• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat e 140

TVA

Also the subtle one - low lubricity and overall quality of fluid!

TVA

These kinds of damages usually caused by high inlet to case pressure differential ( vacuum ) combine with highe case pressure. See I don’t really agree that high case pressure alone will do it ( aside from damaged seals ) because case pressure is everywhere inside that pump and do not create any additional kinetic forces, that’s the difference in pressure that reeks havoc.

I thought about it and decided that I was wrong: we do have pressure differential with high case pressure - when pistons on the suction side! And it does contribute to a shoe lift, but combined with vacuum on suction side makes it REALLY bad!

TVA

Just saw it on your piston the circular wear marks on your pistons ( instead of longtitudonal scratches) and those wear bands on your shoes made by bore walls of retaining ring shows me that your piston and shoes were rolling in their axis, they all roll but this looks bad.

TVA

And another question: are these two pumps have a dedicated passage for case flow, did that passage was obstructed by anything? And in case that there is no passage - could it be that shaft seal was installed between tha pumps.
Are these pumps were coupled “following” each other or back to back. Back to back means that one is supposed to turn CW and another CC, i this case two different valve plates were supposed to be ordered because on the open loop pumps the suction side kidney is longer than the pressure side. Having it backwards not gonna hinder the performance of pressure side but it will somewhat obstruct the suction side.

nobbie

Had outlet plates correct but rear destroyed pump not have dedicated case drain hose but front pump does I thought they maybe inter connected but maybe they not so rear pump drain would have to pass through two bearings to get out

TVA

The so there’s no dedicated passage?
The seal thing happened before so it’s real!
My friend did it, big duffus installed the seal between two pumps!

TVA

The rolling of pistons indicates concave/convex of swash plate or not enough load on retaining ring, or both.

nobbie

I cleaned suction straight strainer and tank but oil very water contaminated when I got it.. Spec says 200litre capacity I refilled approx 100 litre and run 45 mins was going to redrain and refill as engine oil15!!30 was used.but pump goes pop before I did.perhaps strainer reblocked from return oil quickly I think breather| pressurizer. No seal between pumps just two bearings to get through

nobbie

Breathers us causing condensation also was next job to do before this catastrophe happened

TVA

About the breather check if it is not OVER pressurizing, with water in oil - if it was like that for longer time then look out for hard deposits in small strainers, like inlet fittings at joysticks and travel valves.

TVA

Breathers us causing condensation also was next job to do before this catastrophe happened
Most of the cases look at design of filler and return filter caps, if they sit below the surface- check for broken or wrong size O-rings. But desiccant breather is a good idea but pricey.

nobbie

Fillers all high but replaced one o ring already around ret filter housing will drain tank and check strainer recheck all pump inlet in case of cav if water in oil does this increase or decrease viscosity increase I would guess and water would block fine strainers I imagine

nobbie

Six springs in cartridge preloads bronze ball which spacer for pistons sits under so maybe a concoction of faults with oil springs and strainer all helping each other but 45 mins is quick to blow a pump I would think

TVA

Six springs in cartridge preloads bronze ball which spacer for pistons sits under so maybe a concoction of faults with oil springs and strainer all helping each other but 45 mins is quick to blow a pump I would think

I don’t know exactly why but water in hydraulic oil causes hard deposits in smal crevices and airation causes jelling. Your problems with pilot controls might be caused by hard deposits in turn caused by water in oil.

nobbie

Found problem some nice person set me up

Attachments

• tmp_7615-IMG_20180922_124019-1847056072.jpg
    tmp_7615-IMG_20180922_124019-1847056072.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 16

TVA

You see those black specks in the filter? If those hard - that’s because of water in oil. I bet there was a lot more of it the first time you cleaned out!