SuperWhiz 66s. They are everywhere down here, and a friend of mine has either a SuperWhiz 77 or 88, I can't remember which, that runs beautifully.

Agri-industrial Supply in Tabor City NC has an old 2-man saw on display when you first walk in the door. If you get down that way, they are a great place for hyd hoses and any other supplies, btw.