• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6N pulling inactive codes 036

Philip S King

Occupation
GC, BC, Mechanical , Electrical, Utilities
036 0042.11
036 0091.02

Can anyone ID these.

Thank You.

Philip S King

Occupation
One of these is injection actuation controll valve.
Anyone have diagnostics on this thing.

Thank you.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There is no procedure for troubleshooting a Logged (inactive as per your description.?) Code as opposed to an Active one.
If the Codes are Logged then you should be able to erase them. Have you checked out the Click Box thread in Shop Talk..? Using the information in that thread should help you. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/

To troubleshoot a Code requires it to be active.

MID036 CID0042 FMI11 - Injection Actuation Control Valve Open/Short
The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects one of the following conditions:
  • Open circuit
  • Short to ground
  • Short to +Battery
  • Short across the solenoid of the IACV when the engine is running
MID036 CID0091 FMI02 - Incorrect Throttle Switch Inputs, The signal from the throttle switch is invalid.
The desired engine speed is set to 1000 rpm, unless the actual engine speed is below 1000 rpm. If the actual engine speed is below 1000 rpm, the desired engine speed is set to the current engine speed. The ECM ignores the throttle input signals until the engine control is placed in the OFF position.

Philip S King

Occupation
Thank you. I ran the machine yesterday for about 30 minutes. Towards the end of the 30 minute i shifted for a faster travel speed . Then the "!" .flashed off and on ?

Nige

When you first turn on the key, do ALL the warning lights on the dash flash and does the buzzer sound.?
The reason I ask is that generally their ought to be another warning light on at the same time as the Caution (!) Light is flashing.
To get into more detail a Serial Number would help.

Philip S King

Occupation
Do you know where the ECM is located . I guess the actuator is intermittently shorting . Looks like the actuator might be behind the cross over pipe . Guess I wl run it a little tomarrow.

Philip S King

Occupation
When I start, I don't get a fault. But when the fault occured, I got a warning light followed by a second flashing caution light.

Philip S King

Occupation
I have read the click box thread. Just ran again and it faulted . Only two same codes logged.

Philip S King

Occupation
I did not notice the serv code in the window. But I was looking at the flashing lights. Also light nine was flashing.

Nige

I have read the click box thread. Just ran again and it faulted . Only two same codes logged.
Try using the info from the Click Box thread to erase all the Logged Codes in the Monitor. Run the machine again and if the warning light #13 goes off again see if the CID0042 FMI11 or the CID0091 FMI02 Codes return. Also keep an eye open for the SERV CODE icon lighting up.
Also light nine was flashing.
Low fuel pressure warning. Try changing the fuel filters.

Philip S King

Occupation
I ordered a Injection Actuation Control Valve. I wounder if it malfunctioning could cause the light nine to illuminate. Read up a little on the IACV. Seems a logical step to change it out since it logged the code. I dont have a click box so I will let the codes accumulate. I assume the "!" Light means a code was logged. Since I have no new codes , I assume the same codes are re occurring. But not sure.

Philip S King

Occupation
The IACV has a fair bit of corrosion. . This machine sat a long time. Maybe internal corrosion issues with the injection system?

Nige

I ordered a Injection Actuation Control Valve. I wounder if it malfunctioning could cause the light nine to illuminate. Read up a little on the IACV. Seems a logical step to change it out since it logged the code. I dont have a click box so I will let the codes accumulate. I assume the "!" Light means a code was logged. Since I have no new codes , I assume the same codes are re occurring. But not sure.
If you go to the last page of the Click Box thread there are instructions for erasing Codes using nothing more than a couple of short pieces of automotive wire and three Deutsch connector sockets. For a one-off situation like yours a Click Box is not required.

By the sounds of it an Operation & Maintenance Manual would help you. The Cat reference is SEBU7417 if you want to look online, or you can download a pdf copy of the latest update from Cat for $49.

Philip S King

Occupation
I have the operation and maintenace manual. What would be helpful would be a service manual. I need to understand the relation ship between light 9 and the Injection preasure valve. I think the IPV meters the hydralic preasure powers the injection pump. I assume if the IPV is failing to supply adequate hydralic preasure then this could trigger warning light 9. If I had a schematic or order of op info maybe I could learn more. Thank You.

Nige

I have the operation and maintenace manual. What would be helpful would be a service manual. I need to understand the relation ship between light 9 and the Injection preasure valve.
You need to be looking for Cat Publication reference RENR5235. https://www.ebay.com/p/19003936276

Attached is the SysOp for the Fuel System.

Attachments

• SysOp - D6N Fuel System.pdf
    885.1 KB · Views: 4

Philip S King

Occupation
replaced the IPV valve. No luck. Getting low fuel preassure warning light 9 and light 13. Also the ! Symbol illuminating . Filters are new. . Drats.