• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat e 140

nobbie

Hi All

Recently got a cheap e 140 then rebuilt pumps,cleaned up and finally today got to have a play with it.
After about half hour i lost swing but before that right track was playing up but left seemed fine.
I have an idea it has something to do with the left hand pedal thingy as it was rusted tight and i thought it was a rest only but now realise it controls track travel? i think.
I would like to know should it be forward or back and i am guessing it links in with the hyd control lever off the left hand joy stick tower.
They control the spool that must be a valve bypass or something and tha spool doesnt seem to be moving.
If i kick the pedal hard there is a noise in the lines that join under the lift cyls.

Just hoping its not a pump as the parts were Chinese.
Thanks

nobbie

O n further investigation i think my pilot system is playing up,the track motor relief seems dicky or the seal rings in the centre thingy but am unsure why the slew is not working.
Hopefully it is a simple fix but i will let you know later.
If any one has any theories please let me know.

nobbie

Well pilot pressure filter blocked so cleaned and all things work quicker.
Swing is electrical as wire to valve broke i just need to look at track later as i gotta go cut wood as we nearly out.

nobbie

Rear pump blew.
What a mess.
what to do either demand new parts from china but i guess my chances there would be slim or look for another pump type to retro fit

TVA

How do you know it blew? You lost half of functions? Do both tracks work?

nobbie

Pulled pilot pump then back plate of rear pump and just gazed at all the piston slippers and pretty bronze shavings everywhere

TVA

If both tracks work OK but functions on one joystick is dead - look for fitting inside that joystick on pilot pressure supply hose, it’s has a strainer in it, it’s probably plugged up.

nobbie

one track and slew stopped so i swapped pump outlet hoses and it remained same track and slew but handy to know about strainer.
thanks

TVA

How long that pump lasted? No overpressure issues, nobody messed with main relief valve, no overspeeding?

nobbie

The thing that gets to me is only an hour on pumps. cat have no replacement parts so i bought chinese and rebuilt following cat rebuild specs so am now doubting myself and also doubting chinese parts.
It turned beautifully and swash plate operated smoothly so am guessing the piston gide plate snapped and threw crap and pistons everywhere.

TVA

When you swap the discharge hoses you also need to swap control hoses.

nobbie

yes new cartridge, pistons, valve plate and bearings.
I cleaned tank out and poured fresh oil into tank until it came out inlet so the more i think of it the more i believe it was bad parts

TVA

Never seen Daikin pump, not sure we have them here in US. So it is delta P LS system? Solenoid controlled?

TVA

Did you filled pumps with oil through case drain port before start?

nobbie

Yep i bled them as i have fitted a lot of rexroths over the years and saw how they quick they can self destruct
No solenoids so must be p ls