• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat e 140

TVA

My question was about piston guide plate, was it new from the kit or you reused old one?

nobbie

just looked at invoices and yep 24 us dollars for a retainer plate
pretty sure that old one self destructed.
I will know more tomorrow when i strip and inspect

TVA

Sorry, I know that don’t know everything, but if there’s no control hoses and no solenoids what kind of Load Sensing system is it?

nobbie

Unsure what its called but when you move a lever it senses and pressures up on demand.
you set a small screw to a desired length and then a larger screw for pressure but you need to stall a cyl out to get max pressure then adjust.
The track that the pump ran was a bit sticky as in it wouldnt run until the other track started and if you moved slowly it would take off but if you dumped the track levers quick the track would freewheel but not drive
it was like the second or high speed worked fine once you got to it but the low speed on that track was faulty

nobbie

Early rexroths load sense were the same but often hard on start up so often a timer type solenoid or soft start they called it was added
they had a standby pressure of around 15 bar and top pressure around 200 bar and the standby was simply a flow precharge i guess you would call it

TVA

If pump needs a stand by pressure - than it’s working with closed center system and it is negcon LS, and have to have negcon control lines from each side of control valve to a pump regulator. The only LS system that I know that don’t have any control hydraulic lines is computer controled ( through solenoids) PD or delta P open center system.
If it is a negcon and someone removed and plugged the control lines your pumps ran full flow all the time, which should have bogged down your engine if the pressure was set right.
Or maybe I’m just don’t know something!

TVA

I’m not trying to argue here, I’m just trying to understand what killed your pump so fast.

nobbie

No worries
I am not sure what the technical name of the system is i just set the regualtors on top the pumps as the cat manual stated.
All the piston slippers disintegrated and the piston guide is in little bits so when fully apart i hope to be able to diagnose what went wrong.
On assembly i blew the oil holes through the pistons to check,i spent a lot of time getting the axial play within specs and the swash plate cradle also required shimming so maybe its simply faulty parts.
I will come back when i know more

nobbie

the engine loaded as you would expect as required whilst moving boom or stick etc but idled happily while not delivering oil

nobbie

There are internal oilways from pump chamber to reg so i guess thats what the sense lines are in this system

TVA

Sorry, but it looks like you either cut this pump with oxy/acetylene torch in half or your “bleeding” strategy didn’t really worked that good!
Next time try to fill the case with oil before starting, instead of bleeding.

nobbie

Ok i probably fitted succesfully more piston pumps than you.
It was bled and filled properly.

Pistons slippers will unseat and cause problems if there is excessive case drain pressure this looks like a busted piston spacer that went through the bottom end of pump and then dislocated slippers.

TVA

Last questio: how do you explain all that black sud on the parts? I’ve seen 10000 hours pumps looking a lot better than that.

TVA

OK, what about that 3 bolt end cap looking thing under the roller bearing, it’s no from this pump?

TVA

It might be just dark gasket with some crap on it, but from here it looks like soot.