• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977L

ChrisUK

977 is still getting attention, still awaiting bucket 4/1 rams. Few more hoses done too. Have made a cardboard template for recoil spring guards, just need to find someone to bend some sheet to shape.
Let’s hope 2022 is a productive year
Cheers Chris.
A989CD7B-03CD-49FD-B8D6-3D6EBE09B257.jpeg F635276B-D9BF-4CB8-BA05-8DD552A93050.jpeg D4D5F478-8A87-4354-914D-17482A06B20C.jpeg

Rigidarm

You’re way ahead of me. I did 3 months work on my house. Dry rot all ripped out and replaced and entire 3,500 two story fully primed and painted. I hope to get the 977k in good condition by Spring. Speaking of spring I’ve gotta tackle that beast.
Happy New Year!

ChrisUK

You’re way ahead of me. I did 3 months work on my house. Dry rot all ripped out and replaced and entire 3,500 two story fully primed and painted. I hope to get the 977k in good condition by Spring. Speaking of spring I’ve gotta tackle that beast.
Happy New Year!
Yes, Happy New Year ! Looking forward to seeing pictures of someone else’s 977 adventure
Cheers Chris

nicky 68a

This is an absolute thorough and first class job so far.The money spent will be eye watering,but you’ll easily have the most unique,mechanicaly sound traxcavator on the UK vintage show circuit.Add to that the province of having TC tractors doing the work,those lovely Cat bolts, the unusual cab and winch,and you have a serious outright winner in my opinion.You’ve also documented it very well.
It’s superb and jo mistake.
So…..the thorny issue of painting the brute?
Well,I have done a few up over the years and the final painting gives me immense pleasure and closure on each project,but in your case,I’m very uncertain what to say.It’s a unique machine allready,and the paint work is very good and I assume original?.It may be a shame to paint it and cover all those lovely black Cat bolts!
I really don’t know.I’m glad it’s not my decision,but one thing is for sure,if you do paint it,you’ll paint it right.
Keep up the good work sir.

955cat

Chris, I have enjoyed reading you thread along with several others on rebuilds . I reworked a 955H almost 30 yrs ago it took me 2yrs working every spare minute I had.The first time I filled it with fuel it was .68 a gallon. I have ran it thousands of hours since then and it’s on a job now.Doing things right to start with pays off. If you have trouble getting someone to bend spring guards I think I can show you a simple way that works. I made some for mine that work fine. I just reworked A41DDAAE-D162-4295-B045-2875AA6D79FC.jpeg a 4&1 bucket for it.Will try to DD0CC082-3F8E-4F73-B1E8-E33DEC9B7A08.jpeg post some pictures. Sam

Attachments

• BE256064-767A-4DD0-8DD4-57E3A5191867.jpeg
    BE256064-767A-4DD0-8DD4-57E3A5191867.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 5F4757CF-0A7D-4AA4-B2C5-17A45FAE23EE.jpeg
    5F4757CF-0A7D-4AA4-B2C5-17A45FAE23EE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56

ChrisUK

Chris, is there any way you can jiggle brackets, fasteners, etc, around to get the hydraulic hoses on the LH side of the machine away from the lift arms like the ones on the RH side.? I'm wondering if at least some of the damage you showed on your photos was caused by hoses rubbing on steel.

^+1
you ought to be able to just loosen the top or bottom clamp a bit, and rotate one end and it will dial the hose away from the lift arm. Nice catch, @Nige
Thanks, yes have managed to move them a touch so they all clear the loader arms and the bonnet, took a few attempts to get them where they needed to be as there’s not much room to spare between the loader arms, hoses and bonnet.
The main lift rams hoses will also need a bit of careful looking at as I think debris has come up and moved / bent the the steel lines and support brackets that run along the bottom of the rams.
Getting there slowly but surely.
I’m not skimping on stuff but it’s certainly not a open cheque book restoration
Cheers Chris

ChrisUK

Chris, I have enjoyed reading you thread along with several others on rebuilds . I reworked a 955H almost 30 yrs ago it took me 2yrs working every spare minute I had.The first time I filled it with fuel it was .68 a gallon. I have ran it thousands of hours since then and it’s on a job now.Doing things right to start with pays off. If you have trouble getting someone to bend spring guards I think I can show you a simple way that works. I made some for mine that work fine. I just reworked View attachment 251304 a 4&1 bucket for it.Will try to View attachment 251303 post some pictures. Sam
Thanks Sam, any advice would be welcome
Chris

955cat

Hey Chris, hope this is something you can use. I used 11 gauge 1/8”material,8”H beam and 6 1/2” heavy wall pipe. I think your roller frame is wider so you will need to adjust beam and pipe size to fit your needs. I bent mine in a press took less than 20 ton, I think you could use a large trackhoe or other machine if needed.All pieces can be bent the same and then the ones in front that go to front idlers can be spread to fit on top so they can slide.Drill holes in flat bar and bolt up then put guards over springs and weld to flat bar.Make pattern to cut shape and drill to fit idler yoke, cut window for grease fitting.Might want to bend a test piece. Let me know if I need to clarify. Sam

Attachments

• 494F4448-D754-442F-837A-C523F0AD7D06.jpeg
    494F4448-D754-442F-837A-C523F0AD7D06.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

ChrisUK

Hey Chris, hope this is something you can use. I used 11 gauge 1/8”material,8”H beam and 6 1/2” heavy wall pipe. I think your roller frame is wider so you will need to adjust beam and pipe size to fit your needs. I bent mine in a press took less than 20 ton, I think you could use a large trackhoe or other machine if needed.All pieces can be bent the same and then the ones in front that go to front idlers can be spread to fit on top so they can slide.Drill holes in flat bar and bolt up then put guards over springs and weld to flat bar.Make pattern to cut shape and drill to fit idler yoke, cut window for grease fitting.Might want to bend a test piece. Let me know if I need to clarify. Sam
Thanks Sam, that’s great, I’ll get some plate sorted.
Cheers Chris.

charles walton

Chris, I have enjoyed reading you thread along with several others on rebuilds . I reworked a 955H almost 30 yrs ago it took me 2yrs working every spare minute I had.The first time I filled it with fuel it was .68 a gallon. I have ran it thousands of hours since then and it’s on a job now.Doing things right to start with pays off. If you have trouble getting someone to bend spring guards I think I can show you a simple way that works. I made some for mine that work fine. I just reworked View attachment 251304 a 4&1 bucket for it.Will try to View attachment 251303 post some pictures. Sam
Those are some good looking gaurds,I would love to see how you made them.

ChrisUK

Bit of an update on the 977, homemade line boring rig almost complete and ready to try and the track guard covers are awaiting fitting. Plenty of smaller jobs have been getting done too.
Progressing now, I think it will look a different machine with track guard covers on and missing engine side screens in place.
Cheers Chris. D1887989-8851-4A2E-8CF7-A811845CBF21.jpeg FF0FB6ED-C17B-4B51-8E41-64E662447DA9.jpeg DF82A4DD-C5AF-4C40-9D78-1EA56AC74E8B.jpeg 5EA8F70F-433E-417D-BC2C-68200EBA4BDB.jpeg

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thanks for showing your set up for line boring. The tool holder might be tricky, but you have been showing Excellent work right along. I've used square broaches before to make a spot for a square bit, you drill a hole through the bar, then push the broach through. The broach starts out round and turns into a square. A 5 to 10 ton press maybe less should do it. The holder needs to be off center in the bar to have the cutting tip on the center line of the bar. Hard to do in a drill press. Spot face the place you want to drill with an end mill.
Keep on trucking Chris!