• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L saved from being paperclips. Looking for help on tensioners and injectors.

OldandWorn

How long has your 955L been growling?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Good question. I have owned the machine for 3 years but only worked it for an hour so I guess it was like that when bought. I caught the noise the last time I started it up just to run the engine but didn't move it.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Good question. I have owned the machine for 3 years but only worked it for an hour so I guess it was like that when bought. I caught the noise the last time I started it up just to run the engine but didn't move it.

Amazing how we are afraid to run our machines, afraid of a costly breakdown. I had a friend that owned a small two cylinder diesel John Deere dozer for more than forty years but he was afraid to use it for the same reason. One day he put diesel fuel in it out of his gas can. The can had a small amount of gas in it which caused his dozer to run away.
He said the closer to the barn he got, the faster it got. Once inside the barn he jumped off, took out his pocket knife and proceeded to cut all of the wires that he could find. Needless to say, that did not kill the screaming engine, so he went to the house to call someone for help, not knowing what else to do.

He returned to the scene after thirty minutes to the barn hanging full of smoke, but the engine had shut down. That little trick cost him $3000.00 for an engine rebuild. Floyd is dead now, killed by his tractor mounted roto tiller. My brother bought the old dozer and it runs every day with no problems.

OldandWorn

Amazing how we are afraid to run our machines, afraid of a costly breakdown.

My main reason is lack of time and maybe the fact that I bought the loader too soon but there is plenty of future work for it. I recently finished an almost 3 year long project running power to the property. I devoted 100% of my time to that project and now I'm trying to get caught up on other issues that I have been putting aside. Unfortunately, the list keeps growing and the loader priority is dropping like a rock. :mad:

kb9tci

My main reason is lack of time and maybe the fact that I bought the loader too soon but there is plenty of future work for it. I recently finished an almost 3 year long project running power to the property. I devoted 100% of my time to that project and now I'm trying to get caught up on other issues that I have been putting aside. Unfortunately, the list keeps growing and the loader priority is dropping like a rock. :mad:

I know that feeling of projects falling down the list! I have a few of those, myself. I have even started letting loose of a few. I really hate to do that, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Last one to go was my CJ-7. That was a fun time on wheels.

I'm hoping to get the kinks out of this dozer before every ounce of free time left vanishes when we build our house this summer! I plan on letting the basement contractors handle the excavation of the basement, but I'm going to reshape everything around it for the walkout.

kb9tci

Silly question here. Can I pull off the front cover while its still in the machine?

Bumping the question. I've looked at the manual and it says to pull the entire unit, but the disassembly instructions of this side looks like I could pull off the cover as it sets and let the torque converter "hang" in place. I'd definitely wedge it up to keeping it resting with weight on the output.

I'm still going to check alignment, but I need to change the input seal anyhow. And since the biscuits are coming out, I am going to install new ones with new hardware. And since I'm that far, I would like to change the input bearing, too.

Thoughts? I've already parked the machine back over the pit, so I'll probably drop the belly pan and take a look-see and give it a wash from the bottom up.

kb9tci

Have any words of wisdom for me, Tony? My business trip for next week is off, so I plan on taking a look-see and replacing the bearing. I need to drop the tranny fluid and change the filters anyhow. It's the only oil I haven't touched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tctractors

Words of Wisdom??? Off Me???? the front cover can be removed and I seem to remember the front torque bearing can be seen by removing the front seal, but the cab tilting job is still needed to be done, there was a ram tilt kit that I used to borrow off a local Co to tilt things with at times but it can be done with 2 pull lifts (Lever hoists) 1 to pull the cab over, the other to stop its fall (control) there was also some linkage, lower panels and other junk to remove on both control sides, plus all the usual cabin clutter that might break a window, anyhow the thing is how lucky are you as the back bearing on the other end of the torque can also give out some trouble, if you pull out the complete torque section off the trans'you need to also pop some lift hitches onto the front case as well as the 5/8 lift eye, this will give you a chance to look inside the torque and see if things are happy.

tctractors

kb9tci

I decided to go out tonight and take a peek after we put the kids to bed. I ended up dropping the belly pan and pulled the biscuits out from the bottom. Went pretty slick over the pit. I pulled off the front cover off the torque converter and took a look at the bearing.

