• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chainsaw thread

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
you did good, take care of the 395 they are gettin' EXPENSIVE......you got a nice line up.

Thanks, they all run good, the 136 starts hard but I'm thinking it *feels* like the ignition module might be getting weak, but its a cheap part.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
I'm just gonna toss this out there. Saw somewhere a fellow was asking how old a cedar was. When I logged on the Quinault, we got a lot of our scale in windfalls. One setting overlooking the ocean was over 50% windfall. Hard yarding. Lots of broken chokers. Lots of bucking to do on the landing. Most of the windfalls didn't get touched by the cutters. I took time one day at lunch to count some tree rings. Some of the windfalls would come in with a stump of a green tree growing around them. The green tree was over 1300 years old. The windfall it was wrapped around was almost 1000 and much of the outer part had deteriated away.. Figure in the time it took for the forest floor to build up enough for the 'new' tree to start growing. I guessed that the first one had started growing 3000 or so years earlier. Used a LOT of dynamite, blasting choker holes under the windfalls buried in the dirt all those years. Sometimes a case or more a day. Anywhere from 2 or 3 sticks at a time to a dozen. Stumping powder. No formal training. Dad sat me down on a bucket on the landing with a case of powder, fuse, and caps. He showed me how to poke a hole through a stick and then another part way through at an angle. The fuse went through the hole so the cap wouldn't be pulled out of the second hole. He crimped the cap onto the fuse with his teeth. No kidding. I used pliers most of the time. We needed powder one day, and since they were out of stumping powder, they brought us some rock powder. 90% stuff I think. Told me to just use part of a stick. I tried blowing a few choker holes with that stuff, and just blew the logs to pieces. Gave up and jammed a hole the old fashioned way using a curved limb. Not as much fun.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Mmmmmmmmm..... dynamite.

I had a few lessons in blasting at Vail, from the old Powder Monkey. He crimped his caps with pliers, but there are those who like to go for the gusto. They used a lot of fertilizer at Vail, Ammonium Nitrate, I believe. Mix it with some diesel fuel to the right consistency, set it off with a cap, and it's good, cheap explosive. Just ask McVeigh.

They got a little carried away with the powder on one pit I saw shot. Made the nicest, finest gravel one could ask for, but they blew about half of it miles away. I can still see that pit on satellite photos.

First saw I owned was an old 5-30N Homelite, an ex-Weyco saw. I bought from my dad's Cutting Crew Supervisor, Mr. Ford Bentley, from Enumclaw. He left White River to take the promotion at Vail. Top notch gentleman, and he knew his way around in the woods. I paid a whopping five dollars for it. Could have had a Stihl 090G for $25.00 with a 60" bar. I wish now I had bought the 090. A year later, I bought a used 040 from Weyco Vail, for $65.00. I ran that saw for about 8 years cutting firewood, and it was finally so shook apart, after bumerous Heli Coils, that I gave up and bought a brand new 041 farm Boss. Paid for it in a couple days cutting firewood. After that, it's kind of a blur. I have owned mostly Stihl, and had at least one each of 026, 028, 038, 041, 044, 046, 051, 064, 066, MS440, Homelite Super XL POS, Homelite 5-30N, Homelite 925. I may have missed a couple. I also ran 070s in the woods, and 08Ss topping trees. Had a couple 372XPs as well. I love the way a 372XP sounds, including the idle. It's just not a Stihl. Currently I have two 041s, an MS440, and a 925 Homie project saw that needs a new home.

Sorry for any typos. Busy day.

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
I have a big blue homelite from my great grandfather (actually have the warranty card for it too.) And a Jonsered 5150, plus a couple of electrics for trail trimming, a battery powered Ryobi that looks like a kids toy, and a 1/2 hp AC powered Craftsman. I put a generator in the back of the truck and off we go, its a lot lighter than doing over head limbs with a gas job, and no vibration.

akroadrunner

Occupation
I picked up this old McCulloch last summer in Cooper Landing. It had been used on a chainsaw mill and then put away. Sat for many years. Couldn't get it to fire up. I gave $150 for it. Worked on the recoil and poured the gas to it. Everything was gummed up. I dumped gas right into the cylinder and carb. She finally roared to life. Ran a tank of gas through her out bucking wood in my log pile. Ran like a champ. Sure did some smoking at first. Sold it to a young fellow who has a love for old saw, and big saws. He got a good one, and left with a smile. Picked up a 125 Super in a second hand store in Kenai for $125. Had that one going the same day. Sold it on craigslist to a fellow that was going to put a longer bar on and put it back to work. I like it when those big saws are still eating wood.060.JPG061.JPG058.JPG062.JPG060.JPG061.JPG058.JPG062.JPG

Vigilant

Occupation
The 125s are pretty sought after these days. I would love to find one at the right price. I've seen a few right-hand crank mcCullochs, but never tried to fight with one. Not sure how that would work out for me, but for a leftie, it would be pure bliss.

