• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar SIS. Tricks and tips, questions and answers.

Cmark

OK, just to get the ball rolling;

Q. What is SIS.
A. Caterpillar's online Service Information System.

Q. Can I see it?
A. Yes, if you have an account with a Cat dealer.

Q. What information can I see?
A. It depends on your access level. A basic parts store customer can look up parts only. A subscription customer can see most documentation relating to operation and maintenance, disassembly and assembly, and the Numerical Parts Record (NPR). Dealer employees also get access to service letters, product recalls and information on the mining products line amongst other things.

Q. What does it cost?
A. As far as I know, parts store access is free in all countries. A customer subscription will be, depending on country, around $1000 per year I think.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We just got SIS. Parts store is worth what you pay for it.....

Our subscription is $1,250 a year. I've played some, I'll have more fun with it off the clock that I will on :)

JD955SC

As a dealer tech, I'd say the biggest tip is to master the art of the advanced search and have patience because while what you seek is likely in SIS it is NOT exactly an intuitive layout to find it- Cat likes to call parts their own names (or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a hopelessly generic name) and the info you seek might be scattered across three different sections. It also takes a bit to translate from engineerese into plain English sometimes

Does customer level get access to Systems Operations?

JPV

My customer version has Systems Operations. I am glad to hear that I am not doing something wrong when I am looking in several different spots for info that should be in the same area. Today I assembled the overhead on a C 15 and finding torque specs and clearances for valves, jakes, and intake valve actuators was the hardest part of the job. I have had it for 4 years and use it about once a week on average so I have some experience. I love it but it could use improvement for sure.
Great idea for a thread, I don't have any good tricks to offer but will keep an eye on this one.

Cmark

Yes. Advanced search is a great tool. I've been using SIS since microfiche was phased out so it actually seems quite logical to me lol.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
One thing that has bit me in the ass with SIS is using only the prefix when looking up parts. If I enter the last 8 of the S/N it usually only lists items specific to that particular machine.

Cmark

Yep, in the early days a prefix got you as far as you could go. In the last several years however the information has become much more comprehensive. Just think about it! Enter a complete serial number and Boom! You instantly access Cat's database and find out EXACTLY how and when that machine left the factory. Completely awesome IMO.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Items like switches and sensors sometimes have to be found in the schematics sections and that is a real pain. The schematics are huge and have to be followed in sections. The system is as good as any other that I've had to deal with in the past though.

JD955SC

Items like switches and sensors sometimes have to be found in the schematics sections and that is a real pain. The schematics are huge and have to be followed in sections. The system is as good as any other that I've had to deal with in the past though.

I have a love/hate relationship with the schematics

Love being able to download and search the schematic with the finder tool. HATE only seeing a tiny infintisimal portion at a time.

$5 at Staples gets you a blown up copy if you take the thumb drive to them with the downloaded PDF but it will be in B&W and you will need a magnifying glass. There is also the collage option but it is a hassle

Jonas302

I only have the free parts store end I find it extremely helpful to have even though it does take a little searching around it also helps you understand why the parts guys need a few minutes sometimes (;

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One thing that I have found about some schematics for wiring is if you click on the arrow near the top right of the page it will let you download it as a PDF file and save it to your computer. Then if you view the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat program you can use the "Find" option and then say enter the number off a wire and click on through the diagram to see all the various places that wire goes. It can give you ideas of which connectors it passes through so you can do some continuity checks.

Cmark

One thing that I have found about some schematics for wiring is if you click on the arrow near the top right of the page it will let you download it as a PDF file and save it to your computer.

That's the first thing I do with a schematic. Download it and save it to a seperate folder on the hard drive. You can then view it full screen with your PDF reader and you build up a library of schematics for the machines that you repair.

Queenslander

I only have Partstore and also find it extremely helpful, I especially like the price and availability function.
We have next to zero internet away from the house so Iam thinking the DVD SIS option might be the way to go.
Any pros/cons?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I only have Partstore and also find it extremely helpful, I especially like the price and availability function.
We have next to zero internet away from the house so Iam thinking the DVD SIS option might be the way to go.
Any pros/cons?

My understanding all new SIS is web based. You can buy the cd's used though, I see them on EBAY from time to time.

Cmark

Any pros/cons?

Pros -
You can rip the DVDs to your hard drive which makes SIS super fast.
You can get it licensed by an (ahem) "overseas" supplier which means you can get a perpetual license and you can also get dealer level access.

Cons -
It is never updated unless you buy a new set of DVDs. It's not a problem though unless you are working on the very latest equipment.
You can only access it on the one computer.

Queenslander

I’ve always been a bit leery of the eBay scene for this sort of thing, so will check it out with HD, (local Cat dealer), in the new year.
BTW, Season’s greetings to all fellow HEFers, look forward to catching up in 2018.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
We just got SIS. Parts store is worth what you pay for it.....

Our subscription is $1,250 a year. I've played some, I'll have more fun with it off the clock that I will on :)

I'm hoping that that subscription is for the whole company! I am a little bit surprised that after being retired for close to three years I am still able to access SIS the same as when I was working. Could be I'm on it often enough "they " think I'm still active with the company?

We had a similar, well much less intensive, factory access from the Sterling truck dealer for that company. Problem is as we only had one truck at our location so I had little need to access that program very often and when I did need to use it I could not log in as they would deactivate your log on if not used in less than 3 months time. Guess they knew how often those trucks "should" fail!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's a multiple user subscription. I suppose there's a magic number you can't exceed but at this moment there are only two with access and unless something changes I don't see anybody else even wanting access. Current rate of use is me 99% and foreman 1% haha