IMG_20140330_204720_391.jpg

OldandWorn

I decided to go out tonight and take a peek after we put the kids to bed. I ended up dropping the belly pan and pulled the biscuits out from the bottom. Went pretty slick over the pit. I pulled off the front cover off the torque converter and took a look at the bearing.

I love this forum. :)

I hope that you can provide plenty of pics in case I have to do the same repair. I don't have any water available for pressure washing so any large repair like this would be down right miserable. I don't know how the field guys do it.

kb9tci

Sorry everyone. That's what happens when I try and post pictures from my phone..

IMG_20140330_213911_704.jpg

IMG_20140330_214016_380.jpg

There was a little water that came out of the belly when I pulled the plug. Just a few cupfuls. There was some rust marking on the bearing. Nothing too serious, but I am hoping that is what I was feeling.

I hope that you can provide plenty of pics in case I have to do the same repair. I don't have any water available for pressure washing so any large repair like this would be down right miserable. I don't know how the field guys do it.

I'll do my best!

There is no way I would be able to do this by myself (or have the ambition) without the old heifer parked over the pit. That has been a life-saver. My hat is off to all the service guys that go out and fix these beasts where they lie.

kb9tci

Here is another pic of the bearing.

IMG_20140330_214027_646.jpg

In the previous post, I put a picture of the race. Does it look like it's in the right spot?

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the pictures. I am going to build a 12' x 46' side shead on to the side of my shop building. After reading your post I just might consider putting in a pit. What are the measurements of your pit. Post pictures of the pit if you get a chance. Does it have a drain in the bottom? Steps going down?

kb9tci

Thanks for the pictures. I am going to build a 12' x 46' side shed on to the side of my shop building. After reading your post I just might consider putting in a pit. What are the measurements of your pit. Post pictures of the pit if you get a chance. Does it have a drain in the bottom? Steps going down?

That pit is not used very often, but when it is, its invaluable. It is a little bit of a nuisance in the middle of the shop, but nothing bad to work around.

I will see if I can get some pictures and dimensions for you. My father built it years ago to service ag equipment when he built his 40' x 60' shop. he had oak planks sawed up 3" thick by 12" wide. If I remember correctly, he poured the side walls 10" or 12" thick. It's a little too wide for some cars (I think 4') , and it is plenty long (guessing 20'), but the height is great for me, and I'm 6'4" (I think 5' deep). If I was to build one, I'd make it a foot narrower and half as long. I've never used more than half of it.

We never had stairs for it, but a dedicated ladder stays in the pit. He was able to run a natural drain tile out of the pit, so it could be used to wash the undersides of whatever was parked on it.

Since I have that to use, I've decided not to put one in my shop, but I am planning on installing a 2-post lift. I would definitely use the lift more than the pit, but it would not serve well for heavy equipment. :cool2 The farm place is across the road from our house, so I buzz over there on the golf cart to do my heavy tinkering. :D

Last edited:

kb9tci

I drug the belly pan out from under the bowels of the beast. Wow. No wonder it was a tad bit heavy!
IMG_20140331_201356_137.jpg
IMG_20140331_201635_810.jpg
IMG_20140331_211503_087.jpg
IMG_20140331_211518_646.jpg

kb9tci

I also placed another call into Jeff at Off Road Equipment. I have a new bearing, seals, filters, and a few other nicknacks on their way. I ordered new biscuits and bolts since I was right there... They looked to be in fair condition, but I think it would definitely be worth the investment!

I pulled the front torque bearing out of the housing to take a closer look. I think I see what happened. There was a pocket of flaky rust between the bearing and the seal. The bearing had a group of rollers that probably sat in some moisture while the machine was parked for a few years. I'm speculating some pitting and some stray flakes of rust commenced to fatigue the bearing after a few hours of use.

IMG_20140401_083338_471.jpg

kb9tci

How does the outside race look?

I did not knock out the rollers to see how the outside race looks, but the inner race on the converter shaft does not have any pitting that I can see. There is a picture on #153. I am not sure if the new bearing comes with a new inner race.

Here is a closer shot:
4.jpg