For those who don't know about it, there is a wealth of chain saw info in the chain saw section of arboristsite.com.

STEVEGODSEYJR

akroadrunner, what model of saw is that? It is in super nice shape. I would love to find one in that shape!!!!!!!!!!! Steve G

akroadrunner

Occupation
Steve, that was a 740. Man, was it a clean saw. Sure ran nice after I put some new gas through it. I have a 450, an old Mac 35, a 650 and 3 Super Pro 850's. The 850's I used to run on the landing for my Dad. Usually had a 36" or 42" bar on the. 85cc's Very high revving saws. I had a hankering for Stihls, but my Dad could make short work on getting the McCullochs ready for a days work. It was like he waved his calloused hands over them, blessed them, and they were ready for another day in the woods. I took ribbons at the Logger Playdays running chains that he hand filed. He always had me use a chain that was close to half wore out. Claimed the spun faster.
Just before St helens exploded, he had me in the yarder for a month or so, while he tended to other things. we had a couple different guys chasing on the landing. When he got back in the seat of our Skagit, and put me back on the landing. I would normally back on the landing, I had a little surprise. I drove crummie every day. Well I pulled up to the landing and went to unload saws. Always kept 2 on the landing and one in the truck. Whoa, there's 6 saws back there. I grabbed the 2 I would normally use and 5 gallons of saw gas, a jug of bar oil and my lunch. Dad had the engine fired and the crew was grabbing a turn just below the landing. By the time I got the truck parked in the turnout, and hustled back to the landing, Dad was dropping a turn. I unbelled 3 chokers and grabbed a saw to buck a broken end. Whoops, something wrong with the saw. I ran back to the base of the tower and grabbed the other. No go. This one was screwed up too. I took the one in the worst shape and ran for the truck to swap it for one of the 3 there. I couldn't find a saw out of the 6 that was ready to go. Chain jammed in the end of the roller. Broken recoil. Fouled plug. Bent bar. Anyway, I got one of them going soon enough, and for a good part of the day, I worked on saws. I didn't want to hand Dad 5 or 6 broken saws at the end of the day, plus you can't have just 1 working saw. Someone may need to cut me out of a jam! I had 3 working properly at the end of the day, 1 needed minor work, another needed a lot of parts and work, the last one was completely boned out! I used to mark my saws. Started by scratching my nickname on one next to the recoil rope. "SMOKE" Brand new saw and I carved it up. Dad was mad at first, but I told him I wanted everyone else to keep their hands off that one. The next saw, I scratched 'smoke' on it again. Someone said I couldn't claim them all, so I made the first one say 'smoke 1'. Soon every saw said 'Smoke' and a number. Made it nice when I could give Dad a list of which saw needed what. Now my brothers and I all have these saws leftover from the 'old' days, with my nickname scratched in them. I might let on in another thread how I got the nickname. It was given to me by our all Indian crew on the Quinault Indian Reservation in 1973. Lond story to give you the model number on that nice looking McCulloch, Huh? Sorry!090.JPG003.JPG093.JPG059.JPG

akroadrunner

Occupation
Went down to the shop today to pull the studded tires off the F250. Put the summer mud boggers on. Nice day out, so grabbed the 056 Mag 2 and sawed a load of wood. This is only the second time that saw has cut wood since it was new about 1992. I bought it off Ebay last year. I was the one who got to burn the paint off the muffler. It MELTED through the wood. Funny what 94 cc's and a super sharp chain can do.

Vigilant

Occupation
I still love that darn thing called an 066. Probably my favorite saw of all time. Unfortunately, I'm not in the shape I used to be in, and an 066 will tire me out a lot sooner than an 044.

I ran an 056 just a little bit years ago, and I was impressed. That saw definitely changed the course of chain saw technology, for the better.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Here is a pic of my current Stihl saws. Have 10 of them right now. They come and go, although the 041, I have had since 1982. Worn it out and rebuilt it. I'm looking for chain brake parts for it now, so I can keep it in the 'working' line up. Prefer to run saws with a chain brake these days. Took the MS 440 Magnum out today and cut 2 loads of spruce firewood. We have in this pic, an 026, 034, 041, S-10, ms440 mag, 051, 056 Magnum 2, 075, 076, and the mother of all saws, the 090. All run great and pretty much everything works with the exception of a couple of kill switches. I also have 5 McCullochs, 85 cc's and larger, 2 Homelites one of which is the 100cc 1130G with a 4 foot bar and half inch pitch chain. I will be adding a 2100 Husky soon with a 42" bar. Only has 4 hours run time on it. What will I cut with that around here? In the past 12 months, I've sold 8 Stihls including an 090 and 076, 5 Huskys, and 1 McCulloch 125.10 STIHLS 004.JPG

