• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L saved from being paperclips. Looking for help on tensioners and injectors.

OldandWorn

Got another hour put into it tonight. One spring is installed and got all the track rollers off one side.

Aftermarket vs. original Cat, I'm curious if you noticed a big difference in the spacing between the spring coils? There was talk about it in a 951 thread because the aftermarket spring looked to be very tight.

kb9tci

I am afraid the picture may be deceiving! I cheated even more getting that ring out of the groove and it worked quite well, I might add! :naughty

I soaked it down in penetrating oil for a few minutes, and then I walked the ring right around and pulled it out without even tapping on the collar.

IMG_20140121_151337_708.jpg

For removing the collar, I had the roller assembly in the vise (not a tiny vise). I used a 24" crescent wrench and turned the collar back and forth until it spun somewhat freely. It lifted right off after breaking the rust loose.

IMG_20140121_151439_087.jpg
IMG_20140121_151452_872.jpg
IMG_20140121_151538_878.jpg

Now to do the rest of them.

IMG_20140121_150714_078.jpg

kb9tci

Aftermarket vs. original Cat, I'm curious if you noticed a big difference in the spacing between the spring coils? There was talk about it in a 951 thread because the aftermarket spring looked to be very tight.

I have not relaxed the coils in the cradle, yet, so they will look like they will have a little more spacing between the coils. They tightened them up an extra 1/2"+. I think the coil count is the same. both coils are aftermarket, but from different suppliers. I'll have to wait and see what happens with these, but for the price, I can afford to change a few!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Definite hands full, I am about to go down the same road on the old Allis I have. Maybe enough pieces from old stock laying around to build a few up for replacements. Nooter Corp has a metallizing shop in St. Louis, Fabick Cat and a few other shops can get rollers refaced there but at a price.

kb9tci

I'm afraid my rollers were past the point of saving. On the dual-flange shells, I was missing more inner flanges than what I had left. :eek:

I used to work for a company that remanufactured offset printing presses, and we had St. Louis Metallizing on our speed dial. They did great work for us.

kb9tci

I have been lacking in my motivation lately on working on the ol' loader. Between work schedules and crap for weather, I have not been tinkering too much.

I've started back at the roller project. Put my first one together, and I am glad that assembly is going much better than pulling them apart. :thumbsup40 years of dirt can keep things from moving without some persuasion.

Duo-cones are behaving so far...

IMG_20140212_123306_107.jpg

IMG_20140212_123318_313.jpg

IMG_20140212_124504_377.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When you fill them with oil it's best to leave a small air space (about 1.25" depth) right below the plug to allow for expansion when the oil gets hot or you could be mistakenly thinking you have a leaking Duo-Cone when in actual fact it's oil being pumped out due to expansion.

kb9tci

When you fill them with oil it's best to leave a small air space (about 1.25" depth) right below the plug to allow for expansion when the oil gets hot or you could be mistakenly thinking you have a leaking Duo-Cone when in actual fact it's oil being pumped out due to expansion.

Thanks, Nige!

I have been getting conflicting information on the oil for the rollers. Is it 30 or 50wt?

kb9tci

Is it springtime yet??? This weather the last two days has really kicked me in gear. Going from CRAP to the mid sixties instantaneously has given me the itch. Too bad its supposed to snow tomorrow...

I did uncover enough motivation to aim at finishing up my track rollers. Been busy with life and other projects that I have not worked on the cat for a while.

I did uncover something quite interesting. Im not sure if it was a CAT field trial on press-fits or of these were on the assembly line Monday morning or Friday afternoon. :duh I pulled off the outer mount and found this:

IMG_20140311_101035_514.jpg

IMG_20140311_101041_813.jpg

Anyone see anything out of place? Like I said, I just pulled off the mounting shell and nothing else... :eek:

kb9tci

It might be harder to see than I thought. The 6 bolts holding the press fit bushing assembly were never installed. All the 40 years of turning and bumping around never popped it apart.

Nitelite, I couldn't justify the cost of new rollers for a play toy. I figured this would definitely be better than destroying the rails. Hopefully I can keep all the oil inside once I'm done. I really need a bigger press than a 20 ton, but it gets the job done! I am hoping you don't have any horror stories for me on rebuilding rollers or using rebuilt rollers...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Bushing must be a good fit and not really require the bolts............

With care you can rebuild rollers sucessfully, just like you're doing. The only thing you really need to do is to check for leaks when you start operating again and don't be frightened to pull a roller back off and have another bite at the cherry if it leaks the first time rather than running it dry. If one leaks it will likely be one half of the Duo-Cone installed just a hair twisted.

kb9tci

Not to jinx myself, but those duo cones on the first half of the rollers were a snap. They went much easier than I expected. I put them in the machine last night. The other 6 are pulled down and ready for a final cleaning and assembly.

Fwiw, that roller without the bolts was one of the tightest to press apart!

kb9tci

Six rollers pulled apart looks like a lot more than what it is:
IMG_20140312_081809_734.jpg
I am getting ready to give everything a good cleaning and reassemble. I could not believe that each of the 12 rollers were still full of oil! :thumbsup

Yes, everything is marked for each roller!! :cool2

I also changed the final drive oils out last night. The oil was clean but very dark. No surprise shavings fell out, but before I dumped the old oil, I did notice one started leaking a little bit.

kb9tci

Buckled down Friday afternoon to finish up my rollers to put them in the machine this weekend. I was all exited to get them finished and button up the undercarriage. I was on my last roller and found I was shorted one set of duo cones. Dang. At least the other 11 are installed...