Vigilant

Occupation
^^^^

Looks like somebody is making entirely too much money. :D

I am now ashamed to even think about posting my little fleet. I would have to say, out of all the saws I have owned and operated, I like the 066 the best. It just takes a little too much out of me to operate one in these golden years. The 064 is a really nice compromise in that regard, and I now wish I had never sold the one I had. I have two 041s at present, among others, and cranking one of them up sure does bring back memories.

akroadrunner

Occupation
I do make a small profit when I buy an old saw, fix it up, and resell it. Mostly just like the big saws, and old saws. When I was a young kid, we lived in a too small of a house. Dad kept his chain saws in our bedroom. We had to push them under the bed so as to not trip over them. I will occasionally use the BIG ones to buck up some firewood, if I am working in a cold deck. Once you get them started, and the chain is sharp, the cutting part is easy. Just keep them tuned up. And, Oh Yeah, you can never really have too many. I am gearing up for a small clearing job. I will bring the 034. MS 440 Mag, and the 056 Mag 2. There will be tools, and an extra bar and chain in the truck. Each saw will have it's own job. I remember days when I limped through till quitting time with the only saw still running, on it's last leg. Not a good feeling. Especially when it's 75 miles back to the shop. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you. Someone may need your saw to cut a log off of you! Seen it happen!

Last edited:

akroadrunner

Occupation
Never start down off the landing to cut something for the rigging crew, without making sure the saw is full of gas and oil. Bring your bar wrench and a file. That's what those pockets in the leg of your rigging jeans are for. If you let the pull rope get a little ragged, you will find out at the back of the show. When you finish the job, and shut her down, set the kill switch back to 'run'. All you need to do when you need her again, is a short stroke of the rope. No fumbling around. If you can't tell if it needs gas when you pick it up, you need more time on the handle bar. An empty saw just feels light.

Vigilant

Occupation
I truly wish I still lived in an area where big, older saws are plentiful, and can be bought at a good price. I do the same thing now and then, but not nearly as often. Not as many opportunities.

akroadrunner

Occupation
You know Vigilant, the big saws are where you find them. Sure the PNW is loaded up with monster saws that were used in the Old Growth and shake cutting, but try finding one that isn't beat to hell. They are out there, but more beaters than not. Big saws are not needed here, so that may be one reason why I am able to find a nice one now and then. I'm willing to bet that plenty of folks headed North thinking they would need a big saw in Alaska. In S.E. sure, but not around here, so they sat in the shed.
Now if I can just find a young fellow, (or fellowette) that can knot up a bicep like a grape fruit, to help me get those monsters fired up for the first time after they have sat in someone's shed for twenty years....... Once I've got them back to life, it aint so bad to get 'em going. UUUHHHHHHG. Help, I think I've ruptured myself.
If I was back where you are, (well now I just wouldn't be, but if I was) I would be looking for even OLDER stuff. Bet you could locate some old 2 man stuff there in some one's musty old shed. Post on Craigslist that you are looking for BIG, OLD saws. Let us know what happens. In the meantime, I need a dudette to help with my saws. She should look like this.3n73p53l05Of5Q15Rb9a28b71842a11d11362.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
If I met a dudette with that kind of brawn, I would have to mend my ways and become a gentleman, or a reasonable facsimile. Of course, it does seem as though I start becoming nicer when Winter is coming on.... :D

I need to watch Craigslist more than I do, you're right. A gyppo logger gave my Dad a 2-man Mc Culloch in near mint condition years ago. I bugged him to death to help me crank it up, but it never happened. He finally got tired of looking at it, and gave it to a rummage sale.

When they finally got the bugs worked out of the 050, and called it an 051, the 090Gs at Vail saw very little use. They finally broomed a lot of 'em. I could have had one with a 60" bar for $25.00 in nice shape. Hindsight's 20/20.

I still say, the nicest LOOKING production saw back them, IMHO, was the Homelite 870.

akroadrunner

Occupation
WEEEELLLL. Found another BIG one today. A Partner P-100 Super. This is the same saw as the McCulloch 1000. Production started in 1982 in Sweeden. 100 cc's. Has a 36" bar and .404 chain. Have not started it yet, but it has a ton of compression. I plan to put the compression tester on it tomorrow and check for spark. Now if I can just get 'Gretchen' to give me a hand on the business end of the recoil rope...... Better eat my Wheaties tomorrow morning, just in case she is unavailable. I will post up a pic soon. I am loading the camera up with some stuff to post. Stole a pic of a very nice Bucyrus Erie (sp) cable shovel yesterday. Only got one pic since it was behind a locked gate and I didn't have permission. I plan to go back and find the owner to see if I can crawl around it. Model 30 Series 3. Very Nice.

Vigilant

Occupation
30B is a nice size machine. Probably runs off a 4-71, I would guess.

Nice score on the saw, looking forward to the pics.

I am in the process of loading my camera with everything this area has to offer: mosquitoes, redbugs, ticks, and water moccasins.